Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 11:10 AM

9 posts, read 4,874 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for your time.

In my silly bid to understand male psychology (I can't really; everyone's different) I thought some outside opinions could be useful. I'm quite intrigued about the answers, provided there will be any.

My question is primarily for men - how much time do you guys need on average in order to feel that your partner is not intruding on your private 'space', pestering or preventing you from doing whatever you were doing before becoming involved with them?

The situation I'm about to describe is fairly unusual. So I would really appreciate it if you were totally honest about how you see it - I'm thinking maybe it's ideal for men and would be more common if more women accepted it. Or maybe it's not normal or acceptable at all.

A man in his early 40's is engaged to a woman he already has children with and has been officially living with for almost a decade. Only they don't live together now as he lives in a flat just 15 minutes away from hers. Initially, the reason given was lack of space and quietness (he works online) as her place is very small and kids do tend to be noisy. So it's understandable to go somewhere else to work - except he sleeps there as well. He is there constantly and only visits his family 2 or 3 times a month, as if they were separated, basically.

He's really smart and kind and has good moral values; he also says he is lonely there and promises a future of a shared house (which is unlikely to happen within the next few years, financially, so a very elusive future). Also, he enjoys visits from his partner, who drops by with home-cooked meals twice a week or so; he allows her to drop by unannounced at any time, day or night, so he is definitely not seeing anyone else. He also enjoys spending 'alone' time with his partner when her mother babysits. These would be the good parts. He talks about marriage and being together forever.

He is loving and affectionate while with his partner but sees her and speaks to her more seldom than one would when dating. Besides, he doesn't read his emails for days on end and has no phone so the only way to contact him in a potential emergency is by knocking on his door. Which is time wasted, so in an emergency of any kind his partner is used to turning to her family instead. Her family dislikes him quite a bit due to his lack of involvement and support. Obviously, he is not involved in his children's lives either, though he is a great Dad while with them.These would be the negative parts.

His partner is becoming quite lonely after almost two years of living apart in this manner and can't understand how someone can seem so committed and at the same time be so little involved and not there when needed, in everyday life, basically. He's not exactly touring Europe with a band or away in the army; he lives up the road.

Oh, and I forgot to say his partner generally avoids bothering him as he is very reclusive and has an erratic schedule (he works at night, by choice, and sleeps during the day mostly). Also, he has expressed his discontent about being bothered when a problem was involved (he's happy with visits when everything's rosy though) and his partner has learned he is the very last option in that sense.

So what do you think?

Thanks again; I was going to boil this down to a few lines but it never works.

Last edited by Inquisitive29; 04-12-2015 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 11:26 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
How two adults choose to live their life is their decision. But he made the decision to have children, he needs to participate in raising them. That's unacceptable, and any woman who facilitates this mess is doing a disservice to her children as well. IMO

For me personally? While I would also enjoy the space, emotionally having a guy not want to be more in my life would not be acceptable. I would not wait around for some guy to want to marry me (if that is what I wanted). I would rather rip off the bandaid then remove it slowly. Delivering home cooked meals? No way. You want out, then be OUT.

The family should be mad at her too. She is completely facilitating his selfish needs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-12-2015, 11:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive29 View Post
A man in his early 40's is engaged to a woman he already has children with and has been officially living with for almost a decade. Only they don't live together now as he lives in a flat just 15 minutes away from hers. Initially, the reason given was lack of space and quietness (he works online) as her place is very small and kids do tend to be noisy. So it's understandable to go somewhere else to work - except he sleeps there as well. He is there constantly and only visits his family 2 or 3 times a month, as if they were separated, basically.
Ugh. He should have used birth control if he didn't want to be a parent.

Quote:
He's really smart and kind and has good moral values; he also says he is lonely there and promises a future of a shared house (which is unlikely to happen within the next few years, financially, so a very elusive future). Also, he enjoys visits from his partner, who drops by with home-cooked meals twice a week or so; he allows her to drop by unannounced at any time, day or night,
How kind of him to "allow" her.
Quote:
He talks about marriage and being together forever.
Anyone can TALK about marriage, but they aren't even "together" now. Why would they be together "forever"??

Quote:

So what do you think?
I think this is not the same as "needing your space." This is not being accountable.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:38 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
She should have moved on long ago, to find a guy who was serious about marriage. She could drop the kids off at his place, and take a job out of town, and look for a new guy.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 AM

I was expecting this sort of anger from ladies (which is what I presume the above posters are, according to their reaction). My question however is directed at men and how they personally see this situation.

I'm interested in the cold, undisguised, scientifically dissected features of male nature. In spite of how society tends or wishes to regulate them.

Human nature doesn't necessarily ply on the social conventions of the day. And while we mostly abide by these conventions, we sometimes do it against our natural instincts. It's these natural instincts I'm interested in. The conventions will keep on changing, as they have throughout centuries and decades (to speak of recent times, of course ).

Old 04-12-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I was expecting this sort of anger from ladies (which is what I presume the above posters are, according to their reaction). My question however is directed at men and how they personally see this situation.

I'm interested in the cold, undisguised, scientifically dissected features of male nature. In spite of how society tends or wishes to regulate them.

Human nature doesn't necessarily ply on the social conventions of the day. And while we mostly abide by these conventions, we sometimes do it against our natural instincts. It's these natural instincts I'm interested in. The conventions will keep on changing, as they have throughout centuries and decades (to speak of recent times, of course ).
Oh, you're one of those.

That last paragraph doesn't really say anything.

Also, remember in your OP you asked for OPINIONS, not science.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:50 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:

Anger? It's a practical response. I wonder who takes care of the kids when she goes on vacation, or spends time over at his place? Or wants to spend time with friends?

If the situation were reversed, how many men would put up with seeing their SO less frequently than when dating, and delivering food twice/week without being able to call or email in advance, or enjoy a phone call or email exchange a few times/week? This would be a demeaning situation for anyone.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think this is not the same as "needing your space." This is not being accountable.
I agree. That's what makes matters difficult.
Although to think of it, in past centuries men were only responsible for providing, while women were responsible for all the rest. When both partners work however, there should be shared responsibilities.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I agree. That's what makes matters difficult.
Although to think of it, in past centuries men were only responsible for providing, while women were responsible for all the rest. When both partners work however, there should be shared responsibilities.
So which one do you think is "human nature"?

Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Why do people on here keep picking one kookabunny and then asking people to explain the behavior as a representative of the entire demographic?

It's ridiculous and doesn't even make for interesting conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships