Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:38 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times

Advertisements

In the past, when I have seen much, much older women with younger men (thinking mostly celebrities here, since I don't really know anyone that fits this description in person). Examples being Susan Sarandon, Cher, Sharon Stone, and even obvious gold-digging situations like Elizabeth Taylor. I wonder, really, how younger men feel about older women. We are so youth-centric in our culture that it is very difficult to believe or imagine that a 30-something man would be attracted to or happy with a woman who is 20 or 30 years older.

On the other hand, however, I wonder if WHO THE PERSON IS, can somehow transcend age. If two people who really enjoy each other's company and genuinely care for each other can look beyond the wrinkles and the years and have a successful relationship. After all, we love the PERSON and god knows there are lots and lots of marriages between 20 somethings or 30 somethings that end in misery and divorce.

Guys, if you found someone who was much-much older attractive and got along well, would you consider a relationship?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 09:46 AM

39,310 posts, read 27,684,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Guys, if you found someone who was much-much older attractive and got along well, would you consider a relationship?

20yrsinBranson
You say "attractive and got along well"

I see no problem.

My guy friend is 35, his wife is 47 but look 30. They have been together for 5 years and the relationship is still going strong. No kids, no problem.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,112,458 times
I dated a women 10/11 years older than me for about 7 years. It was a great relationship, I enjoyed it, she enjoyed it. I was basically probably 21 to 27 or 28 during the time we dated. Yes there were some challenges in terms of having common friends my friends maybe felt a little wierd hanging out with her and her friends with me so that was a challenge but its really only outside factors like friends or family that make it wierd, how things are between two people behind closed doors neither of us really cares less about the age difference.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,746,529 times
You're 20; your partner is 30. The ratio, old/young =1.5 times your age.

You're 60; your partner is 70. Still just 10 years difference. Same ratio=1.2 times your age.

Now switch the ratios, applying the 1.2 (oldies) ratio to you at 20 = Now your partner is just 23.

Switch the ratio, applying the 1.5 (youth) ratio to you at 60 = Now your partner is 90.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:56 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,018,770 times
I am not a woman who is falling in love with younger men. I cannot get the feeling away from my head that he is like a brother or a son to me. But once I kept talking to a guy he was at that time 55 and I was 33. We had the talk quiet well. So I think my thing is older men.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,214,261 times
If she was 60 and looked 40, no problem. Of course, not many such women exist.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times
These posts have been quite interesting. I have never really considered less than 10 years to be much of an age difference. I have been older than almost all of the men I have dated (and married) in the past. My current husband is 4 years younger.

I guess there aren't many who have had a very dramatic age difference (20+years). This makes me think that anything like that is totally out of the ordinary and *weird*. Too bad. Not all older women are ready for the bone yard because they are in their fourth or fifth decade, as generally perceived.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-13-2014, 07:13 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,214,164 times
The last girl I dated was six years older than me.

Another woman, a former co-worker in her early 40s, wanted to get with me, but I wasn't into the fact that she had a child and a lot of drama with the baby daddy.

If an older woman has it together, I'd probably find her attractive enough to be with long term. In a lot of instances, she'll know more about herself, what she wants, she'll be in a more stable situation typically. What isn't attractive about that? Put it this way, it'd be a whole lot easier than dealing with the BS of 20-something girls who have the mentality that the world is their oyster.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 PM

814 posts, read 761,730 times
Not a serious relationship, but I've been with 2 older women. No complaints

Old 10-13-2014, 08:10 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,219,097 times
My boyfriend and I have been together since 2003. He's 33 and I will be 56 in November. Last year, we purchased a house together. We share many common interests and we are both intellectually inclined. His friends and his family completely accept me. His mom knows my age and all my friends know the situation, but we've decided not to discuss our age gap with his friends. It's not any of their business and we don't want to be closely scrutinized by them as some curious oddity.

Before we were a couple, we were close/best/platonic friends first and even took a month long road trip across country to visit mutual friends before becoming romantic. Neither of us wanted babies in our lives, so my lack of fertility is actually a relief to him.

Yes, of course he finds me physically attractive, but we make each other laugh and he is also madly in love with my brain and the way I think. He also loves that I'm a lifelong tom-boy. No makeup. No high heels. I love to drive stick shift. I am also not glued to my cellphone. Women of his generation and after just don't appeal to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships