Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:59 AM

13 posts, read 45,841 times

Advertisements

I need advice because I have a hard time letting go. I'm going to be honest, I have not been in many relationships and I'm not too young either, I'm 26 years old.

I was getting to know a guy. It was for a short time. But I guess I fell too hard and too fast. We were never exclusive either. He knows I'm interested in him and I thought he was too. We would joke around a lot, and some of his jokes included how he was getting to know "3" other girls. At first I thought it was a joke, but it came up again. This bothered me so I told him let's just stop getting to know each other because I felt like I couldn't trust him. He told me it was a joke and there were no other girls. But he respects my decision. He tells me how he does care for me and hopes we can still remain friends. It seemed like he didn't want to let me go, I didn't want to let him go too, but I couldn't trust him.

It's been only 2 days since that talk, and I find myself texting him again to see how he's doing. I know he checks my facebook because as soon as I would post things up, he would like them or make a comment. How do I let go of this one-sided love or crush you may call it? How do I make him realize that I'm special and he shouldn't let go of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
Well, I'm not sure why you didn't trust him if the two of you weren't exclusive. He seems a bit oafish and immature by bringing up those other women, and possibly manipulative or maybe just painfully honest, as it's very hard to tell from your account. It's not clear whether you slept with him, so that makes this all the more confusing.

In any case, now is not the time to be friends with him. You need space to get perspective, and you can't do that when you're interpreting every like as a sign of a glimmer of interest.

Men and women CAN be friends. But not if one of them is nursing an unrequited crush and still holding out hope for a relationship.

And there is no way you can "make him" realize you're special. He's either gonna think that way or he isn't. Were you hoping that by breaking up with him he would realize this? Because that seems manipulative.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:24 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,777,267 times
You believe that you are "special" he does not, if so, he would be with you, it is just that simple.

I would take a break from him, get myself together, and, perhaps later on you two can be friends...IMO, it won't wok now, you are too emotionally involved.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 AM

117 posts, read 142,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny85 View Post
I need advice because I have a hard time letting go. I'm going to be honest, I have not been in many relationships and I'm not too young either, I'm 26 years old.

I was getting to know a guy. It was for a short time. But I guess I fell too hard and too fast. We were never exclusive either. He knows I'm interested in him and I thought he was too. We would joke around a lot, and some of his jokes included how he was getting to know "3" other girls. At first I thought it was a joke, but it came up again. This bothered me so I told him let's just stop getting to know each other because I felt like I couldn't trust him. He told me it was a joke and there were no other girls. But he respects my decision. He tells me how he does care for me and hopes we can still remain friends. It seemed like he didn't want to let me go, I didn't want to let him go too, but I couldn't trust him.

It's been only 2 days since that talk, and I find myself texting him again to see how he's doing. I know he checks my facebook because as soon as I would post things up, he would like them or make a comment. How do I let go of this one-sided love or crush you may call it? How do I make him realize that I'm special and he shouldn't let go of me?
You can´t do that.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:28 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,015,250 times
If you let a person go physically with saying let's just stop getting to know each other , then you should let him go from your mind too. If you have done the break with thinking that he will be so crying and coming behind no not every guy do that, most of them will go forward. After a break why you want to make him realize you are special is there any point? because you are over with him,.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,730,029 times
Not every guy you like is going to think you're "special."

That's a pretty naive way to think.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 AM

11,809 posts, read 12,047,935 times
You don't decide that you're special, the person who is interested in you does. You can't convince someone to like you, so move on from this guy and his immature ways and find someone who will show you that he's interested in ways that you won't ever have to wonder if he is interested.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,445,930 times
First off, 26 IS young. If I were you I'd stop texting if you are not getting any response. Liking a Facebook post is not the same as having a conversation on the phone. I really don't think you should do anything else at this point. If he doesn't call or text you I'd say he's just not interested. Sorry.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:11 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,808,617 times
I've subjected myself to one-sided love (AKA Unrequited love). It's the pits. Why we do it to ourselves, I don't know. But with me, I can't help it.

The only way I've been able to deal with it is by drastic measures: Cutting the person out of your life. It's not easy (and I've cheated too with that). Don't text anymore, don't call, and don't Facebook. If you are afraid unfriending will hurt his feelings or you hope to salvage a friendship later, just stop following him on FB and go into security and put him on restricted so he can't see your posts (and like or comment on them... that way you don't get those reminders he's out there). Then find something to fill the time... exercise, a hobby, whatever. In time, memory and feelings will fade. But it can take a while.

Good luck.

Last edited by jillabean; 10-08-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 10-08-2014, 10:44 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,419,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny85 View Post

Don't even bother.

One-sided relationships, unrequited romances are easy to let go. Show me you are disloyal, show me disrespect? Easy solution: delete.

End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships