Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,773,559 times

Advertisements

My early 30 something co-worker made a comment about how women in a marriage should also bring home a paycheck rather than sit home as a housewife. He believes in equality.

So I ask him who takes care of the baby and house while you're here at work.

He replied she does during the day and goes out to work at around 1am at a hospital.

So then I said "that doesn't sound right, you work 9-6 then comes home and expects dinner made and then your wife also has to work late at night. Then what is your job other than a paycheck?"

He said he takes care of the baby at night until his wife returns home in the morning.

Then I ask "So, does your wife have any time to sleep?"

He said "Sure she does, all day until he gets home."

Then "What about house work like cleaning, and the baby is up during the day, how can she get any sleep."

He says his wife can manage and she makes less than he does.

I say to myself, this doesn't sound like equality at all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 03:06 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,365,851 times
If that's the way their marriage works and both parties are fine, as in happy with it, who the hell are we to judge? One thing we often do is project our definition of marriage, equality etc on others. The dude could be mouthing off for all you know...just thank your stars you're not married to him, and keep it moving.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:38 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,032,722 times
I would stay out of their marriage. If it works for them, let them do what they do.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,638,442 times
I would stay out of their marriage. If it works for them, let them do what they do

Amen to that. have been in similar situation with wife and we both shared all duties. If it works for them, so be it....

Old 04-20-2015, 10:04 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,228,919 times
No, it doesn't sound equal, to me. There are all kinds of "equal" including one person making the money and the other taking care of the house and kids.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:04 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,003,728 times
That doesn't sound like equality to me, either, but luckily I am not married to that guy. I wouldn't say anything about it to him though, he isn't interested in your opinion, only in spouting his own.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:23 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,680,984 times
Unfortunately, many people equate "equality" with "monetary contribution to the family." Equality is so much more than a dollar sign -- it's the ability to have an equal say in the running of the household, in the spending of the household income, in the investments of the family, in the financial goals of the family, as well as respect and consideration for the talents and skills that both parties bring to the table.

I daresay your co-worker was probably defensive while you were grilling him on "equality" -- but maybe you gave him food for thought. Change doesn't come instantly, sometimes you have to plant seeds. :-)

Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 AM

15,820 posts, read 20,604,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My early 30 something co-worker made a comment about how women in a marriage should also bring home a paycheck rather than sit home as a housewife. He believes in equality.

He replied she does during the day and goes out to work at around 1am at a hospital.

So then I said "that doesn't sound right, you work 9-6 then comes home and expects dinner made and then your wife also has to work late at night. Then what is your job other than a paycheck?"

He said he takes care of the baby at night until his wife returns home in the morning.

Then "What about house work like cleaning, and the baby is up during the day, how can she get any sleep."

I'd stay out of it. Their setup could be working perfectly for them.

What about asking....

"Who shovels the snow outside when 24" of snow falls? (if applicable)"
"Who maintains the vehicles?"
"Who does yard work? Or home improvements?"
"If the hot water heater breaks, who handles that?"

I prefer to look at my relationship as "teamwork". We both contribute to the household in terms of finances, decisionmaking, and assisting each other with various tasks. But, i'm not going to kid myself here. I'm a terrible cook. My girl handles that. But, at the same time...when we get 36" of snow from a Blizzard...I know that snowblowing is all my responsibility. So while we might not share equal roles in all the household tasks, we still work together to create a great home together. That works for us, and frankly she tells me she's rather cook dinner than snowblow snow, or help me mow the grass, or fix the brakes on her car.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-20-2015 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 10:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,455,206 times
Quote:

And then move on with your life. It's none of your business.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
Quote:

Your friend is an idiot. I wouldn't expect that marriage to last very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships