Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

Love yourself enough to not settle for someone who is just not that into you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:56 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
You can't convince someone that you are special to him. No amount of convincing is going to cut it. It's something that is out of your control. Only he can determine that on his own.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Um, he didn't let go of you. You let go of him. Apparently because you felt you couldn't trust him, although the reason for that is absent from your post.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny85 View Post
I need advice because I have a hard time letting go. I'm going to be honest, I have not been in many relationships and I'm not too young either, I'm 26 years old.

I was getting to know a guy. It was for a short time. But I guess I fell too hard and too fast. We were never exclusive either. He knows I'm interested in him and I thought he was too. We would joke around a lot, and some of his jokes included how he was getting to know "3" other girls. At first I thought it was a joke, but it came up again. This bothered me so I told him let's just stop getting to know each other because I felt like I couldn't trust him. He told me it was a joke and there were no other girls. But he respects my decision. He tells me how he does care for me and hopes we can still remain friends. It seemed like he didn't want to let me go, I didn't want to let him go too, but I couldn't trust him.

It's been only 2 days since that talk, and I find myself texting him again to see how he's doing. I know he checks my facebook because as soon as I would post things up, he would like them or make a comment. How do I let go of this one-sided love or crush you may call it? How do I make him realize that I'm special and he shouldn't let go of me?
1. You can't "make" him realize you're special. YOU have to recognize and believe that you are special, deserving of the best, and then make choices in a mate that reflect those values. That may disqualify your guy (friend?) (with benefits?) (now platonic again?) Oy vey! So confusing.

2. Anyway, all I am saying is that you are going to have to distance yourself from him if your values are that you don't want to share him with other women and he wants to share himself with other women. Distancing yourself (forget "let's be friends" that's quicksand for you!) is the only way to protect yourself from doing insane stuff like pathetically hanging on, letting yourself ache and hurt for a man who doesn't want you (the way you want him) and even possibly doing something even crazier and stupider like saying, "Okay. You, me and three more girls. Let's go!"

3. I take it you guys have been intimate already and someone is getting possible commitment-based "cold feet"?

Old 10-08-2014, 11:53 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Facebook, texting....la la da da!

Games people play in the middle of the night.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:58 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Facebook, texting....la la da da!

Games people play in the middle of the night.
That texting is pure bull****...just a way for a person to play "Relationship Phantom" And you always have to put these smiley faces so the shortness of your replies don't seem rude or abrupt. I hate it.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny85 View Post
I need advice because I have a hard time letting go. I'm going to be honest, I have not been in many relationships and I'm not too young either, I'm 26 years old.

I was getting to know a guy. It was for a short time. But I guess I fell too hard and too fast. We were never exclusive either. He knows I'm interested in him and I thought he was too. We would joke around a lot, and some of his jokes included how he was getting to know "3" other girls. At first I thought it was a joke, but it came up again. This bothered me so I told him let's just stop getting to know each other because I felt like I couldn't trust him. He told me it was a joke and there were no other girls. But he respects my decision. He tells me how he does care for me and hopes we can still remain friends. It seemed like he didn't want to let me go, I didn't want to let him go too, but I couldn't trust him.

It's been only 2 days since that talk, and I find myself texting him again to see how he's doing. I know he checks my facebook because as soon as I would post things up, he would like them or make a comment. How do I let go of this one-sided love or crush you may call it? How do I make him realize that I'm special and he shouldn't let go of me?
You need to take a step back from serious dating, perhaps dating at all.

My sister, and myself really, are the types of people who do not like to be alone. That doesn't necessarily mean we are in a relationship with someone, it may mean that we need a FWB, or just dating with someone who we are physical with, but its not serious.

Other people are not like us, they are ok without that physical connection, I'm not sure what type of person you are.

But you should certainly step back from emotional attachment, and fall in love with yourself. Become a little narcissistic. You are the most important person in your universe, and everyone else comes second. If that means that you take a trip alone, just to be by yourself in the woods, or a trip to a place you've always wanted to go with your best friend, or if it just means that you're going to get busy on a project around the house that you've always wanted, absorb yourself into something that you want to do, something that makes you feel like you.

After you've fallen back in love with yourself, then you will have moved on from this guy.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:47 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,611 times
Were you actually dating or did this relationship take place on your phones?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:35 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,601,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Um, he didn't let go of you. You let go of him. Apparently because you felt you couldn't trust him, although the reason for that is absent from your post.
Yeah, that part I can't figure out.

He might well have been kidding about the other girls, just to try to be funny, and figured she was too dramatic if she couldn't joke around.

Or - he is dating other girls (which he can, since they weren't exclusive) and either he wasn't that into her anyway, or, figured she was too clingy or insecure for him to keep seeing so he crossed her off his list.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,601,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Were you actually dating or did this relationship take place on your phones?
Good question. You never know these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships