Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,451 times

Advertisements

My best friend has been messing with this guy for about 2 years now but they have been friends for much longer. She likes him as more than a friend but guessing on what she has told me about him, either he doesnt want anything more or he is holding his feelings inside. Well his birthday is next week and she bought him this GORGEOUS watch. She is hoping he will see she is trying to make moves on being more than just a friend with benefits but is this transition possible? Ive only tried to do it once and it failed so Im biased to think it cant happen. What do you all think? Is there anything she can do to make this transition?

Also, I want to suggest she return the watch. He never buys her birthday or christmas gifts but she is always getting him something. She said he doesnt have alot of money and she isnt doing it to get something in return but I think then maybe she should consider a different gift, maybe something less costly? I guess I dont want her regretting spending so much money on something that may never be more than what it is. She puts her heart all out for every guy and she still hasnt found love and she is 31.

Thanks for your opinions/suggestons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I heard it is very rare. I'm sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I heard it is very rare. I'm sorry to burst your bubble.
my bubble was burst years ago lol hers however is the one on the line lol

Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Damn, we women can be soooo stupid!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,320 times
I can only speak for myself. Call me old-fashioned and totally hypocritical if you like, personally I don't mind being friends, even best friends with them, but I would never enter a serious relationship, let alone marriage, with a woman who believes in and practices the whole friends with benefit thing. One night stand is one thing, but to intentionally open your pants to your friends purely for sexual satisfaction is totally different. It's a completely trashing down of what love and sex should be. I won't accept that and I won't accept those who accept that.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
The short answer: "No."

The long answer: Still no. Once a woman is only a booty call in a man's mind, that's it. He sees her as a sexual object, someone to have fun with but not to get serious about. You can't make a man fall in love with you through sex. Men aren't wired that way. Sex is sex, and that's it to most of them.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Women are a bit clueless sometimes about men.

I know someone right now that has been trying desperately to convince this one guy to marry her. At one point she moved out and they broke up, but of course are back together. He puts no effort into her, shows no emotion or love, doesn't add anything to the relationship. He's already getting all the sex he wants, a clean house, many of his high living bills paid for, ironed laundry, a dog cared for, meals, etc. Why would he marry her? He's already getting the whole package.

Can friends with benefits become more? I've seen it happen, but I would not count on much.

I had found that "friends with benefits" is a misnomer from the people I have seen involved in such. There is not much friendship happening there in reality, it is simply for satisfying sexual gratification. There is no making love or friendship there, just sex. And it always seems those relationships fall apart, sometimes disastrously, due to someone's feelings getting involved which is inevitable for what should be obvious reasons.

Frankly ladies, us men, if we have a relationship where we are getting frequent sex for no work or effort at all, we are likely not going to want to change that. In addition after two years of FWB, if we hadn't made a move to make it into something further, then we never will.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 PM

68 posts, read 285,740 times
Quote:
I had found that "friends with benefits" is a misnomer from the people I have seen involved in such. There is not much friendship happening there in reality, it is simply for satisfying sexual gratification. There is no making love or friendship there, just sex. And it always seems those relationships fall apart, sometimes disastrously, due to someone's feelings getting involved which is inevitable for what should be obvious reasons.

Frankly ladies, us men, if we have a relationship where we are getting frequent sex for no work or effort at all, we are likely not going to want to change that. In addition after two years of FWB, if we hadn't made a move to make it into something further, then we never will.

The truth.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I think in the end you need to let your freind decide what she wants to do. You can say if asked but you stand the chance of losing a friend if not asked. We all have to learn lessons; sometimes the hard way. Afterall we are only hearing your description of the relationship and you admit to having viewed it of your past relationship. He at least has ben honest from what you say.Just as men don't only give gifts to their future wife;so women are free to do the same.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:50 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
These things never work out but your friend has to figure that out for herself. Women never listen to other women when it comes to men (in my experience) so you have to simply let her spend her money on a watch and let her try to make something out of this and you have to be there for her if it does not succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships