Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:02 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,782,301 times

Advertisements

If you were dating someone and their parent of the same sex gets a fatal disease that is hereditary, would you stay with that person knowing there is a chance they will die from that same sickness? Sure, anyone can get cancer nowadays or die from a car crash when they're young or whatever, but if you know the person you're dating will get the sickness by the time they're middle aged, would you stay with them? Are you the type that will say "I can't deal with that, I want to be with someone for as long as possible" or "I don't care, I like that person too much, I don't think I'm going to find someone I like better. I'll be there for them and maybe there's a chance they'll survive."? Or will that depend on age? If you're younger will you just wait it out and see where your relationship takes you? If you fight in the future, would this be something to consider if you want to leave them then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,445,742 times
Of course.

And just because something runs in a family, doesn't make it a for sure thing. Higher risk? Yes. Guaranteed? No.

What? Do you pre-screen potential partners with a check list or something? What are you, a life insurance agent?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:34 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,129,834 times
Yes.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 AM

366 posts, read 411,477 times
Not if it was a new relationship. If I'm not invested in the person yet I'm not going to willingly take that on.

Now if it's a spouse or someone I love dearly it wouldn't matter to me.

Are we talking quickish death or a slow, expensive degenerative disease?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 AM

535 posts, read 516,343 times
Yes, I would stay with the person.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Of course I'd continue to date them.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:27 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,974,411 times
I think this is a great question. I can't really answer this right now but will definitely get back to you. While saying this, I believe it is a personal move that one has to make and shouldn't be judged so as long as you openly discuss your actions with that person. There is NO RIGHT OR WRONG in this case. It's strictly personal.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:30 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,974,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post

Are we talking quickish death or a slow, expensive degenerative disease?
These are also very good questions that may play huge roles in the decision making process.

And like I said previously, it's a personal thing that I really don't think one should get caught up in the "moral" aspects of it. Removing the dating part and continuing to be a friend and supportive is commendable. But again, it's a personal choice that shouldn't be judged.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:41 AM

6,457 posts, read 9,831,323 times
Just dating probably not, married or engaged maybe.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
Are you actually in this situation or is this purely hypothetical? I would say that it depends on a number of things but ultimately, if you are in this situation then you probably know right away what you want to do. You are either strong enough to go through it and love the person enough to stay by their side or you realize that you don't have what it takes or aren't in love with them so you decide to leave. I have a feeling that it's probably something you know in your gut as soon as you find out. And sometimes you may find over time that you really aren't strong enough or you aren't in love with them. My mom's best friend suffered kidney failure when she was 28 and her husband divorced her because he suffered from depression and wasn't strong enough to be there for her through everything. They remained friends until she passed away last week. She didn't hold it against him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships