Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 PM

45 posts, read 78,940 times

Advertisements

Mom says it's NOT old fashioned to get married first.

-This way you know you really love the person.

-If you get into fights, you're more likely to work at them whereas if you were just living with someone, you could more easily walk out on the relationship because you can't deal with their little-things-they-do-you-can't-stand.

-She also said "moving-in is the number one way to break up a relationship". She moved-in, they were eventually married by state because they were living together long enough, but the relationship never lasted.

I think girls should definitely want to marry first, that way they don't have to worry about that "why buy the milk when the cow is free?" situation. Guys have a girl to sleep with, cook, do the laundry and all that less glamourous stuff that comes with marriage. If a girl moves in, for some guys they get the cow for free and don't have to fully commit. In a way, I feel like if the girl moves in, it's like saying ohok I'm not good enough to marry, so I can settle for half a commitment.

I know this isn't always the case, but IMO, it's a good way for the girl to know the dude really loves her. (and a way for the guy to know too). I have noticed, some, relationships have worked when they moved-in first.

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
This is the dumbest thing I ever heard...how old are u? And no don't marry first then if it doesn't work out you get a divorce.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
shack up does not promote better and more stable marriage. in fact it creates the reverse.
people that do it are more prone to break up and quicker. shackers do not divorce less.
every time you use that glue gun (sex) and change your mind (breakup) the bond gets weaker.
americans know how to have sex but no longer know how to stick together, 50 years of ignorance.
bout 1963 we swerved off the freeway and wrapped around a tree.
america the flaky.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,371 times
Marry first, then move in.

But, you should know him/her 100% before getting married

Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Doesn't matter how old I am. It's just a question hah. and if you have a feeling that something "won't work out" then you probably shouldn't marry em right.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlWhoLovesLife View Post
Doesn't matter how old I am. It's just a question hah. and if you have a feeling that something "won't work out" then you probably shouldn't marry em right.
yep

Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Why do you think people back in the day stayed married for 40 years? Ain't noone movin in before they tied the knot! Stuck it together through little problems cause the love was probably there.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
Move in first, this isn't the 50's anymore. If you can't live together unmarried you sure won't be able to married. Fake fronts eventually wear off in 24 hour/7 day a week situations. You can't hide the real self like when dating and living apart. I thought I knew people pretty well until I was around them a lot. Man was I wrong. I didn't have a clue. YMMV Good luck! Rugged

Old 12-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Maybe...but also...I think when you move in you get to find out how this person is day and night. Things that he does that will irk you.

Moods...how he handles bills, cleaning, cooking, ect. You will meet the real him. And get to decide...do you want him or not. Marry him and find out he pays his bills late...he's freaken lazy...the place is a pig stye... he picks his nose and flings it...he doesn't wipe his butt good and has skid marks...he drinks alot...goes out and doesn't return for hours...when you ask where he has been he says" nuna yer damn business".

Last edited by Raena77; 12-11-2009 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 12-11-2009, 09:16 PM

You can find that out by spending time with the person. You should be spending that much time with them before you marry anyway. You'll know if someone's fake or doesn't clean by hangin out with him/her, seeing how they interact with friends, family, you alone. And honestly, everyone has quirks about them that you're not gonna like. And If you can't take some of the cons that inevitably come with the pros, then you won't be able to be with anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships