Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:19 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,947 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but how do you break-up with a good guy?

I've been seeing this guy for the past two-and-a-half months. His name is Tom. He treats me well, and he goes out of the way to make me happy. He's done nothing wrong; I just don't see myself being with him long-term.

The truth of the matter is I need to be with someone who is more of an intellectual (though, I would never, ever tell him that). I can't go on spending every evening at his house as he smokes weed and watches South Park.

The tactic I've used in the past was waiting for things to fizzle out, but as I lose interest in him, he gains interest in me. Last night he told me that he loves me (this was a week after he asked me to move in, which I rejected). My replay, "ugh, well...I...I like you a lot, and I don't want to see anything bad happen to you, and I care for you, and I guess I love you too." I was dying on the inside.

So, how do I break things up without breaking his heart and keeping a friendship in tact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
You can't be sure you won't break his heart. There is nothing you can do about that. That is his issue to deal with. You may or may not become friends, again, that's a two way street and you can't control it entirely.

All you can do is say "Tom, I think you're a great guy, but this isn't working for me and we need to not date any longer". It will hurt him. There may be "What is working for you? Maybe we can fix it" stuff to deal with, don't bend to that. Don't get in the weeds.

It just needs to get done. Sooner the better. It will just hurt more for him and be harder for you later.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:30 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
He's done nothing wrong; I just don't see myself being with him long-term.
You tell him this. ^^

If he starts asking questions, just keep repeating that it's not working for you, and then leave.

Letting things fizzle out is only avoidance. Be honest and direct.

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Tell him the truth.

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Directly and honestly.

1,772 posts, read 3,520,947 times
P.S.: I'm willing to take as much time as necessary to do this.

Should I start dropping hints that I'm losing interest so the "conversation" doesn't feel like it's dropping out of the blue?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:31 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
P.S.: Willing to take as much time as necessary to do this.

Should I start dropping hints that I'm losing interest so the "conversation" doesn't feel like it's dropping out of the blue?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Break-ups don't need to take a long time. Would you want your boss to take several weeks to fire you???

He may be a stoner, but I doubt he's stupid. Bad news does not get better over time.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

I think this just increases the pain and anxiety.

This is one of those if you know it needs to be done, best to just do it, and let the healing begin.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:33 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Quote:

No.
Don't wait it out or attempt to temper it.

Just do it.

You're attempting to make it easier for yourself in doing this, not them.

Call them and say you have something to discuss about the realtionship and meet with them so you can both move on with your lives.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:

Hell no!

Be blunt. Be honest. Don't insult his intelligence. Don't drag it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships