Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 AM

79 posts, read 63,070 times

Advertisements

My STRUGGLES with dating are starting to make me feel like there is something wrong with me.

One of my biggest pet peeves/turn offs is a man who is super clingy right off the bat. Yet, almost every guy I go out with once, starts texting all the time and saying things that are a little much.

For example, I met this guy and we exchanged numbers. I wasn't even able to go out on an actual date with him before he started texting and calling all the time. There was even a time where I had told him I had a friend in town visiting and that I was spending time with her. He still continued to text me the entire time we were together until I eventually started ignoring him.

The guy I went out with last Thursday seemed fine, until this weekend. After our date, he made a comment that his sister-in-law was a huge fan of the same college team as me and she would "Be happy to have another fan in the family". UM WHAT?! Is that a little much or is that just me?! Then I went home this weekend for my grandfather's funeral and he wouldn't stop texting me. Maybe its my fault for not saying anything, but we would send a few texts and stop talking and a few hours later I'd get a text from him saying "Hi Jess!!!". I'd respond and he would tell me everything he was doing. We would stop talking about then a few hours later, he would text me again. At first, it was nice to have someone check in, but I HATE constant texting, especially when there isn't anything to talk about. He would text me every morning. Then yesterday, he wanted to hang out last night. I told him I wasn't sure what time I would be back home but I'd keep him updated. Later in the day, I told him that I was probably just going to stay at home, that I was exhausted from the weekend. He said "Alright. Have a good night", and that was the last I heard from him.

I just want someone who I go out on a date with, he schedules another date, maybe checks in once or twice before that date, but that's it. Is that wrong?! I don't want to go out with someone once and then they start texting me like we are in a relationship. I have no idea if I really want to date them after just one date!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:08 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Welcome to the modern man. I don't do this but it's a huge problem, guys are needy and get attached at the drop of a hat. Can't just chill out.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl1419 View Post
Maybe its my fault for not saying anything...
Yes. This. ^^^

They can't read your mind.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes. This. ^^^

They can't read your mind.
But even then, they are not a child. I think it would be common sense that if I was home with my family for my grandfather's death, maybe he should respect that and not try to maintain contact the entire time.

I know that no one would have to tell me to let them have family time if the role was reversed.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:19 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Stop attracting thirsty men. You need to assert yourself/be a b*tch for lack of a better word

Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 AM

376 posts, read 317,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Stop attracting thirsty men

After 50 years of being beat down in the culture war, most men are this way.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Stop attracting thirsty men. You need to assert yourself/be a b*tch for lack of a better word
I'd love to if I knew what I was doing!!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
My STRUGGLES with dating are starting to make me feel like there is something wrong with me.

One of my biggest pet peeves/turn offs is a man who is super clingy right off the bat. Yet, almost every guy I go out with once, starts texting all the time and saying things that are a little much.

For example, I met this guy and we exchanged numbers. I wasn't even able to go out on an actual date with him before he started texting and calling all the time. There was even a time where I had told him I had a friend in town visiting and that I was spending time with her. He still continued to text me the entire time we were together until I eventually started ignoring him.

The guy I went out with last Thursday seemed fine, until this weekend. After our date, he made a comment that his sister-in-law was a huge fan of the same college team as me and she would "Be happy to have another fan in the family". UM WHAT?! Is that a little much or is that just me?! Then I went home this weekend for my grandfather's funeral and he wouldn't stop texting me. Maybe its my fault for not saying anything, but we would send a few texts and stop talking and a few hours later I'd get a text from him saying "Hi Jess!!!". I'd respond and he would tell me everything he was doing. We would stop talking about then a few hours later, he would text me again. At first, it was nice to have someone check in, but I HATE constant texting, especially when there isn't anything to talk about. He would text me every morning. Then yesterday, he wanted to hang out last night. I told him I wasn't sure what time I would be back home but I'd keep him updated. Later in the day, I told him that I was probably just going to stay at home, that I was exhausted from the weekend. He said "Alright. Have a good night", and that was the last I heard from him.

I just want someone who I go out on a date with, he schedules another date, maybe checks in once or twice before that date, but that's it. Is that wrong?! I don't want to go out with someone once and then they start texting me like we are in a relationship. I have no idea if I really want to date them after just one date!!
Get a prepaid cell phone to give that number to your potential dates and turn it off when you don't want to get any calls or text. Turn it on when you want to contact them and tell them that you will contact them.

If you cannot draw the line on boundaries and let them know what those boundaries are they have no clue they are being annoying, they probably think they are being responsible in showing interest.
No one can take advantage of you if you do not allow them to.

Why didn't you tell the guy you were at a funeral out of town and prefer not to be bothered during that time?

Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Quote:
I'd love to if I knew what I was doing!!
Make it crystal clear that you won't tolerate needy men

Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
They may just be confused about how to act. Some women hate it when a guy "disappears"; we've had MANY threads here from women who are worried about being dumped if they don't hear from the guy after a day. They go out on Saturday and the guy hasn't called or texted by Sunday afternoon, and they think he's ghosted. So maybe a lot of men overdo it now. I would just be upfront about the type and frequency of communication you like. Personally, I hate texting for anything other than the perfunctory "I'll be there in 10, just looking for parking" kind of thing. I have friends who like to chat over text and I just tell them I don't have my phone with me all the time. I may not be ready to sit and stare at the screen when they are ready to "talk." I think if you are more open about what you prefer and are willing to do, you will sift through the guys who are genuinely clingy and find those who are just trying a little too hard not to screw things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships