Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:22 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,741,869 times

Advertisements

Yes, yes and yes. I know this question has already been asked a zillion times in different ways.

Everyone just says "You just know". What does "You just know mean"? What kind of a feeling is this?

Does this instant feeling have to be "instantly" reciprocated by the other party?

* The One = The person you want to marry/spend the rest of your life with

Many Thanks,

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 11-11-2014 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 12:47 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
"The One" as in the one I will marry right? I guess that really is the only "The One" the one can be since boyfriends/girlfriends should never be considered "The One".

With my wife, I didnt really think of her as being "The One" until after I had a chance to really get to know her which only comes with time. Sure she had all the physical, mental, spiritual, and artistic traits that I was looking for, but it still really only takes time to determine if a person is the one you want to marry (i.e., spend the rest of your life with). It took about 2.5 - 3 years of dating before I came to that conclusion. Then I asked her to marry me. It was about 4 years after we met when we got married.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:51 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
Short lived infatuation, IMO. The first time your SO pisses you off bad, you'd be questioning that feeling, Lol.

No such thing in my book as the 'one'.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:59 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
I knew when I actually wanted to spend time with her for reasons that where not just my own.

it's really that simple.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Yes, yes and yes. I know this question has already been asked a zillion times in different ways.

Everyone just says "You just know". What does "You just know mean"? What kind of a feeling is this?

Does this instant feeling have to be "instantly" reciprocated by the other party?

* The One = The person you want to marry/spend the rest of your life with

Many Thanks,
Are you asking if you just know, instantly upon first meeting, or after a certain point in time?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:25 PM

837 posts, read 961,522 times
I think the realization hits some people after enduring a personal or family crisis where you and your significant other come out stronger than you went in. If someone sticks by you through tough times, they're showing you they're in it for the long haul.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:30 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Y

You'll know it when you feel it!
I know I did, a few months into our relationship - and we are married for 34 years now.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
1) The One experience you feel when you've only known a person for a short amount of time

This happened to me several times and by experience, isn't based on anything rational. None of these people became the One.

2) The One experience you feel after being with a person for a long time even though you started off rather lukewarm

This is my current situation. It's been rewarding but still requires work to maintain the One state

3) The One experience you feel from first sight and continues on into the long term

You hear people have this magical experience here and there but none of the couples I know have experienced this.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,774,134 times
And here it goes... I just did! But to break it down more conceptually...

1. Fit my exact description of what I am attracted to. I could of married him based off of just that... kidding.. kind of.
2. Had a witty personality, appeared to be interested and had same foundational beliefs-->now if they have this AND your attracted... that's enough to "just know".
3. He followed up and asked to take me to dinner (on Valentines day).
4. Offered his coat, made good conversation, treated me like a lady and dropped me off without trying anything.
5. Continued calling, asking on dates etc until after we went out about 4 or 5 times or over the course of 2 months.
6. Dated for 1.5 years and he asked me to marry him.
7. We've been married for 3 years and I still know there is absolutely NO ONE else who would be better suited for me. He tells me what I need.

All the little kinks can be worked out but if you're not attracted to their looks or personality and on the same page for beliefs... it's not going to work. Best of luck!

Old 11-11-2014, 02:52 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
I knew it the first day we met. There was something in his eyes and they way he looked at me. I know it sounds crazy but that day I smiled to myself and thought that one day I was going to love him and we would be married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships