Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:30 AM

81 posts, read 88,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Of course they do. Guys need women as friends just like women do, However, for a guy having a woman for a friend is like having a gay guy for a friend. Nothing wrong with it, just have to maintain boundaries.
Not sure I agree with the bolded part.

There are women I want to have sex with, and there is everyone else. I don't really see the point of female friends per say. Women I would want to go play pool or golf with, or do something socially is what I mean. Maybe that's just me? Maybe I just have yet to meet a woman into anything remotely like I am. Maybe such a person exists, maybe that woman is a lesbian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:37 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
Not sure I agree with the bolded part.

There are women I want to have sex with, and there is everyone else. I don't really see the point of female friends per say. Women I would want to go play pool or golf with, or do something socially is what I mean. Maybe that's just me? Maybe I just have yet to meet a woman into anything remotely like I am. Maybe such a person exists, maybe that woman is a lesbian?

Why would women be any different? I go to brewfests, hike, see bands, do road trips, snowshoe, BBQ, etc with lady friends, just as much as dudes. Why would it be any different?

Old 04-06-2015, 11:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Okay, I understand that women frequently friend-zone men as a "soft" kind of rejection. But I am a man and don't remember ever friend-zoning any woman. That would be strange. More like a nice bye-bye when I wasn't available.

What's your opinion?
I've friend-zoned women in the past. Bad habit to get into. Now for any future situations like this, rejection and no contact.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,080 times
I was just accused of this recently, and it blew my mind because I wasn't consciously aware I was doing it...but I absolutely was.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
Rare, but yes.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:27 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
I don't think it's rare but I do think it's usually situational.

You're a guy, and you're already IN a relationship. You, as a couple, meet another couple, or you meet one of your guy friends' girlfriends, who is maybe hot, and nice, and fun to hang out with....but you're not gonna go after your buddy's woman, and/or you are happy, faithful, committed to your own. Sure the thought might run through your head about "what would it be like" but you stick her in the friend zone, tell yourself she's "your little sister" or something, and that's that.

Or a coworker, in an environment where trying to get her in bed would just be unthinkable (such as for instance the military and she is your superior or something)...just for whatever reason, you have very good reasons NOT to pursue this person, but you like her just fine. So she goes into your bucket of friendly acquaintances or friends.

Or maybe she is someone you know and enjoy talking to sometimes but she's just not attractive to you, like the guy who mentioned overweight women....though the criteria varies, not everyone is attracted to just anyone.

When I'm saying these things, I'm thinking of what my husband has told me about women he's known. He recently reconnected with a woman he knew from when he was in his early 20's. I know he was attracted to her, but he was married at the time and she was in a relationship, he placed himself firmly in the friend zone and didn't pursue her even when he had a chance. He calls her his "little sister." I've occasionally wondered, from the way he talks about her, if he shouldn't have married her all those years ago. *shrug*

Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't think it's rare but I do think it's usually situational.

You're a guy, and you're already IN a relationship. You, as a couple, meet another couple, or you meet one of your guy friends' girlfriends, who is maybe hot, and nice, and fun to hang out with....but you're not gonna go after your buddy's woman, and/or you are happy, faithful, committed to your own. Sure the thought might run through your head about "what would it be like" but you stick her in the friend zone, tell yourself she's "your little sister" or something, and that's that.

Or a coworker, in an environment where trying to get her in bed would just be unthinkable (such as for instance the military and she is your superior or something)...just for whatever reason, you have very good reasons NOT to pursue this person, but you like her just fine. So she goes into your bucket of friendly acquaintances or friends.

Or maybe she is someone you know and enjoy talking to sometimes but she's just not attractive to you, like the guy who mentioned overweight women....though the criteria varies, not everyone is attracted to just anyone.

When I'm saying these things, I'm thinking of what my husband has told me about women he's known. He recently reconnected with a woman he knew from when he was in his early 20's. I know he was attracted to her, but he was married at the time and she was in a relationship, he placed himself firmly in the friend zone and didn't pursue her even when he had a chance. He calls her his "little sister." I've occasionally wondered, from the way he talks about her, if he shouldn't have married her all those years ago. *shrug*
Good, but with the mindset of most men, it really just comes down to this:

Would I "tap that"? - yes = not friend zoned

Would I "tap that"? - no = friend zoned

Simple. Clear. And to the point.

Where it starts to get cloudy is when she has an attractive body and unattractive face. We'd definitely tap that, and possibly on a regular basis. But odds are long against have a "real" romantic relationship. This is why the term "buttaface" became popular. Ive had buttafaces that I friendzoned and some that I didnt friend zone. While they all had incredibly fit and sexy bodies, what determined if they were friend zone or not where other things like - smoker=friend zone; teeth so crooked it looked like she was growing antlers in her mouth = friend zone; Body a 10 but face is a 5 and we have things in common = not friend zoned.

So you can see, the body is really main determining factor on if we friend zone her or not. Not a big convoluted modeling case of who she is, who dated her, where she works, etc.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 04-06-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:06 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,950 times
Yes, I have "friend zoned" women, but that usually leads to just to ignoring them.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:07 PM

40 posts, read 24,924 times
Since men and women operate with different tactics and strategies in the dating world, the "friend zone" for a guy doesn't correlate exactly to a female.

The female version of the "friend zone" is the "FWB zone" where a guy will sleep with her but will not commit or make it official.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheFisherman View Post
Since men and women operate with different tactics and strategies in the dating world, the "friend zone" for a guy doesn't correlate exactly to a female.

The female version of the "friend zone" is the "FWB zone" where a guy will sleep with her but will not commit or make it official.
This was 1st thing I thought of. Men worry about being friend-zoned. Women will worry about being f-zoned lol

Happens to lots of girls that i've seen, usually younger ones. If a guy is attracted, he'll sleep with them. But they want more, and the guy doesn't. Now they try to work with him and get him to be serious with them. So far, I have yet to see it work, and someone ends up hurt, and both go their separate ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships