Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM

58 posts, read 45,896 times

Advertisements

Hung up on my ex? Ugh I hope not. Definitely think I'm hung up on how I felt when things were going good between us.

UsAll, thanks for that post. I've identified a few issues.

1. He is WAY more experienced than I am and it makes me feel insecure. What kind of outgoing, popular guy goes for an admittedly sheltered girl? I'm not on his level AT ALL.

2. He's a bit older and lived and traveled. He's done things I haven't gotten to yet. I don't know if he'd postpone kids/family just so I can live a little more.

3. I want to make sure that I like him for HIM and not because my family is insistent that he is The One.

I adore my family but they are so overwhelming sometimes. It's hard to fight.

I've been ruminating HARD on this relationship and I've read the thread so many times (thanks so much everyone!) I've decided I'm going to keep seeing him. We have lots of fun and I hope that sparks/butterflies can grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 08:07 PM

2,626 posts, read 3,432,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyTangerine View Post
Hung up on my ex? Ugh I hope not. Definitely think I'm hung up on how I felt when things were going good between us.

UsAll, thanks for that post. I've identified a few issues.

1. He is WAY more experienced than I am and it makes me feel insecure. What kind of outgoing, popular guy goes for an admittedly sheltered girl? I'm not on his level AT ALL.

2. He's a bit older and lived and traveled. He's done things I haven't gotten to yet. I don't know if he'd postpone kids/family just so I can live a little more.

3. I want to make sure that I like him for HIM and not because my family is insistent that he is The One.

I adore my family but they are so overwhelming sometimes. It's hard to fight.

I've been ruminating HARD on this relationship and I've read the thread so many times (thanks so much everyone!) I've decided I'm going to keep seeing him. We have lots of fun and I hope that sparks/butterflies can grow.

As to the boldfaced point above:

It is the choice of whatever number of men (often enough) to seek out women whom they perceive as "lesser than them" . . . whatever that means in each particular case. Each single man that does this may or may not even be thinking about it or not in those words at the very forefront of their minds but is something they rather do subconsciously. So this can, for instance, take the form of men gravitating toward women (or at least certain particular women) who are less worldly and overall experienced than them; less intellectually developed than them; less career- or livelihood-successful than them; less well-to-do socioeconomically than them; less overall sensually alluring than them; women who are leaning more toward being shy or shyer rather than being more bold, daring, cocky and self-confident; and other examples of being perceived as "lacking" in certain ways as compared to them (or at least as perceived by them in their own minds). The psychology behind their thinking may be that such a women, they think, may more lilkely look upon him and appreciate him more than a woman who "has it all" and is rather a "mirror image" of him. They think that, with such "mirror-image" women, there will be more of a sense of competitiveness, being more prone to arguments and locking of horns with one another (i.e., two strong-headed persons), and especially less of a sense of need and true appreciation for him on the woman's part (because such a woman who matches him in every way and "has it all" can likely, in his mind, "have any man she wants" and he thinks she would be that much less inclined or driven to take him on over all other men). In other words, he wonders "What void would I fill in her life that she would want me and truly appreciate and love me for taking her on and who would stand the test of time with me"?

So, from YOUR perspective (as you stated it), you feel lacking compared to him in terms of his greater worldliness, experience and accomplishment. And yet he "might" feel that this is actually an appealing aspect of you. That is, that he might feel that you would really be more inclined to truly appreciate and love him from the start or else come to love (over time) his qualities and what he has to offer . . . that is, that you would be more inclined to think that you got a great catch and am so very appreciative for him that you would genuinely love him in your heart of hearts (or at least this may be how such a man's thinking goes . . . at least with some men).

As a male (now 60 years of age per this writing), I have had, or to at least a certain degree, a plethora of women over the decades whom I interacted with in varied contexts and situations in life and entertained thoughts about whether they could be someone for me AND have had a host of women over the years, here and there, who have pursued me . . . apparently wanting me to be their man (their lover or significant other) or to outright marry them. And friends, associates or others, if they asked me why I, in the end, ultimately didn't pursue or even turned away from particular women and yet gravitated toward others whom they (the people querying me) found more "lacking" than that other woman or women whom they thought of as "winners", I would say to them: "The women whom I found more appealing for me looked up to me and idealized me more than these other women. They had an emptiness or gap in themselves that they deemed that I filled for them and had more a sense of true appreciation of and need for me". Now, that doesn't mean that I took all of the more "lacking" women on (there were varied broken hearts left behind)-- for various ones of them just lacked too too much in varied ways compared to me (too too intellectually non-developed and simple, too too unattractive or unappealing in a sensual sense, some of them had too deeply-seated mental or psychological problems or problems of psychological & social development, and so on). Yet as long as they had some thing(s) going for them and we somehow complemented each other in a desirable way, I found them more appealing to me than the "other" women who actually or seemingly had everything going for them. The "more lacking" women seemed that they'd be more devoted to and loving of me and more truly appreciative of me and my special qualities and aspects. In other words, they had vulnerability (i.e., they had as much to lose as I did . . . if not even more so than I did, or at least in some cases) and, in varied cases of particular women in mind, this was actually appealing to me about them.

Just offering up these thoughts for what they are worth (if anything).

Last edited by UsAll; 01-24-2015 at 08:16 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 06:59 PM

783 posts, read 853,080 times
If you don't feel it you don't feel it. Hopefully this won't be you 10-15 years from now though.

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/why-wom...421-1xdn0.html

Talking to many women like her, it's intriguing how many look back on past relationships where they let good men get away because they weren't ready. American journalist Kate Bolick wrote recently in The Atlantic about breaking off her three-year relationship with a man she described as ''intelligent, good-looking, loyal and kind''. She acknowledged ''there was no good reason to end things'', yet, at the time, she was convinced something was missing in the relationship. That was 11 years ago. She's is now 39 and facing grim choices.
''We arrived at the top of the staircase,'' Bolick wrote, ''finally ready to start our lives, only to discover a cavernous room at the tail end of a party, most of the men gone already, some having never shown up - and those who remain are leering by the cheese table, or are, you know, the ones you don't want to go out with.''

Old 01-26-2015, 09:23 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,652,872 times
Tell him he sucks and date someone new.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:30 AM

8,161 posts, read 6,058,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
If you don't feel it you don't feel it. Hopefully this won't be you 10-15 years from now though.

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/why-wom...421-1xdn0.html

Talking to many women like her, it's intriguing how many look back on past relationships where they let good men get away because they weren't ready. American journalist Kate Bolick wrote recently in The Atlantic about breaking off her three-year relationship with a man she described as ''intelligent, good-looking, loyal and kind''. She acknowledged ''there was no good reason to end things'', yet, at the time, she was convinced something was missing in the relationship. That was 11 years ago. She's is now 39 and facing grim choices.
''We arrived at the top of the staircase,'' Bolick wrote, ''finally ready to start our lives, only to discover a cavernous room at the tail end of a party, most of the men gone already, some having never shown up - and those who remain are leering by the cheese table, or are, you know, the ones you don't want to go out with.''
Sadly, I let my best choice go when I was 16. We dated for 3-4 years and marriage was the logically next step, but I needed to spread my wings so to speak. 16 was to young to be tied down. Oh well can't go back. I think I am adjusting to the idea that I will remain single forever, unless I change my mind regarding losers or just accept a man I gave zero attraction for.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:29 AM

1,274 posts, read 984,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Sadly, I let my best choice go when I was 16. We dated for 3-4 years and marriage was the logically next step, but I needed to spread my wings so to speak. 16 was to young to be tied down. Oh well can't go back. I think I am adjusting to the idea that I will remain single forever, unless I change my mind regarding losers or just accept a man I gave zero attraction for.
How old are you to say that a story that happened when you were 16 to 20 is going to let you become single forever?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,423,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
You can't blame yourself for that. There's ZERO chance I would have gotten married at 16 to anyone, lol.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:37 PM

16 posts, read 12,010 times
You're just not into him. Doesn't matter why.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 PM

16 posts, read 12,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
How old are you to say that a story that happened when you were 16 to 20 is going to let you become single forever?
It's not what happened to her 16-20 makes her single forever. It's where she's at now.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:47 AM

8,161 posts, read 6,058,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Now 36, so 20 years later and have had 5-6 failed relationships since. The prospects keep getting worse and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships