Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women if you had to choose between these 2 scenarios
Stay with the man who I am totally into but without marriage 15 83.33%
Be with the man who I'm not as into but wants to marry me 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:25 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
No.
Is she not happy because he never married her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 01:25 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
I prefer non!

Old 12-04-2014, 01:28 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Is she not happy because he never married her?
Yes, it's been a source of resentment on her part for many years. Not to say that they'd be deliriously happy even if they were married, but this doesn't help.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:28 PM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
You're with a guy with whom you really connect and are completely happy with but he doesn't care to get married. He wants to spend the rest of his life with you but just doesn't believe in the legal process of marriage.

Or

A man with whom you're not as happy and connected with but professes his love and want to marry and spend the rest of his life with you. You love him but aren't as in love with him as you are the man whom doesn't care to marry.

Please stick to the 2 options and don't use hypotheticals. Its either option 1 or 2.
I care nothing about getting married.

I guess for some women it is a religious or moral thing. No living together or reproducing without the benefit of marriage.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:58 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
If a person is willing to commit to someone for life then what is the problem with marriage? That's a line of thinking I don't understand.
Because I'm just going along in life, minding my own business. If I love someone and want to be with him, am committed to him, treat him as if married, why do I need to have someone else sign off on it (church, government)? I love this person. That came first. So why do I have to go further, to the next step, and marry him if I don't have the inclination? There's no impetus pushing me to marry. I don't feel the need. That's a concept that someone else came up with.

I ask your question in reverse: If a person is willing to commit to someone for life, then what is the necessity of getting married? And, this is not intended to disrespect anyone who takes their wedding vows seriously, but I don't see marriage as a permanent commitment, either, because there's always divorce. Again, I completely respect people who put value on and honor their marriage. I'm not putting marriage down. I'm just saying it's not guaranteed to be permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I care nothing about getting married.

I guess for some women it is a religious or moral thing. No living together or reproducing without the benefit of marriage.
That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm not religious. I don't have the need for the tradition. I don't find it morally wrong to have sex, live together, or even have children, without marriage. (The children part of it is more complicated, obviously, you're bringing them into it; I'm just saying I don't find it morally offensive.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
My dad is anti-marriage, but has been in a relationship with my mom for over 30 years. It's not what I want for myself at all.
I have a male relative who went through a really bad divorce; I don't know the details. When he fell in love with his current partner, he told her, emphatically, upfront that he would never, ever marry again. She accepted this and they were happy for decades together. When they were in their 70s, he decided he wanted to get married, lol. And they did. Your post just reminded me of them.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
1. I am in a long-term relationship in which neither of us want legal marriage unless it becomes necessary for practical purposes relating to immigration. We share our lives, a home we co-own, a dog and a lot of years together. It works for us.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:04 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Because I'm just going along in life, minding my own business. If I love someone and want to be with him, am committed to him, treat him as if married, why do I need to have someone else sign off on it (church, government)? I love this person. That came first. So why do I have to go further, to the next step, and marry him if I don't have the inclination? There's no impetus pushing me to marry. I don't feel the need. That's a concept that someone else came up with.

I ask your question in reverse: If a person is willing to commit to someone for life, then what is the necessity of getting married? And, this is not intended to disrespect anyone who takes their wedding vows seriously, but I don't see marriage as a permanent commitment, either, because there's always divorce. Again, I completely respect people who put value on and honor their marriage. I'm not putting marriage down. I'm just saying it's not guaranteed to be permanent.
Well, I can only speak for me, but marriage was important to me for the legal implications. I want my husband to make medical decisions for me if I'm not able to, for example. I want him to get whatever resources I might have if I die. Yes, that can all be legally written up in other documents, but getting married is actually a lot easier.

The other thing is that I wouldn't want to have kids with someone unless we were married. It's harder to walk away from a marriage than it is to walk away from a boyfriend/girlfriend. I want that extra layer of protection that forces us to work on our relationship instead of easily walking away.

I personally married for life. I don't consider divorce an option for me and I'm confident I can work out whatever issues arise. My husband feels the same.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I understand the "marriage is just a piece of paper" argument (and I voted for #1) but at the same time I can see how, if you're going to the trouble to make sure the legal arrangements are in order for a long-term non-marriage relationship (wills, insurance, power of attorney, etc.) that a marriage license isn't all that much more effort. Six of one...

Old 12-04-2014, 02:23 PM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Well, I can only speak for me, but marriage was important to me for the legal implications. I want my husband to make medical decisions for me if I'm not able to, for example. I want him to get whatever resources I might have if I die. Yes, that can all be legally written up in other documents, but getting married is actually a lot easier.

The other thing is that I wouldn't want to have kids with someone unless we were married. It's harder to walk away from a marriage than it is to walk away from a boyfriend/girlfriend. I want that extra layer of protection that forces us to work on our relationship instead of easily walking away.

I personally married for life. I don't consider divorce an option for me and I'm confident I can work out whatever issues arise. My husband feels the same.
Not really if you are in a committed relationship and have a mortgage, kids, etc. together.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:34 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:

My childhood sweetheart proposed to me, and for a moment I thought it sounded nice, even fun (I know, stupid, but I was young), but the more I thought about it, something inside of me just didn't like the idea of it. Later on in our relationship, he would start to try to control me, emotionally and physically, and at times violently. I felt completely frustrated and trapped in those moments.

So, I can see the point that it would be harder to walk away from a marriage than a boyfriend/girlfriend, but it's actually the opposite for me. My not being married is less of a reason for me to leave, and more of a reason to stay, because I want to and don't feel "trapped" to do so. (I'm not going to reference that old saying, lol.) I know a lot of people will say that that explains my apathy (aversion?) to marriage, but I'm not sure that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I understand the "marriage is just a piece of paper" argument (and I voted for #1) but at the same time I can see how, if you're going to the trouble to make sure the legal arrangements are in order for a long-term non-marriage relationship (wills, insurance, power of attorney, etc.) that a marriage license isn't all that much more effort. Six of one...
Lol, I guess I'm just being stubborn, but it's not the effort for me, I just don't like the idea of someone telling me that I have to get married to get those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships