Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
They are definitely married.
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...christmas.html

"My husband got me nothing for Christmas"

"My husband and I have been married for one year."

Responses included such jewels as, "Run," and "Do you think you can live with that?" Other "issues" were identified later in the thread, but these were initial responses before these issues were identified.

That thread isn't the only thing that I'm talking about, though. It was just an example. I gave others.
My bad. There was another thread about a man not getting a present for his girlfriend. I didn't see the thread that you posted.

Even so - what kind of an a-hole doesn't get his wife a present but gets his friends presents? Would YOU want to be married to someone like that?

Each marriage can only be as healthy as the two people that are involved in the marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 04:32 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on this???
They mean just as much as they ever did.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:33 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If that Judge doesn't go crazy and knock dude on his a$& for bringing a case like that into his courtroom.
LOL ....bbbbut Judge, you don't understand........ it was OPI RED...

Old 01-22-2015, 04:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
It just seems like I'm constantly hearing/reading things about people who don't seem to take their marriage vows seriously...at all.

For example, a friend of mine threatened to leave her husband if he didn't quit his job so that they could move to her hometown.

I saw a thread here a little while ago where people were telling a woman to leave her husband because he didn't buy her a Christmas present.

Also, when googling how to remove fingernail polish from a sofa (don't ask), I came across the desperate cries of a woman whose two-year-old had gotten nail polish all over her mother-in-law's sofa and whose husband was "thinking about leaving her" because of it.

SERIOUSLY?

When I said my marriage vows, I vowed to stay with my husband "for better or for worse."

Leaving someone for cheating or something like that is understandable, but really...over Christmas presents or a ruined sofa?

Anyone have any thoughts on this???
You don't hear from people who are in committed marriages, because we don't typically hang out in relationship forums, and even if we did, you wouldn't find us all that interesting. It's confirmation bias. You believe people do not value their vows, and you tend to seek out and put more weight on that which supports your belief than that which contradicts it.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:40 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You don't hear from people who are in committed marriages, because we don't typically hang out in relationship forums, and even if we did, you wouldn't find us all that interesting. It's confirmation bias. You believe people do not value their vows, and you tend to seek out and put more weight on that which supports your belief than that which contradicts it.
No, I think that's a little dramatic. I am just pointing out one post on this forum. My other examples included a friend of mine who is also married and something that I came across when looking for cleaning tips. (Still haven't found the magic solution, in case anyone has tips for getting nail polish out of a microfiber sofa...)

I don't seek out or put more weight in any one belief. I was simply asking for thoughts on things that I've seen and heard lately.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
No, I think that's a little dramatic. I am just pointing out one post on this forum. My other examples included a friend of mine who is also married and something that I came across when looking for cleaning tips. (Still haven't found the magic solution, in case anyone has tips for getting nail polish out of a microfiber sofa...)

I don't seek out or put more weight in any one belief. I was simply asking for thoughts on things that I've seen and heard lately.
Many, many people take their marriage vows seriously. Me, for instance, but my experience doesn't make good click bait.

Good luck with the nail polish. Wish I could help, but I've never had much luck with nail polish spills on fabric.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:02 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Many, many people take their marriage vows seriously. Me, for instance, but my experience doesn't make good click bait.
My comments wouldn't matter here either.

Forty four years here and counting with the same beautiful soul. I told her I loved her this morning and she told me the same but our relationship is not movie-making material in a rubbernecking world.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
My comments wouldn't matter here either.

Forty four years here and counting with the same beautiful soul. I told her I loved her this morning and she told me the same but our relationship is not movie-making material in a rubbernecking world.
For me, it is. I love it.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
I agree with you. I've never been married, hell I haven't had a relationship that lasted over a month. But all the time, I hear about marriages ending, arguments about the dumbest things, and one or both of the spouses cheating on each on each other. Marriage seems like a joke nowadays.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I agree with you. I've never been married, hell I haven't had a relationship that lasted over a month. But all the time, I hear about marriages ending, arguments about the dumbest things, and one or both of the spouses cheating on each on each other. Marriage seems like a joke nowadays.
Yeah, or "she got fat" or "she never gives me any anymore."

Well, if me or my hubby get fat, then we'll start eating healthy and working out together!

And if we stop having sex, then we'll find out why. Usually, these issues can be attributed to something...exhaustion, depression, self-consciousness, bitterness toward the spouse for some reason or another, medical issues, etc. As a couple, you should work together find out what the problem is, not complain to all of your buddies and use it as an excuse to stray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships