Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 PM

421 posts, read 1,338,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I am 24 years old and my girlfriend and I moved together about 2 years ago. Since then, I have held a steady job and made decent money, and she has found it difficult to keep a job for more than a month without getting upset and quitting. She has found it is too expensive for her to go back to school, and has recently asked me if I would pay her bills if she stays at home and does housework. I thought originally that this would work well, as then we would have time together when I got home, but she hasn't been doing more than an hour or two of housework a day while I am at work, she sleeps until noon and complains about motivation issues. I love her, and would like to take the next step with her, but I feel like I shouldn't. What do you think?
I think she sounds depressed. Have you talked to her in depth about what she's feeling? She sounds really unhappy. Maybe not with you but maybe with life in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 AM

119 posts, read 518,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Tell her to get off her Butt and get a job, don't get her on meds, life is depressing if you don't make something out of it, You say you love her so motivate her instead of dumping her, if she doesn't get going then you need to concider if you need to end the relationship. Some people need a small fire under thier Butt to get them going.
I disagree. Some people have a chemical imbalance that causes depression, and meds are the only way to help them. Meds can be a WONDERFUL thing for someone suffering from depression. Meds can turn your "lazy" girlfriend into a productive and happy person. PLEASE, talk to her about the possibility of having depression. You obviously love this woman. Please help her be able to help herself.

However, some people can't be helped. If she doesn't want to help herself, there may not be much you can do. If her issues are making life miserable for you, then it's time to move on. Good luck!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,266,960 times
Sounds like she found herself a sugar daddy.. Don't play into the trap-- You are a hardworking guy, and you sound like you have a lot to offer-- Make sure you find someone who can offer you a lot too!! Find someone educated, or at least motivated, find someone the isnt dependant on you-- Don't even think about marriage yet until she can be more independent and support herself, if she cant take care of herself, do you think she'll be a decent mother, to take care of children, or wife, to nurture you the way a wife should?? Every husband should pamper their wife in some way, and in return, the wife should do the same!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,676,738 times
Well, I'm 26, I pay the mortgage, electric, oil, so on...
But, she is in school, getting another degree. She has a crappy part time job (which I want her to quit, she's looking for a less crappy job), but I don't mind paying right now. She is a full time student, and barely gets enough to cover her car payment/insurance at the moment. I'm ok with it because it'll change later.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:11 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,432,292 times
So...she sleeps until noon? After taking your shoes off, enter the house quietly. Now, I assume she's on the living room couch so proceed to the bedroom, grab as many clothes as you can carry, tiptoe back out past her, open the door and run like heck to your truck.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:32 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,475,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Find a girlfriend that will work so you don't have to. That's how I roll.
LMAO!!

I think she's immature and lazy. Even depressed people get off their asses and go make a pay check.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:43 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,475,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
But, she is in school, getting another degree. She has a crappy part time job (which I want her to quit, she's looking for a less crappy job), but I don't mind paying right now. She is a full time student, and barely gets enough to cover her car payment/insurance at the moment. I'm ok with it because it'll change later.

I just read this post. It's your fault she carries on the way she does.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:51 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,063,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
So ... what's the deal here? Do you want her to work or not? If you are willing to work and pay all the bills, then I don't understand what you are complaining about.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:24 PM

60 posts, read 163,338 times
Some women are not interested in working. if you really love her and you can put up financially with this set back then all the more power to you. I know that my sister in law doesn't work, she quit her job while she was still dating my brother and my brother has no problems supporting her so for them it works out very well. But since they don't have children yet, she spends 2 days a week in classes, one is for photography which is her new interest, and the other is for some sort of computer mastery thing that is related to her undergraduate degree. She's a intelligent, beautiful, and classy woman but she just doesn't like to work and he's okay with it. They have the most wonderful relationship. For some people, thats ok.

Maybe if you're concerned, you should talk to your girlfriend about it and see what she has to say for her lack of motivation. Maybe she has personal issues she hasn't dealt with yet. If you can deal with those issues then there's nothing wrong with moving forward. If you love someone so much, you should accept them for all their greatness and their weaknesses. So to the ones who tell you to cut your losses and that she's a user, well thats something only you and her would understand and know. No one else can tell you how that works. But to answer your question in short, it's not that weird as long as YOU don't think its weird. But you're the one who made this post, so somewhere along the way you must have thought it was at least worth mentioning.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,981,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
She's a user. Kick her sorry butt out and find a decent girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships