Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,104,719 times

Advertisements

Is it good or bad to have a crush on your online friend?

I have a crush on a girl who I'm really good online friends with and I've been friends with her since the Fall of 2005, she is only a few months younger than me (we're both now in our late 20s) and I've learned an awful lot from being friends with her, she has given me some great advice over the years we were friends and she has inspired me to be more successful in life and to accomplish more out of life, she also has a great sense of humor and she never fails to crack me up.

Plus one thing what I really like about her is that she isn't afraid to give me the advice that I need to hear and whenever I do something she doesn't like she won't hesitate to tell me how she feels and she has told me that if she has something I didn't like I shouldn't hesitate to tell her either, it's very rare for her to do something I don't like and I try to be as easygoing and laid back about it.

Plus when I was feeling down over a bunch of my old high school *friends* snubbing me off on MySpace, I was suffering from a nervous breakdown and I also almost lost my sanity and my friend was able to get me back on my feet and be my old self again and now when I think about those girls snubbing me off on MySpace I now think of my friend being there for me and I feel like a winner for having her by my side rather than a loser for getting snubbed off by a bunch of old friends, at the time I've felt that me getting reconnected would be a great way for me to get over my friend but I think I'm much happier being with my friend than I would chatting with my old *friends* from high school.

I still have a crush on my friend but I can control it alot better than I've used to, she is from another website.

Last edited by Mopac1980; 01-11-2008 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add one thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,190,093 times
Is it good or bad to have a crush on your online friend? It depends. Does she have feelings for you?

My husband and I met online, on my website (a reality tv site - I was the webmaster, he was a moderator) and in just a few months we'll have been married 5 years. Lots of people meet their significant other online these days. It's a new era. You have to be careful of course, because there are a lot of liars out there but it's the same in real life - there are people who seem great at first and then turn out to be different than you thought, in real life and online.

If you have feelings for your friend you'll never know if it could turn into something more unless you ask her how she feels about you.

"You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat."

Old 01-11-2008, 10:53 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Have you ever met this friend in person? I think that it's very natural to have affectionate feelings for someone that has always supported you as a friend. But one shouldn't confuse those feelings with love. I think that she has been a great penpal to you and that you can consider her a good friend and confidante. And I think that because your friend is a female, you have hopes for more than a friendship. But if you had a male buddy that was as supportive, you would only consider him a best friend.

So consider this person a best friend and kindred spirit, but wait until you meet and actually spend some in person time with her before letting your feelings blossom into a full fledged crush.

And I've been in your shoes. I was online friends with my boyfriend for about six months. We were online best friends. We could talk about anything and did. Then we spent about a month as platonic best friends taking a road trip to visit some other message board friends on the West Coast. We've been living together for over three years now very happily. However, I've met other internet friends before. Many did not live up to their online persona. Some people are more interesting on the internet than in person. Maybe it's just that their writing styles are different from how they really speak.

How does this online female friend feel about you? Do you think that she has a crush on you?

Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
I too was wondering if you had ever even met this girl in person. If you have and you both click with one another, sure - why not. But if you've never met her, it's kind of like having an imaginary friend.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Also keep in mind, since you haven't met her, that you've only been shown her best qualities... meeting her might be a bit of a let down. So keep your feet firmly planted on the ground with her and try to have a realistic attitude about her.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:30 PM

324 posts, read 1,286,064 times
I also married someone I met online but we went to the same college (actually was just finishing up my last year of hs) and after a year of talking online we met and started hanging out and then started dating.

My best friend met someone online back in high school. They lived over 1000 miles away from each other. Their online conversations spread to the phone and they would talk every night. Eventually he came to see her and they started a long distance relationship. Once she went to college he moved up to be with her and over the course of many years they finally got married and are very happy .

As per the previous poster - I have another friend who met someone online, again it was a distance thing. They considered themselves a couple after a while. When she finally did get to visit him, it was a huge let-down! She was unattracted to him and the home situation was sort of dirty. It was hard to explain to him why the sudden change of heart.

Its definitely a new era, online relationships can go either way.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:33 PM

320 posts, read 954,960 times
good luck!!!! i believe it can be done ..anything is possible

Old 01-11-2008, 01:10 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,738,498 times
Default Relax it is all very normal.........

I have tons of online ladies that have a big crush on me.

Nothing you can do about it. They also are not shy about telling me what they don't like or where to go. Thinking about it, something just like real life. They do the same there. It can get really bad in real life.

About your only defense is to be easy going and laid back. If that does not work try putting up your hands. Complete surrender is all many really understand.

I do not know what it is like to have a crush on them. I usually just say I Love You. Sometimes that works, sometimes it can just get you bashed. About the same in real life.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
Is it good or bad to have a crush on your online friend? It depends. Does she have feelings for you?

My husband and I met online, on my website (a reality tv site - I was the webmaster, he was a moderator) and in just a few months we'll have been married 5 years. Lots of people meet their significant other online these days. It's a new era. You have to be careful of course, because there are a lot of liars out there but it's the same in real life - there are people who seem great at first and then turn out to be different than you thought, in real life and online.

If you have feelings for your friend you'll never know if it could turn into something more unless you ask her how she feels about you.

"You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat."
She does have a boyfriend and I'm happy for her that she has a wonderful supporting boyfriend and she does come online to chat with her friends, I've had no idea that lots of people meet their significant other online these days, I do know that you get to meet alot of people online these days.

I'm pretty easygoing about our friendship and I do feel lucky, fortunate and blessed to have her as my friend

Old 01-11-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I have tons of online ladies that have a big crush on me.

Nothing you can do about it. They also are not shy about telling me what they don't like or where to go. Thinking about it, something just like real life. They do the same there. It can get really bad in real life.

About your only defense is to be easy going and laid back. If that does not work try putting up your hands. Complete surrender is all many really understand.

I do not know what it is like to have a crush on them. I usually just say I Love You. Sometimes that works, sometimes it can just get you bashed. About the same in real life.

I have never really expressed my feelings towards her and I do prefer to keep our friendship as just a good solid friendship and nothing else, I've had a few girls who had feelings for me but they ended up finding other boyfriends, I do admire people for being honest and straight forward towards me and I admire people who are honest and expressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships