Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:19 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHS View Post
That doesn't always work. Like the OP's friend, I also have cerebral palsy, the kind that affects my walking, not my thinking (just clearing up a misconception about CP I saw earlier in this thread.). I CAN walk, but due to my CP, I tire easily, and need to get around in my chair. I belong to a group of disabled people and have several times asked women there out, all unsuccessfully. Even the disabled can shoot you down.

It absolutely boggles the mind that in this so-called age of enlightenment when racial and gender barriers are slowly going away, the disabled is still looked down on as helpless. We aren't.
Dating is always tough, regardless if someone is physically challenged or not. Even people with no physical disabilities get turned down a lot, especially if they lack social skills.

Eventually some people will become disabled, whether thru accidents or age. I don't think the majority of people look down on the disabled as helpless. I see a lot of them in relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 02:29 PM

630 posts, read 1,049,085 times
The teenager was born with cerebral palsy. The MTV competitor was born without fingers on his hand. And the other was attacked by a shark when young and now has to adapt to a life without an arm so it's still challenging whether she was born that way or not. I think it's great how these people are publicized in the media so it can help change how people view those with disabilities.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:42 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,090 times
Why do you feel the need to point out that to him at all that "he doesn't have the maturity to have a girlfriend"? There are lots of people with mental and/or physical problems who do find partners. I was married to one for over 20 years, so I know. And after being with me for that long, I am sure he had his hands full trying to deal with my mental problems as well.

You sound like a nice friend, however, I think it would be cruel and thoughtless to tell this man that he "can't" have a girlfriend and I think it would be very hurtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships