Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Having grown up around very effeminate and weak-willed men, I feel like I have a skewed sense of what men's needs are. One of the themes that keeps popping up in my dating life is men's desire to feel in control. They want to have control - need to have control - and this is a new concept for me...considering I've been dating pretty weak-willed men .

So my question is, do guys need that? To feel like they are calling the shots, either in dating or in relationships in general? Is it a big blow to a guy's ego if the woman is too assertive and doesn't let him dominate? Does he get resentful if a woman is stronger willed than he is?
I think this applies to both genders: people who feel the need to feel in control are not only insecure, they're probably in the wrong relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM

630 posts, read 1,049,085 times
uh yes...why do you think they all date or secretly wanna date underage spinner types?

Old 10-28-2014, 11:38 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I think this applies to both genders: people who feel the need to feel in control are not only insecure, they're probably in the wrong relationships.
Well in most relationships, there is a more dominant one and a less dominant one. Sometimes the man is dominant abd sometimes the woman is. Gay/bisexual men call it "top" and "bottom", whereas lesbians/bisexual women call it "pants" and "pumps". Lol.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Someone who normally wants to be in control is also sometimes referred to as an alpha male or alpha female.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:54 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
uh yes...why do you think they all date or secretly wanna date underage spinner types?
Dolphins?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-28-2014, 01:08 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
Why do people get letting a guy lead confused a guy wanting control ? When there two different things.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:00 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Why do people get letting a guy lead confused a guy wanting control ? When there two different things.
A guy leading: "Thought I'd call and see what you're up to this weekend and if you wanted to grab a bite."

A guy needing to be in control: Signs of a Controlling Guy | Psych Central

Old 10-28-2014, 02:01 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
weak, strong, control, blah blah blah. it's all subjective. call it what you like so that it suits your perspective or expectations, but best to "know thy self" rather than skew one's own reality for the sake of making the world more congruent to one's shortcomings. borderline personality disorder often results from delusional beliefs, then no surprise these types end up in dysfunctional relationships... again, and again.
Quote:
Who's talking about borderline personality disorder?
I mentioned personality disorders in my post.

You're being awfully defensive, there, Doc. You're also dismissing the reality that some people - especially those who are extremely controlling - CAN have personality disorders. I mean, that's the whole point of this thread, I believe. We're not talking about people who have a harmless inclination to oversee, manage, or "take charge." Heck, no. We're talking about people who routinely railroad, dismiss, devalue, undermine, and negate anything anyone else says or believes. Ultimately, it's a form of abuse. The form of control we're talking about on this thread -or at least that I'm talking about and experienced for 22 years - is all-consuming. It's NOT normal. That's why I use the term "disorder."

Extremely controlling people can be women just as easily as they can be men. I've known LOTS of women who I would describe as being unusually or abnormally controlling. I don't imagine living with them is any more bearable than living with a controlling man. I'm sure NVplumber can attest to that.

The fact that I stayed in my marriage as long as I did (faithfully) says a GREAT DEAL about the strength of my character and moral compass. I know very well who I am. But I'll also mention the other victims of extremely controlling people: their kids. They suffer, as well. But I guess if those kids complain about their controlling parent, then they're all simply skewing their reality to their own shortcomings. They're "delusional," I suppose?

I think most women like a man to "take charge," btw. I certainly do. But there is a HUGE difference between "letting a man be a man" and feeling depleted by a man who's unbearably controlling. Attempting to draw any parallel between the two is absurd.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 10-28-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post

Bravo, krieger!!

I'd give you 100 reps if I could.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
The great irony is that the weakest men I've known had the greatest need for control.

Be careful that you don't confuse a willingness to compromise, as all relationships sometimes require both parties to do, with being weak-willed.
Quote:
I agree with that, very weak men have a desperate need for control.

I do not equate compromising with weakness. I appreciate and value compromising in a relationship.
I'll qualify a little: men who PERCEIVE themselves as weak or lacking control in some area of their lives have a desperate, insatiable need for control in other areas of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships