Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,741,643 times

Advertisements

I recently met a guy who looks great on paper (good looking, smart, kind, classy, well-mannered, ambitious, financially stable and successful). He seems like a perfect match on many levels as we're "equals" when it comes to career and success.

I technically should date the guy because he ticks 85% of my criteria. The problem is that I am still hung up on some guy who rejected me months and months ago when he didn't get the milk from the cow. This former fling has no career prospects and his educational achivements are limited to high school. I can't seem to be able to move on from him though. I already rejected plenty of great guys because I was still into him but this time around I'm not sure what to do.

Sure, the fact that I am on the verge of giving this new man a chance is a proof I'm moving forward but I remain very confused.

This new guy seems like a great catch yet I'm still hoping for the former fling to come back. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go out with this new guy if I'm not 100% available emotionally. I don't want to string him along.

Additional "cons"

One little thing that bothers me is his name, but I can get past this.

Another "issue" is that he comes from a background which expects the practice of a certain religion. Although he regards himself as "liberal", I'm quite scared I'd end up being trapped in some kind of cultural drama. I'm usually wary of very religious guys. I don't want to be controlled, not to mention he's almost 30 and I'm 24.

How should I handle this?

Thanks,

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 11-11-2014 at 04:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:26 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,634 times
decently reject him. Tell him you are not ready yet.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:53 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,984 times
Keep dating him, but tell him to give you "some time", if he's into you he will understand, and probably is for the best.

However remember that he may have some other options as well, and guys aren't known for their "great" patience.

Usually when you meet someone who is genuinely interested in you, and you are emotionally unavailable you need to put your own things together: does this guy gonna wait "forever"? Is it fair to make him "wait"?

Most likely the answer to these questions are NO. So better be careful to become available soon enough, if you REALLY want to pursue a relationship with him.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I recently met a guy who looks great on paper (good looking, smart, kind, classy, well-mannered, ambitious, financially stable and successful). He seems like a perfect match on many levels as we're "equals" when it comes to career and success.

I technically should date the guy because he ticks 85% of my criteria. The problem is that I am still hung up on some guy who rejected me months and months ago when he didn't get the milk from the cow. This former fling has no career prospects and his educational achivements are limited to high school. I can't seem to be able to move on from him though. I already rejected plenty of great guys because I was still into him but this time around I'm not sure what to do.

Sure, the fact that I am on the verge of giving this new man a chance is a proof I'm moving forward but I remain very confused.

This new guy seems like a great catch yet I'm still hoping for the former fling to come back. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go out with this new guy if I'm not 100% available emotionally. I don't want to string him along.

Additional "cons"

Another "issue" is that he comes from a background which expects the practice of a certain religion. Although he regards himself as "liberal", I'm quite scared I'd end up being trapped in some kind of cultural drama. I'm usually wary of very religious guys. I don't want to be controlled, not to mention he's almost 30 and I'm 24.

Thanks,
Just don't. You're already talking yourself out of it. That's not going to get any better.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:57 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Forget about the less ambitious bad boy, and date the good guy that meets 85% of your criteria

Old 11-11-2014, 06:45 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,928 times
It looks like you are in the store. What guides you - feelings or your brain?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:54 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,741,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
It looks like you are in the store. What guides you - feelings or your brain?
I usually go with my feelings.

Thing is, if I start dating someone else, this will magnify the fact that this former fling is not a part of my life and we didn't work out. It's as though I'd rather live in the fantasy of him coming back rather than to face the truth - If he truly wanted to be with me, he would have made a move already!

I'm basically holding on to a fantasy.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
You're not into this new guy if you're already listing cons. What exactly is "85% of your criteria"? I have never looked at a potential partner this way and broken my interest down to a percentage. You either like him, or you don't, IMO.

What appeals to you about a guy with no prospects that you didn't sleep with, but can't move on from? What is holding you back and why do you think the former guy is worth wasting more time and missing more opportunties?

I don't think you should date until you figure out why you're allowing a guy you briefly dated to have such a hold over you still.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:03 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:

Additional "cons"

Thanks,
Don't waste new guy's time. Let him go.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:05 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,928 times
Quote:
I usually go with my feelings.

Thing is, if I start dating someone else, this will magnify the fact that this former fling is not a part of my life and we didn't work out. It's as though I'd rather live in the fantasy of him coming back rather than to face the truth - If he truly wanted to be with me, he would have made a move already!

I'm basically holding on to a fantasy.
So what holds you to make right decision?
You can lose both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships