Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:21 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,980,271 times

Advertisements

I imagine this is more common than you'd think - a racist person dating someone of another race, even though in general they hold a grudge against that race but view that person as an exception. I think there's a more subtle form of it as well where someone will fetishize people of another race. This seems especially common with white men who exclusively date Asian women.

Have you ever known someone who was racist as hell but nonetheless dated someone of a different racial background then their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,038,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I imagine this is more common than you'd think - a racist person dating someone of another race, even though in general they hold a grudge against that race but view that person as an exception. I think there's a more subtle form of it as well where someone will fetishize people of another race. This seems especially common with white men who exclusively date Asian women.

Have you ever known someone who was racist as hell but nonetheless dated someone of a different racial background then their own?
I have a coworker who sends around these emails against illegal immigrants and the US should get stronger on immigration laws and Harley Davidson rocker pics with redneck flags and weird statements agianst immigrants in general. He is married to a Mexican woman and he himself is of Asian descent

I went to school with a kid who was an open racist, went to illegal nazi concerts and demonstrations and cops came to his home once to remove all the WWII collection items. I didn't see him since highschool but I recently stumbled across his facebook account and saw that he is married and took on the last name of his Spanish wife.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:41 AM

12,416 posts, read 8,209,684 times
By racist do you mean he can point out the corruption of say daily life in the Philippines ? But then date and marry a Filipino. Yes I knew many GIs and later expats and those who got spousal visas online who might come off as racist. A full Ayrian nation KKK racial separtist type, I have only seen on TV and the characters are normally breaking away from their part

Old 09-26-2014, 11:58 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,427,596 times
Of course they do. People can be walking contradictions.

You see it all the time, especially where the one person of the race is of higher class status (financially), and the other person marries up.

You'll see a lot of xenophobic remarks like, "My mom won't allow me to speak her language because people from her ethnicity are low-class."

You'll also see this pattern amongst women who appear "exotic" and the guy is a beast inside, and marries mostly for looks and because the woman appears docile, submissive, subservient and has no backbone, on top of that, she hates on her own ethnic roots. Basically, haters marry haters, and breed haters.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:59 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,525,620 times
I seen Archie Bunker marry a Black woman on that In the Heat of the Night Tv show

Last edited by Raptor76; 09-26-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 12:01 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,607,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have a coworker who sends around these emails against illegal immigrants and the US should get stronger on immigration laws and Harley Davidson rocker pics with redneck flags and weird statements agianst immigrants in general. He is married to a Mexican woman and he himself is of Asian descent

I went to school with a kid who was an open racist, went to illegal nazi concerts and demonstrations and cops came to his home once to remove all the WWII collection items. I didn't see him since highschool but I recently stumbled across his facebook account and saw that he is married and took on the last name of his Spanish wife.
The first example isn't inconsistent. One can be anti illegal immigrant but have nothing against immigrants who are here legally.

The second guy could have just grown up.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:01 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,207,476 times
Well my ex friend used to act like I was her best friend, even though she says her family is racist, and she seemed to be a bit racist as well, though she swears she isn't. Maybe not, but in any case, I don't talk to her anymore.

Otherwise, I never paid much attention. I see some interracial couples where I live, usually a black guy and white woman. Whether either is racist-who knows.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:09 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,427,596 times
I think the operative word is covert.

And, we all have our own pre-judices/pre-conceptions, but to treat people differently, to discriminate them as a race as a whole, and then turn around marry them does indeed have some element of fetishism by objectifying the other person as a 'thing' and not an actual human being. Not only is that offensive, but it's psycho Scott Peterson-type behavior in the making.

Sad to see what people do to survive, and the emotional abuse they take, whether subtle or not.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:09 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,398,078 times
Yes, my grandmother was extremely racist. She was English and racist against anyone Irish, mediterranean, black, jewish, south/central american, etc. and was very vocal about it when I was growing up. She basically only liked the English and the Germans (her husband). She practically disowned my mom for marrying an Italian. When I was 10 y.o. I asked her if she hated me because I was almost 1/2 Italian and she replied, "No, because it's really not your fault." I did not like her.

Flash-forward 30 years... My mom had genetic testing done and found out she had a significant amount of Spanish, Portuguese, and Northern African genes.... LMAO. My grandma would be rolling in her grave - either she, or her husband, had an African background.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,980,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Yes, my grandmother was extremely racist. She was English and racist against anyone Irish, mediterranean, black, jewish, south/central american, etc. and was very vocal about it when I was growing up. She basically only liked the English and the Germans (her husband). She practically disowned my mom for marrying an Italian. When I was 10 y.o. I asked her if she hated me because I was almost 1/2 Italian and she replied, "No, because it's really not your fault." I did not like her.

Flash-forward 30 years... My mom had genetic testing done and found out she had a significant amount of Spanish, Portuguese, and Northern African genes.... LMAO. My grandma would be rolling in her grave - either she, or her husband, had an African background.
Reminds me of the now classic black white supremacist skit from Chappelle's Show! Haha. Hitler also had African and Middle Eastern roots according to one study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships