Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times

Advertisements

Okay, guys, I've been away from the thread....but somehow reading all of yours is motivating me.....

Took a small plunge. DO NOT LAUGH. I live in a major city and our "church" is huge. I am going to take the first step toward non-"hermit'ing"; I am going to a "social dining" thing Friday night.....I have not been to anything ALONE so far, period, since the deevorce.

This is not to find "a guy"....I understand it's mostly women (no surprise), but most of them are over 45, so that's good for me.....watch them all be 70......but that's okay, I could use a surrogate mother advisor since my mom passed....if all I get out of this is a chance to talk to some sane adults whom I figure I can trust....it's progress. They also occasionally go to movies and/or plays and get together afterwards at someone's place to talk....does this sound hokey or a good start???

Also looking much more seriously into the job thing.........we're looking at the classic "re-entering the work force" thing here...what a euphemism, huh.

Keep me posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
My cousins came over for dinner....they told me of a very good friend of theirs...an 80 year old woman, a few years back, had met a man on a cruise. They continued to have a relationship, even though they lived far apart. She had been a very independent woman for many years....
They continued to meet up on cruises, and took turns meeting at each other's homes.

One evening....she was in the kitchen, finishing up the dishes...and she heard this voice call to her...."Honey, I could sure use a cup of coffee" LOL, she stopped dead in her tracks...

for those of you, who have been mothers to their husbands and recieved nothing back in return, I'm certain, you will appreciate and smile at this little ditty, I sure did.......needless to say, she is not in any hurry to tie the knot...she's perfectly happy with the way things are.....Nuff said. LOL

Hugs to ya'll
Creme

Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurgess View Post
Okay, guys, I've been away from the thread....but somehow reading all of yours is motivating me.....

Took a small plunge. DO NOT LAUGH. I live in a major city and our "church" is huge. I am going to take the first step toward non-"hermit'ing"; I am going to a "social dining" thing Friday night.....I have not been to anything ALONE so far, period, since the deevorce.

This is not to find "a guy"....I understand it's mostly women (no surprise), but most of them are over 45, so that's good for me.....watch them all be 70......but that's okay, I could use a surrogate mother advisor since my mom passed....if all I get out of this is a chance to talk to some sane adults whom I figure I can trust....it's progress. They also occasionally go to movies and/or plays and get together afterwards at someone's place to talk....does this sound hokey or a good start???

Also looking much more seriously into the job thing.........we're looking at the classic "re-entering the work force" thing here...what a euphemism, huh.

Keep me posted!
No laughing here! I think it's great you are going to go out and meet people and have fun. You don't have to be "on the prowl" for a man. Just the simple process of getting out, meeting people and doing things you enjoy doing will put you in the path of many potential dates. I sincerely hope you have a blast!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No laughing here! I think it's great you are going to go out and meet people and have fun. You don't have to be "on the prowl" for a man. Just the simple process of getting out, meeting people and doing things you enjoy doing will put you in the path of many potential dates. I sincerely hope you have a blast!!!
I second that motion....

Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times
Thanks, guys! I need the encouragement (as you can see.....).

I'm off into the urban wilderness to run errands.....at least the sun is bright, even though it's about 15 degrees......

I SO get it with "mothering a husband". THEN they resent you for it, am I right? But that's probably another thread.....

Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My cousins came over for dinner....they told me of a very good friend of theirs...an 80 year old woman, a few years back, had met a man on a cruise. They continued to have a relationship, even though they lived far apart. She had been a very independent woman for many years....
They continued to meet up on cruises, and took turns meeting at each other's homes.

One evening....she was in the kitchen, finishing up the dishes...and she heard this voice call to her...."Honey, I could sure use a cup of coffee" LOL, she stopped dead in her tracks...

for those of you, who have been mothers to their husbands and recieved nothing back in return, I'm certain, you will appreciate and smile at this little ditty, I sure did.......needless to say, she is not in any hurry to tie the knot...she's perfectly happy with the way things are.....Nuff said. LOL

Hugs to ya'll
Creme
Too funny! I'd smile and in a very syrupy sweet voice say "well then, I guess you better get up and fix yourself some coffee then, dear."

Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM

188 posts, read 474,727 times
Default Online dating

Quote:
I don't know anyone who did this first hand. This really worked? Wow.

That is how my wife and I met. We are both over 50, and were so when we met.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:42 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
somehow reading all of yours is motivating me.....

Took a small plunge. DO NOT LAUGH. I am going to a "social dining" thing Friday night.....I have not been to anything ALONE so far, period, since the deevorce.....does this sound hokey or a good start???

Keep me posted!
GOOD FOR YOU! Rock on SBurgess. I tell myself even if everything falls flat on its face, it will make a great story. And I always give myself MAJOR points for just getting out there and doing life.

And as for the re-entering work force (not to get off topic) i re-entered what to me was very late (age 45 after 20 years without working full time) and though it was terrifying, I quickly acclimated (had to, that or go broke, great motivator not to be a bag lady LOL) and it did wonders for my poise, self-confidence and ease in the world. This current job my supervisor actually is THRILLED at my "maturity" and she says over and over she wishes she had more mature people on her staff like me. Granted that is an allusion to my age, and I am a whole lot older than many people at this humble rung on the ladder, but it's also a valuable asset to have recognized, you have skills you don't even realize.

You go girl!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:43 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker View Post
We are both over 50, and were so when we met.
Now that's what I'm talking about! (And wishing for too!)

Old 01-21-2008, 02:18 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
I forgot to mention that this guy is new in town, October, maybe.
OK.
so we're off today (state holiday for MLK) and I went for my 3 mile run/walk and then to the in-town coffee place to 1) get coffee and 2)find out if they have wireless, as I teach online and the little dears get upset when I don't respond immediately! Guess who looks a mess..... Guess who I run into..... Guess who's not alone..... ***sigh***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships