Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times

Advertisements

Go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
Can you give some examples?

Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
We need more info - give us a "for instance".

Old 10-02-2014, 11:25 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,074 times
reminds me of recess or PE in grade school

Old 10-03-2014, 01:34 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Everybody running in circles but don't know why.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:36 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Ok, I'll go..

"Thanks for dinner."
"Your welcome."
"I'm stuffed."
"You are going to finish right? There are children starving in Africa you know!"
"What?!"

Old 10-03-2014, 01:56 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
It is the most difficult and frustrating thing to have to work with and it may be so deep rooted the person may never change no matter how much therapy they undertake. It comes from many different sources like genetic, how they were raised, trust issues from other events in their lives.

I don't have a romantic relationship story to explain it but I do have one that involves my brother.

My brother and I are extremely close in age and as we got older we always did stuff to one another to make the other laugh. Remembering him I always saw laughter. A few years ago his son died and he has never been the same - no body would, but I miss my brother because he has become such a different person. He bottles up and then is just mean and nasty about everything with me. I get that he lost his son, and believe me I was there with support every step of the way. I called his wife everyday for a year, couldn't understand a damn thing she said through all the tears, but she just needed a warm body on the other end of the line. I don't think there is anything more damaging and painful as a parent losing a child. I would go out to the cemetary the day before mother's and father's day and leave letters to them at their son's grave letting them know what great parents they are and were to their son and that there was nothing they did or didn't do to cause what happened.

My brother is bottled up and downright miserable and who wouldn't be, but instead of seeking any help in dealing with it he internalizes it and it seems like he wants everyone to be miserable with him. There comes a time, no matter what the tragedy you need to be civil to other people.

My relationship with him now is extremely stressful. We barely speak. I came over to pick up his wife one day to go somewhere and I barely got a hello from him. I sat there in the same room with him for 30 minutes and not a word between us. I go to his other son's high school football games and we say nothing to each other. I can't even get a laugh out of him. I feel stressed and very ill at ease around him.

I don't foresee him changing in the near future only getting worse and I now just avoid him. It's sad, I miss my brother, but you can't force people to deal with things in their life a certain way. He's far away now and too far for me to reach.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:43 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,468 times
"How do you make it work with someone that internalizes everything? "

Why? Totally futile. Your efforts soon become the problem. Circular argument augers into the ground.

You don't pull on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger....

If you get on with your happy life, they may get it. If not, you got on with your happy life. Cut ties from the pier and move on.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i will try to get people to open up. jokes, controversial remarks, etc. are all in my repertoire for getting people to open up. however, if they dont want to open up, they unfortunately wont open up, and there really isnt much you can do about it.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:55 AM

17 posts, read 23,581 times
i think... everyone communicates differently so maybe there is another way that the person feels more comfortable communicating... there is the term passive aggressive so if this is more what they are doing it can be unhealthy but, if they just sort their own problems out within their own mind and are not hurting anyone else... why be bothered?

if passive aggressive then i think time space and then a discussion usually serves this type of trait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships