Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:22 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times

Advertisements

Every year, Laughlin NV. has "winter break week" for the senior set age 50 plus. A great place for older singles to meet. Oh 50 is the new 30 by the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
I like the idea of it'll happen when it happens so I don't have to fret about it. Still...it would be nice to know not so much the "when" as the "if." I'm not putting my life on hold, I have engaging pursuits, and I really do like my life.

Also I like the idea some have put forth that it'll happen when I least expect, when I'm not "looking for it" it will come to me. It's great to read all these posts, especially from people who have met their sweetheart on the 50-side of life.

I remember reading somewhere too ages ago, and it always stayed with me, that if it is time for me to be in a relationship I will know because the person will show up in my life. Even if someone is living in a cave at the top of a mountain, and they are supposed to be in a relaltionship, one day someone will come knocking on the rock door of the cave, and there they are. I love that!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 PM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,150 times
Do single snowbirds (retirees from the north who winter in the south) that migrated when they were a couple, still migrate after they are single/widowed/divorced, etc?

Old 01-17-2008, 04:44 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurgess View Post

THAT SAID: My friends tell me I'm hermit'ing, but really, I've been so busy, moving 3 times since 2003, dealing with school and logistical issues, etc. I'm 57 and I'm attractive, etc.....but I do no dating scene whatsoever, and sometimes I do feel it'd be nice to have someone MALE in my life...friend, companion more, whatever, but I my friends tell me I "don't put myself out there" (whatever that means).

I did have ONE date, but it was too early, maybe? No, I had two. Both were clones of my ex,which might have appealed to me at one time, but no more. One was arranged by a friend. It wasn't horrible, but it was just....fizzle. Not ready?

Maybe the job thing will lead to something. I've been married twice (but for my entire life until 2003); I met both my husbands at work (office mates, beware!)

Happy to read postings on this issue and contribute if I can. Hang in.....
I've been "hermiting" since 1991 - that is up until the last few months! My kids were babies when I divorced and I had a rare date. While I wasn't interested in a serious relationship, I often wonder if the perfect person had come along, if he would have been able to change my mind. I don't think so though - I was pretty focused on where I was those years.

I actually began to see a guy from my workplace a few months ago, but that I've been friends with for years. I could truly see myself with him forever. I don't think it's going to head in that direction unless he decides he's ready for more in his life too. However, I'm a nurse and 98% of our staff is female! So, don't see finding some long lost love of my life there! I wonder though if God knew I needed to slowly step back into a love life and therefore brought us together. He's a wonderful and respectful man. If I'd fallen for some jerk right off the bat, I'd be done forever with men!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:46 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Default Empathize

Quote:
I went through a hideous divorce in 2003. Just awful. I have 2 children, one commuting to college from home and another in HS. There were many $$ issues to sort out, still doing so, and I need to find a job, but have been out of the workforce for quite some time.

THAT SAID: My friends tell me I'm hermit'ing, but really, I've been so busy, moving 3 times since 2003, dealing with school and logistical issues, etc. I'm 57 and I'm attractive, etc.....but I do no dating scene whatsoever, and sometimes I do feel it'd be nice to have someone MALE in my life...friend, companion more, whatever, but I my friends tell me I "don't put myself out there" (whatever that means).

I did have ONE date, but it was too early, maybe? No, I had two. Both were clones of my ex,which might have appealed to me at one time, but no more. One was arranged by a friend. It wasn't horrible, but it was just....fizzle. Not ready?

I see women my age "dating"...do they have kids? I have no idea, I'll be ho nest with you, how to proceed. I haven't dated for (leave blank!) ...well, since before I was married (Jurassic Age).

I hear you re "God's plan", which is "comforting" (?) I guess.

I'm not exactly complaining, but it does get lonely out here and I was always a "guy person", got along with and worked with them, until the divorce, which I guess got me skittish.

I haven't a clue what I'm asking here, but I wanted to connect. Everyone seems to be hooked up, married, or I sense major baggage. One friend tells me I have an "invisible moat" around me which keeps men away.....I'm attractive, sort of a Barbie looking type, so what gives? Go to the supermarket on Saturday night? I know....take flying lessons, right?

It's good to connect, anyway. I was thinking a job might help. It's odd when you divorce, how the social thing drops away except for the girlfriends (whom I treasure). All my girlfiends are married, parents, etc.
The few single ones I know are childless and living a totally different lifestye.

Maybe the job thing will lead to something. I've been married twice (but for my entire life until 2003); I met both my husbands at work (office mates, beware!)

Happy to read postings on this issue and contribute if I can. Hang in.....

I know what you mean...what you REALLY REALLY mean!
Everyone is married, but everyone says not to be looking, don't worry about it, be happy being single.
Well,I can be happy being single, but I'd like a SO for many reasons.
I never met any single men at work. I still don't.
I never run into any single men.
A friend of mine who was single tried that dancing thing. She said they had so many women vs. men in the classes, they had to pair women up with other women just so they'd have a partner.
I don't think you have any invisible moat around you any more than me. I think it's odds and statistics, and I think the divorce statistics are skewed. Most adults are married, not divorced over 50.
I think, and this is from personal observation, a lot of the single men want to stay single and don't date. The "don't date" part I don't comprehend.
I don't think any of this is any god's plan.
I would hope there isn't any god trying to deprive me of basic needs.
I know what you mean about the social life too...my last single girlfriend got married a year ago.
Married people always make it like we are the problem, when they don't know what it is like to try to meet someone. "You're not looking in the right places." Yeah, I'm not looking, period, because if some guy wants to meet me, he will come up to me and do just that. There are no right places. In fact, when you have about 3 hours at the end of the day, the right place is doing the dishes and getting ready for work the next day.
Bookstores, social clubs (women), singles groups (women), church groups (women), and so forth.
The past five years have been struggling to get on my feet, another one most marrieds don't understand.
You're not alone!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:20 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I know what you mean...what you REALLY REALLY mean!
Everyone is married, but everyone says not to be looking, don't worry about it, be happy being single.
Well,I can be happy being single, but I'd like a SO for many reasons.
I never met any single men at work. I still don't.
I never run into any single men.
A friend of mine who was single tried that dancing thing. She said they had so many women vs. men in the classes, they had to pair women up with other women just so they'd have a partner.
I don't think you have any invisible moat around you any more than me. I think it's odds and statistics, and I think the divorce statistics are skewed. Most adults are married, not divorced over 50.
I think, and this is from personal observation, a lot of the single men want to stay single and don't date. The "don't date" part I don't comprehend.
I don't think any of this is any god's plan.
I would hope there isn't any god trying to deprive me of basic needs.
I know what you mean about the social life too...my last single girlfriend got married a year ago.
Married people always make it like we are the problem, when they don't know what it is like to try to meet someone. "You're not looking in the right places." Yeah, I'm not looking, period, because if some guy wants to meet me, he will come up to me and do just that. There are no right places. In fact, when you have about 3 hours at the end of the day, the right place is doing the dishes and getting ready for work the next day.
Bookstores, social clubs (women), singles groups (women), church groups (women), and so forth.
The past five years have been struggling to get on my feet, another one most marrieds don't understand.
You're not alone!

Now, now, don't go dissing us married folk. Remember - before we were married, we were single too!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times
I haven't forgotten about you guys! I got involved in the single mother thing....some of you know the drill.

I felt so validated by everyone's posts -- at the same time it was sad to know we're all going through the same things in our lives. I think we could all be supportive of each other, and I hope I can contribute.

Have the homework/dinner thing to do right now, but I wanted everyone to know, I've read all the wonderful posts. Thanks so much for sharing, as they say.....but I mean it.

One thing I was thinking (duh, why not before?) -- so many of the divorced "50 plus" men are "starting over" with younger women. I'm not talking about celebrities here (plenty), I"m talking about what I see....so many divorced women haven't had but two dates in five years, and their ex's have started over....in some cases, starting a new family. This isn't new, but it's a problem for us, don't you think? Bottom line, I see men in the 40 to 50 plus range almost exclusively dating younger women....getting married, too.

Weekly visitation is not the same as raising children as a single mother either. It's hard to "put yourself out there" (you're right, advice from married friends....) when you are starting over $$ wise and raising children.

Let's all keep the faith. I'll post more tomorrow. Best to everyone here...

Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
solitude is preferable to bad company.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
solitude is preferable to bad company.
You are so right.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
I haven't forgotten about you guys! I got involved in the single mother thing....some of you know the drill.

I felt so validated by everyone's posts -- at the same time it was sad to know we're all going through the same things in our lives. I think we could all be supportive of each other, and I hope I can contribute.

Have the homework/dinner thing to do right now, but I wanted everyone to know, I've read all the wonderful posts. Thanks so much for sharing, as they say.....but I mean it.

One thing I was thinking (duh, why not before?) -- so many of the divorced "50 plus" men are "starting over" with younger women. I'm not talking about celebrities here (plenty), I"m talking about what I see....so many divorced women haven't had but two dates in five years, and their ex's have started over....in some cases, starting a new family. This isn't new, but it's a problem for us, don't you think? Bottom line, I see men in the 40 to 50 plus range almost exclusively dating younger women....getting married, too.

Weekly visitation is not the same as raising children as a single mother either. It's hard to "put yourself out there" (you're right, advice from married friends....) when you are starting over $$ wise and raising children.

Let's all keep the faith. I'll post more tomorrow. Best to everyone here...
Yanno, you all made me realize something....

There is no amount of money or things, that can replace all that time you young ladies are having with your children right now...yes, homework, laundry, full time job....but believe me...raising children can be the most rewarding, postive thing you will ever experience. There is no man on
God's green earth that can give you that spiritual feeling of success, of great accomplishment, then being a mother.

The longer your alone, the more you wish to be alone.

I don't have much by any means...really made some bad choices in my life and started over several times....but cha know what....I dont' care...what I have is my health for now...I can work, and I can survive, we all surely know that...so, why not sit back and enjoy what we have in our lives right now, this very moment...b/c those kids will grow up and possibly leave....so relish and savor the moments you have now....and don't be sad you don't have a man in your life right now...first and foremost are those kids, and your happiness...and the only person who can make you happy, is YOU!

I'm sendin ya'll big smiles, cuz I can only now, sit back and imagine your lives with your children....one of the very best parts of my life.

Hugs to ya'll...
Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships