Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:58 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times

Advertisements

Depends on the person. I don't mind a random call or message every once in a while, but it can come off as needy and distracting during work hours.. Your gf has work plus 4 family members bugging her already, so I can understand not having time for idle chit chat.. If you want to connect w/ your lady, just send her loving thoughts ~ you don't need texts or technology to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Been together two years. She talks of marriage, I tell her not to that place yet because of a bunch of little issues, lack of communication being one of them. We both know what each other are looking for. We have discussed the no response to text/call thing and she dismisses it as no big deal. Really in the grand scheme of things, it is no big deal, but a response to a legitimate question about daily life would be nice. If I ask if she knows when she will be home for purposes of planning a meal or trying to be home at the same time, it would be nice to get an answer. Or to something like "how did you make out at the doctor?" when felling badly. It's not like I am sending texts or calling for stupid stuff or just for the sake of talking. I have better things to do with my time.
Now I can see your concern. 2 years with things like this is bothersome. When I heard "New", I would think a few months or something.

With the family, how often does she "see" them? Do they live far away? If that was the case, it can be understandable she'd spend lots of time calling and texting them because she doesn't see them often, unlike her SO who she can see every night. That'd be the last case I could make for her. Otherwise, seems like a yellow light. Proceed with caution.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
My wife has a busy career, so if I text her during the day, sometimes she replies and sometimes she doesn't. She just isn't available at times. Same with me. She's not one to be tethered to her phone, either. She sees a cell phone as a distraction so she's not the best texter. But she does reply, most of the time. For example, she took my car that has bald tires to work last week and I forgot to tell her to drive carefully because the roads were wet. I texted her and asked her to let me know when she got to the office. She never replied.

We've been together a long time though, so I know I'm a priority whether she replies quickly or never. I don't take it personally. Everyone is different and I suppose where you are in your relationship matters.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
I've been with enough people to know there are vastly different texting preferences and styles. It doesn't indicate anything in my opinion. But if this is a sticking point for you, you should go find someone else who responds to texts faster.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:05 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times
My ex and I used to email/text each other about 40x a day, but when we both got home, we barely talked to each other.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:09 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
But if this is a sticking point for you, you should go find someone else who responds to texts faster.
I agree, as she won't change.

Odd, though, that a relationship outside of junior high is being questioned because of the lack of text responses...

Old 04-15-2015, 12:19 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
If everything else is okay, I wouldn't put too much weight on that.

You really want to end a relationship because she doesn't text enough? You are either not very in love or there are lots of other issues.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:07 PM

971 posts, read 689,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If everything else is okay, I wouldn't put too much weight on that.

You really want to end a relationship because she doesn't text enough? You are either not very in love or there are lots of other issues.
Nowhere did i say i want to end a relationship because of this. If you would re-read what i wrote, i merely ask for thoughts and other experiences on the topic.

Last edited by elnina; 04-15-2015 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 PM

971 posts, read 689,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I agree, as she won't change.

Odd, though, that a relationship outside of junior high is being questioned because of the lack of text responses...
I am not questioning the relationship. I am questioning if it should bother me, does it happen to others and how do they deal with it. Geez. So if you sent a text to your SO and asked a question such as "do you still want to go the the beach this weekend, i need to know to ask off" and you got no answer it wouldn't bother you?

Old 04-15-2015, 02:25 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
In my last relationship I kept in touch with my girlfriend during the day via text. Because I work long days and hours vary, I always sent "on the way home" at night and sometimes we sent a couple one liners during the day just to say hello or pass a message. It was a two way street.

I am in a new relationship and the new girlfriend is not much of a communicator during the day....at least with me. If I send a "thinking about you" i get nothing. If I ask a question, I get an answer 25 percent of the time. She NEVER initiates a text to me. Her excuse for not texting/calling during the day is that she is too busy. BUT, she talks to her mother and three adult children and others via phone and text daily. I mentioned this fact and her excuse is "I see you at night" I don't need to talk to you during the day.

Do you talk to your significant other via text or phone during the day? Is it expecting too much to get a response to a text during the day? I gave up sending an "on the way home" text as I never got a response and I am considering just not texting at all or calling and going silent. I have never been in a relationship where we didn't talk to each other during the day. We both have jobs where we work alone out on the road and it's not like we don't have time to talk. Thoughts??
You sound insecure and needy. Like you need a constant reassurement that your relationship is OK.
Wait till the evening, when both of you have more time and less pressure.
You should expect immediate response only in an emergency situation.
Asking about plans for the weekend is not an emergency, and the response can wait till the evening or even next day.
When you text "on my way home" what kind of response you want? - "dinner in the oven?", "hurry up I am putting on my negligee?"
I would be bothered if my SO would act like you.

Last edited by elnina; 04-15-2015 at 02:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships