Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:06 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,039,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
A roulette table isn't going to keep me warm at night, share my triumphs, stand beside me in times of sorrow, or bang the sass out of me.

If money is all you care about in life, then that is all you deserve.
But, isn;t it possible to have the bolded items in a committed relationship without being married? I have that now and we aren't married.

I'm not anti-marriage, even though I went through a pretty nasty divorce; but I'm also not anti anti-marriage either. Everyone has their own thoughts on the matter, there's no right or wrong here, I don't think.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,039,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So basically folks are making fear-based decisions on how to live their lives.

To each his own.

Personally, I don't let fear get in the way of anything I want to do.

Fair enough, but choosing to marry someone might be one of the most important life choices you may ever make. I see nothing wrong with looking at all angles of such a choice. There is a difference between being ruled by fear, and being prudent and really thinking things over.
My first marriage, I was young, went into it with the seashells and balloons, "love will conquer all", fearless, idealistic mind set; maybe that's how you should go into marriage, IDK, but we ended up divorcing, and all I worked for in those 10 years was pretty much gone. I know it's not always good to let money rule you, and be your only love, but there's nothing wrong with covering your ass-ets either.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,251,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
If this is true

Meh who knows.

It's a little discouraging, but what can you do?

I don't mind marriage, but if I got the chance to be close to someone, I wouldn't put a label like that on it unless he wants to.
Get married someday and you'll find out for yourself.

My brother was pressured to get married. It lasted 16months until he got sick. That's when his life long partner decided she wasn't to be a caretaker.

Where's through thick and thin sickness....bs? BlaH! I saw how fast that paper became a doggy pee pad. L OH L.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
How many people here have fell deeply in love and stayed with one person their entire life?

rarely does it happen! L o L same applies to marriage. Face the fact: humans 'aren't meant' to stay with each other throughout their entire lifetime. Why do you think married couples celibrate anniversaries each year? Because it's not easy seeing the same damn face year in year out L O L. People change and get bored- another fact of life!
Not as rare as you think, and regardless of how often it happens, IT HAPPENS

Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 PM

158 posts, read 144,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree with you that these important life decisions should be evaluated. The problem seems to me to lie not in the evaluation of marriage its self but in the evaluation of choosing a life partner. Many people do not heed the potential consequences of involving themselves in relationships with people of questionable character or engaging in sex with those people.

I was speaking with my nephew who has a child with and is living with his young, immature and a bit on the CB side baby momma. He is about to enlist and recruiters are pushing for marriage. He was asking my opinion as he does not want to get married now and doesn't feel it is "the right" option and worried about the horrors of a potential divorce. I agreed with him but did not say my complete opinion was that ship has sailed. He made a bad decision to have unprotected sex with someone who was not right for him. He has the responsibility of a child with or without marriage and a relationship with her with or without marriage. The risk is already there.

Unless you have a crap ton of assets already (and most first timers don't) what would a pre-nup protect?
Good post 2mares and I agree with your first paragraph. I wish my sisters had both chosen differently. I wish my parents would have let me intervene to try and talk my brother out of his first marriage; I knew she was a nightmare of a human being, but they made me promise not to do so. He chose to the noble thing; they did not last even 3 months together.

I'm not a young guy 2mares. Any disciplined never married STEM professional is going to collect assets pretty quickly if they aren't debt-loaded. That is true for other professions also and there are some professions that kill STEM for early-career salaries.

I got out of school (bachelors and first masters) with no appreciable debt.

Anyways time for bed here...

Old 09-23-2014, 09:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
It amazes me that so many people are married, to be honest. Why would they do that to themselves?
To provide stability/security for kids.
Google the gadrillions of studies that demonstrate kids are better off physically, emotionally, academically, etc, if they come from intact families.

Chaos isn't good for kids.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post

And quite frankly, this particular subforum seems littered with people who have never even had a relationship, let alone a difficult one.
Bingo.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,868,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
A lot of people enter a marriage thinking it will last forever L oh L

'False security' thinking that person will always be there by your side through thick and thin, work through tough times, all that happily ever after stuff.

It's forums like this that proves relationships are difficult and don't last very long married or not.

My gf wants marriage....not with me. She can find her fairytale somewhere else.
Dude, you're seriously tuned into the wrong channel! Most people do succeed in having a life-long relationship/marriage. (Earlier stat posted was 70%) It's the remaining 30% (or myabe 20%, if you figure 10% don't ever marry) that make marriage look like a failed proposition. And most of those 30% who divorce get married again, and some of those end in divorce. So it's the same people generating multiple divorces. It distorts the numbers, giving people the impression that theres a lot of divorce in the general population, when in fact, it's the same people messing up over and over.

Look to the successful role models, not the failed ones.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:20 PM

316 posts, read 437,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post

We've completely lost our way as a society, that's what's going on here. This is just another symptom. Pretty soon there's going to be some sort of cultural revolution in this country to balance the "other" cultural revolution about 40 years ago that eventually led us to this cesspool of plasticity, selfishness and indifference that we have now. I doubt it'll be a violent revolution. Just an inevitable shift in ideals that's long overdue. Many people probably won't even realize it's happening when it does occur. They'll just wake up one day and realize that things don't seem to suck as much.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:37 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,580,311 times
If there was a roulette table that could bang the sass out of someone gambling would be a whole lot more addicting than it already is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.