Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
It doesn't have to be that, but obviously there is a reason that your conscious mind is overriding your reproductive instinct.
Most psychologists would probably consider it a good thing that human beings operate with intentions well above and beyond instinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
It doesn't have to be that, but obviously there is a reason that your conscious mind is overriding your reproductive instinct.

We know what my reasons are. You must have reasons also, whether you are consciously aware of them or not.
Give it up already, you've been harping on about this in 3 different threads, all day. What is wrong with you.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Most psychologists would probably consider it a good thing that human beings operate with intentions well above and beyond instinct.
In many cases, yes, it is good to operate above and beyond instinct. But again, there reasons for overriding instinct.

For example, I may choose to override my instinct to eliminate waste from my body because the urge comes in a situation in which it would be inappropriate to do so. In such a case, I didn't "just not want to do it", but rather there was a reason why I chose not to do it.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
My reason is that I simply don't want them because I have no DESIRE to have them. None, nada, ziltch.

I got a vasectomy when I was 21 so that I would NOT have any "mishaps" in my years to come or any oopses. Why? Because I DON'T want any, period!

Trust me, get out while you still have your sanity. Fighting this battle is like having children.....not something you want. ;P

Old 02-23-2015, 08:22 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Trust me, get out while you still have your sanity. Fighting this battle is like having children.....not something you want. ;P
Yeah, admittedly it is just like running around in circles.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Well-said!

But here's the rub. We keep hearing sensational reports that the birth-rate is crashing, that women are foreswearing motherhood as being something antiquated and enslaving, that modern sophisticates are more interested in starting businesses or changing the world, than in becoming parents. But is this really true? I think instead the frustration is when child-free people realize how unusual they (we) are. The vast, vast majority of able-bodied adults wants to have children - eventually. Maybe first they want to advance their careers. Maybe they're waiting for the "right" partner. But so very very few people regard reproduction as foolish or reprehensible. And it's this feeling of being in such as miniscule minority that's so frustrating. Then, one finally meets another child-free person... only to find that he/she is boring, hideous, obnoxious or otherwise unsuitable. And the frustration mounts!
But that's the plight of EVERYONE whose personal choices put them in a niche subpopulation. Everybody makes their choices and deals with the tradeoffs inherent.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
neutrino78x is a perfect example of the attitude that folks like myself have to contend with. I don't want children, but I don't dislike them nor do I tell others not to have children. And yet, here he is claiming that anyone who says they're childfree by choice hates kids and preaches to others not to have kids. What do you call a person who generalizes about an entire group of people? Tell me, do you make similar generalizations about Jews or blacks too?

As for all the things you got wrong, I've lost count, probably because I was too busy laughing at some of them. It's hard to take seriously someone who quotes Superman: The Movie to support his argument. He says that people have kids in order to contribute to the world. No, actually people have kids because they get horny, have sex, and babies show up 9 months later. I doubt you'll find a couple anywhere in the world that decides to have a child in order to make the world a better place. Having children is a fundamentally selfish act. No one thinks in terms of what that extra child does to the world. They think in terms of their own happiness, how having a child will make them happy, how it'll make their parents happy to have a grandchild, etc. neutrino78x also says that living things have an instinct to reproduce. No, they have an instinct to survive. I can abstain from sex, but I can't abstain from eating or breathing since my body will eventually force me to seek out food and air. Evolution favored humans who enjoyed sex since that would make them more likely to keep doing it and, therefore, lead to more humans. But that's NOT the same as saying we have an instinct to produce children. Instinct means you don't think about it and you have no control over it. But obviously, people can control whether they have sex. Sure, life would suck if you're celibate. But if sex were simply about perpetuating the species, then you'd think evolution would turn off sex drives once people were past childbearing age. Why do seniors still have sex? Why do sterile people have sex? Why do gay people have sex? Don't tell me that's part of the instinct to reproduce.

neutrino78x talks about how the childfree folks should help those who have kids. He says that we "could help couples who do have children in that they can be a good influence on the kids, help teach them, help think of things for the parents to do with their kids or places to take them, or watch them when the parents have to be away". Really? So my not wanting kids means I'm a bad influence? Why should I be the one to teach them anything? Isn't that their parents' job? Why should I watch those kids when the parents are away? I'm not their babysitter. neutrino78x wonders whether folks like me are going through phases. Congratulations for displaying the very arrogance we despise in people like you. Did it ever occur to you that we're not going through a phase, that we're 100% sure of our decisions? No, because you like so many other people out there arrogantly think you know what's going on in our heads. The part that made me laugh the most, though, was when he said he "would help out people who do have kids, if they needed and wanted that." Let's see if you'll help out when those kids need help paying for college.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
neutrino78x is a perfect example of the attitude that folks like myself have to contend with.
I don't believe that you run into neutrino78xs constantly in life, anymore than I believe that most childfree people are madly frothing antinatalists who scream in everyone's faces that, yes, they despise kids, yes, they despise people who have kids, no, they don't have kids, and nobody else should, either. I don't think neutrino is a "perfect example" of anything other than how to highjack a thread and get away with it.

Most people aren't extremists. We're looking at the tails of the distribution, here.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We're looking at the tails of the distribution, here.

It really does seem that forums such as this cater to the extremes (yes, I realize that might be a self indictment).

Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't believe that you run into neutrino78xs constantly in life, anymore than I believe that most childfree people are madly frothing antinatalists who scream in everyone's faces that, yes, they despise kids, yes, they despise people who have kids, no, they don't have kids, and nobody else should, either. I don't think neutrino is a "perfect example" of anything other than how to highjack a thread and get away with it.

Most people aren't extremists. We're looking at the tails of the distribution, here.
Maybe not constantly, but I have had to contend with attitudes like his anytime I disclose that I don't want children. A lot of times, they don't even give me the chance to explain why. They just assume things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships