Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
It's a frozen ^#&@-hole. There's money to be made, but you won't have a life and you'll only see dudes. The only action there is lonely/bored wives that travel with their husbands or the war-pigs that are trying to trap one with money.

… Or so my Cousin says who has worked there and in the Oil Patches near Yellowknife.

That said, It's well worth doing for 4-5 years, just don't get addicted to the checks.

ND is cold and miserable.
This a Canadian talking. Haha.
LOL for sure. It's possible to make decent money almost anywhere once you find a good opportunity. I don't make as much as some of those high paid guys up in ND do, but hey I get to wear shorts, t shirts, and sandals in January here.

Somehow I don't think the dating scene there can be that great either when it's like a 10:1 male/female ratio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
LOL for sure. It's possible to make decent money almost anywhere once you find a good opportunity. I don't make as much as some of those high paid guys up in ND do, but hey I get to wear shorts, t shirts, and sandals in January here.

Somehow I don't think the dating scene there can be that great either when it's like a 10:1 male/female ratio.
Nobody goes there to date. They go there for the money. But the astronomical rents, and skyrocketing costs for everything eat up some of the extra money you make. And the hours you have to endure to make the big money are killer. Any huge boom is gonna be like that. Like the Alaska Pipeline project. Insane conditions for living and working, but if you can put up with it, you can come away from it with a nice chunk of change. Buy yourself a house somewhere, get a normal job, and jump-start your retirement savings with what's left over.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
It's only easy when you are in highschool but I didn't take advantage of it at that time of my life because I was too shy
This is my first time posting so bare with me. I was too shy to date in high school also. The dating scene in the area that I live is pretty much nonexistent. Only place to meet is at church and that's not really a bad thing.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
are you talking about 1 night stands or prolonged relationships that are going somewhere?
"dating" is an illusive term.
for the guy being unemployed and broke is a huge minus, always has been always will be.
worse than that some cultures feel that the man should not be employed and the woman should support him. this does not put you out front in the running.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:26 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
are you talking about 1 night stands or prolonged relationships that are going somewhere?
for the guy being unemployed and broke is a huge minus, always has been always will be.
worse than that some cultures feel that the man should not be employed and the woman should support him. this does not put you out front in the running.
Where is this place, I want to live there? Is it NYC?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Never before has it been easier to contact women. Aside from meeting them in real life through friends or at events or in stores, there's OLD. There's a plethora of social media--what a bonanza! Online forums and gamer sites. Meetups. And the usual hobby groups, sports leagues, clubs, volunteer activities, etc. etc. If you can't meet women, you're not trying.
In some ways though, OLD actually makes things more difficult for the average man. It has made women far more picky and even women that you meet IRL have the option of jumping online and easily meeting that tall, handsome guy that most men are not.

Personally, I have no trouble meeting women, but that is because I work in a female-dominated career field and have money. I'm also very resourceful (and place myself in VERY good situations that most men don't even know exist).

If I was just the average guy relying on OLD, I would have no dates (or extremely low quality ones).

Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
In some ways though, OLD actually makes things more difficult for the average man. It has made women far more picky and even women that you meet IRL have the option of jumping online and easily meeting that tall, handsome guy that most men are not.

Personally, I have no trouble meeting women, but that is because I work in a female-dominated career field and have money. I'm also very resourceful (and place myself in VERY good situations that most men don't even know exist).

If I was just the average guy relying on OLD, I would have no dates (or extremely low quality ones).
OLD has made everyone more picky. It's very looks-based, so it's not for everyone. I wasn't recommending it as a panacea, I was just giving examples of all the different ways there are of meeting people, some of which are new resources that didn't exist in the past.

You're definitely doing the right thing--placing yourself where the women are. You've figured out where that is, and you put yourself out there. That's one of the best ways to get results.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:36 AM

128 posts, read 203,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Both.

Lifestyle options are better these days. That doesn't mean your present location fits you best for what you're looking for.

If you're unemployed, broke, and looking for a prolonged relationship, you can easily find work teaching English in a more traditional country.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:24 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,777 times
Most men and woman have low standards so it is easy to find a date.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:09 AM

251 posts, read 299,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
stop jerking off so much
Never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
5. Lifestyle

one so easily make a good or great income, while having such a lower cost of living?
Tell that to the disabled (who can't work), college grads who can't find a job, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships