Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,074 times

Advertisements

it's just symantics. is there really a difference between "hiding something" and being private? it's still information you don't readily want to disclose to others for some reason or another, and it creates a little mystery too.

i too am a private person and have learned to appreciate the benefits of selectively sharing information. like fb, i don't have an account. am i hiding something? no, here's my IG or google my name, read my bio online and articles i've written, etc... but not everyone comes clean right? like talking about your past relationships, trauma or brushes with the law.

let's be frank, all adults hide something. it just that somethings are easier to hide than others, and you can't hide your physical appearance if you are interested in dating and having a relationship with others. that is just stupid and you are fooling no one else but yourself.

commit to self improvement, be your best self and give it your best shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 08:59 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
it's just symantics. is there really a difference between "hiding something" and being private? it's still information you don't readily want to disclose to others for some reason or another, and it creates a little mystery too.

i too am a private person and have learned to appreciate the benefits of selectively sharing information. like fb, i don't have an account. am i hiding something? no, here's my IG or google my name, read my bio online and articles i've written, etc...
I don't have Instagram or Twitter. I do have a FB profile, but my page is set to private.

I'm pretty transparent, though. I have written hundreds of articles and I have Googled myself and I'm around. The way I see it, there's no need to "hide," but who the heck has time to constantly be tweeting and all that? I tried Twitter briefly...read lots of "ZOMG you wouldn't believe what my cat just coughed up" tweets...yeah, not stuff I need to know, LOL! (Not saying there's anything wrong with it...but by the same token, I don't see that it's "hiding" something if one isn't into that.)

Old 11-27-2014, 09:16 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times
Being private is not the same as hiding.

Private means some information is selectively shared based on trust. We all have our reasons for keeping certain aspects of our lives private, and those are for us.

Selectively sharing information is not a form of "kidding" one's self into believing the world won't conform to how we want. I'm not actively dating right now, but I accept that if a prospective love interest puts a higher priority on knowing what my body looks like than knowing me as a person, that individual is not for me. I'm comfortable with this decision, and the end result could lead to the prospect could have the whole package deal if our worlds come together. Or, the end result could lead me to being single indefinitely. I get this and accept it, and fortunately for me, love myself and my life enough that I'm ok with it.

We all have our priorities in the dating world. Mine is to be appreciated for who I am as a person rather than be judged over physical attributes. I'm not overweight or obese, so that isn't where my argument is coming from.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreen View Post
Dating online scares me. I have had bad luck with people that I actually know that have turned into creeps. I can't imagine meeting strangers. :/
That's how I feel too, except that I have done it with no good results.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:22 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post
Being private is not the same as hiding.

Private means some information is selectively shared based on trust. We all have our reasons for keeping certain aspects of our lives private, and those are for us.

Selectively sharing information is not a form of "kidding" one's self into believing the world won't conform to how we want. I'm not actively dating right now, but I accept that if a prospective love interest puts a higher priority on knowing what my body looks like than knowing me as a person, that individual is not for me. I'm comfortable with this decision, and the end result could lead to the prospect could have the whole package deal if our worlds come together. Or, the end result could lead me to being single indefinitely. I get this and accept it, and fortunately for me, love myself and my life enough that I'm ok with it.

We all have our priorities in the dating world. Mine is to be appreciated for who I am as a person rather than be judged over physical attributes. I'm not overweight or obese, so that isn't where my argument is coming from.
thank you for that thoughtful clarification. i appreciate a woman of depth too.

time to roll my azz out of bed, have a happy turkey day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships