Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:36 PM

348 posts, read 327,576 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't have a choice as I have to go in for blood testing that takes anywhere from 5 to 8 viles of blood per visit for my job at least once a year. The nurses are a real vampire, let me tell you. They are checking for ANY and EVERY STD out there including HIV. They check for illegal drugs, they check for booze, they check for pills and steroids.....high cholesterol, vitamin and mineral deficiencies.....etc etc..

If it is in your system, they will find it somewheres....

Then you get a tetanus shot after they measure and weigh you. They check your blood pressure and heart rate also.

So I hear it costs about a thousand dollars for this stuff....

You're all clean!

Back to work....hurry up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Right! I guess in some "clusters" of the population.

OP---I suggest if you test clean, that in the future you use some sort of barrier--- if you are gong to choose to sleep with carriers of disease.
Thank you. Every post he makes is through a highly sexually active lens of the NYC landscape. It's well represented numbers wise, but completely different than suburban/rural populations.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:30 PM

348 posts, read 327,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
Thank you. Every post he makes is through a highly sexually active lens of the NYC landscape. It's well represented numbers wise, but completely different than suburban/rural populations.
What are you catching with Amish virgins? Hope not anything at all. lol

Old 12-30-2014, 07:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post

I don't live in NYC, I never have, thank you, but no, it isn't different in suburban/rural populations as actually young people in those populations are more sexually active than their city peers. (Though there is sociological studies also showing the opposite, the results seem to vary widely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson C. View Post
What are you catching with Amish virgins? Hope not anything at all. lol

Don't laugh, I knew a virgin that had HSV2. You don't have to have intercourse to get it.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Here is the most recent data I've seen on HSV2 rates from the CDC

Seroprevalence of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Among Persons Aged 14--49 Years --- United States, 2005--2008

This table is probably easier to digest: Seroprevalence of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Among Persons Aged 14--49 Years --- United States, 2005--2008

But in my age bracket (40-49) a third of women test positive for it, and about 20% of men. It's super common.

More importantly of note: "Of those testing positive for HSV-2 infection, 81.1% said they had never been told by a doctor or health-care professional that they had genital herpes"

That's huge. Most people don't know. I think that is because lots of people don't get tested, or more importantly, HSV2 tests aren't part of the standard STD screen and people assume they are.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:11 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,967,167 times
Anyone, male or female, can be a carrier of HSV or HPV and never have symptoms. They are like any other virus in that you may feel a little "off" for a few days and then be fine, never knowing what caused it. Statistically as people get older there is more exposure to these viruses because they cannot be prevented. Even the HPV vaccine does not cover all strains, just like the flu vaccine is not 100% effective. I still think as a healthcare worker that the vaccines are worth getting, but know that you can still contract the virus. Also, men will rarely know that they are carriers. And the 20-somethings of today, only the females have been offered vaccination. So typically the males are carriers. Using a barrier method like a condom, is not 100% effective because a condom does not cover all skin areas where the viruses are present.

All that being said, I have seen studies where they tested large numbers of people in their 40's and 70-80% have been exposed to HPV ven though they had no symptoms, they carry antibodies that shows they contracted it at one time or another. As far as HSV, the statistics say that 1 in 5 are carriers, whether they know it or not.

Like any other virus, our bodies will generally fight it off without any further ado. However, all women should be getting regular pap smears if they are sexually active to watch for abnormal cells. HPV can lead to cancer in a small percentage of cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships