Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 11:51 AM

165 posts, read 159,663 times

Advertisements

*I'm sorry this is lengthy!*

I'm a 20[F] year old college student that doesn't have the best of luck meeting guys looking for a meaningful relationship. A lot of guys my age want to have one night stands and stuff. I'm also pretty shy, so because of these two things I've never been in a serious relationship. I honestly think I have bad luck meeting people or don't surround myself in the right circles of people. I'm told all the time I'm gorgeous so I don't think it has to do with my appearance.

In October 2014, I met someone online through Reddit. It was a total accident, we basically started talking through messages and then exchanged phone numbers. I'm 20 and he is 23. I live in Rhode Island and he lives in Texas. We live 2,000+ miles away but still developed a relationship anyway; it was crazy. From October to December, we talked almost every single day. We had so much in common and talking to him was so natural. He made me laugh like no one has before, and we became best friends. I began to develop really intense feelings for him as these months were passing, even though we never met in person yet. There were times when we would have 3+ hour long phone conversations, and sometimes we would leave our phones connected on our pillows and fall asleep "together." He always called when he said he would, and was an all around good friend. In December, we decided that he was going to fly to meet me in January during my time off from school.

Let's call "him" Jake.

During this time we were talking, I shared with him that I was still a virgin because I'd never met a guy that I trusted enough or knew well enough to sleep with. I've basically been looking for a steady boyfriend but had never found one. I didn't want to lose it to a one night stand, but the older I was getting the more curious I was about sex. I wanted to try it. Since at this point in my life I knew I was ready to have sex, I honestly thought I was ready to do it with Jake. The one thing that Jake made clear to me was that he wasn't the relationship type. He had been hurt in the past and lived a very spontaneous life, (his word was "transient") and he said that he lost interest easily. I thought I could change him - I was wrong. January rolled around, and Jake and I finally met. It was the most wonderful week of my life, and we basically played house all week and stayed in bed eating, snuggling, and talking, and having sex. Jake never made me feel not special. He told me he hadn't felt this way in forever about a girl, and that I was beautiful and perfect. He was shocked that I had never had a boyfriend.

After Jake left, the first two weeks were pretty normal. We continued talking everyday and I was generally happy with him. By Valentines day however, we had been starting to fight a lot over stupid things. Last Monday we got into an argument because I called him in the library and he couldn't hear me. He cursed at me over the phone and I hung up on him. We called each other back and we began to fight more and he said that I don't respect him. I began to apologize and he told me I wasn't understanding his point. He began to tell me that he's tired of "telling me all of his problems for me" and "pulling my weight in the relationship."

Since this argument he refused to answer my phone calls. I sent him long text messages that I later found out he never read. He referred to my personal life information as "baggage." He told me that he cares more about being respected than saving the relationship. After a few days of not talking, he tried to tell me that he only wanted me to send him sexy pictures and have phone sex. He said he wasn't going to pursue the emotional aspect of our relationship anymore. I apologized multiple times, but he kept telling me that's "not solving the issue." He basically shut down and started to tell me he "was losing interest" because I was "leeching." I'm at a complete loss and feel like the person I'm talking to now is a different person than who I once knew. He won't even pick up the phone. I lost my virginity to him I told him that I couldn't cry over him anymore and I texted him "goodbye<3" and he texted me "goodbye<3" back. It's really over and I'm devastated. What happened? I feel like I have no answers. I feel like he never cared.

I don't understand how someone could be someones best friend and then just disappear. To not even owe me a phone call goodbye is the saddest and sharpest pain I've ever felt. He knew how important my virginity was to me, it wasn't an easy decision to sleep with him. I thought about it for weeks in December. I just don't feel like I can ever trust again. I feel dead inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 11:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandaisy View Post
The one thing that Jake made clear to me was that he wasn't the relationship type.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am sorry you are hurting.

Yes, it is over, and you may never get the closure you want. Sometimes you have to just accept things and move on. It is very difficult, but it is the only way.

You had a great week with him. Remember that, and forget the rest. Something set him off and honestly, you don't really need to know what it is. It has more to do with him than with you.

What I would do is focus on what you can learn from this experience and how to approach relationships moving forward.

And remember that when people tell you who they are, you should listen.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:57 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
The reality is life isn't a movie or storybook and there are many situations where you don't get an answer to all your questions to tie up all the loose ends. My suggestion is don't torture yourself by looking for this "closure." The fact you guys are no longer in a relationship is the closure. Now you move on.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
You are 20 years old.

Trust me when I tell you, in 10 years you will barely remember his name.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:37 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
You are 20 years old.

Trust me when I tell you, in 10 years you will barely remember his name.
Well...she lost her virginity to him, so I think she'll remember (and regret). OP, you are young and your mistake was in thinking that you could change his mind about not being "the relationship type." Regardless of how sweet he was when you were together, he told you this. Always believe it when a man makes a statement like this. I'm very sorry that you got hurt. The only thing that will help you feel better is the passing of time and the perspective you'll gain as a result.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:50 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Well...she lost her virginity to him, so I think she'll remember (and regret). OP, you are young and your mistake was in thinking that you could change his mind about not being "the relationship type." Regardless of how sweet he was when you were together, he told you this. Always believe it when a man makes a statement like this. I'm very sorry that you got hurt. The only thing that will help you feel better is the passing of time and the perspective you'll gain as a result.
I don't know if she should regret it.

She enjoyed herself and had fun with someone who at that point in her life she was in to.

But I completely agree with him being upfront.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:38 PM

165 posts, read 159,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Yeah I really don't want to keep thinking about it as a regret. I already feel like I wasted it on him, so that just makes it worse. I did have fun at the time, so the expierience was nice. I'm just so disappointed with how it ended, I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships