Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:24 PM

12 posts, read 15,455 times

Advertisements

I know this is a bit narcissistic and I'm sorry for that, but I've been struggling with self esteem issues lately and I've been trying to reassess myself and my past. What if I told you these things actually happened in my life:

- Girl sitting with her boyfriend in high school classroom stared at me for about ten minutes without breaking her gaze.
- Girl I never met prior followed me home on the bus after we briefly conversed.
- Former girlfriend was visibly shaking when I met her for just the second time (she actually sought me out after meeting me once prior).
- Three girls I never met before picked me up at a bus stop and gave me a ride to my girlfriend's house.
- Girlfriend's mom allowed me to stay at her apartment for free until I broke up with her daughter.
- Girl I never met before working at greyhound bus depot asked me to marry her.
- Girl that I had briefly met once prior asked me out on a date at a mission right in the food line (note that I was actually one of the homeless being served at the time) while she was volunteering.

All these things happened to me, not in a short span of time but over a period of about three decades. What would your first impression be of me even without seeing me after hearing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:29 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,413,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seany85 View Post
I know this is a bit narcissistic and I'm sorry for that, but I've been struggling with self esteem issues lately and I've been trying to reassess myself and my past. What if I told you these things actually happened in my life:

- Girl sitting with her boyfriend in high school classroom stared at me for about ten minutes without breaking her gaze.
- Girl I never met prior followed me home on the bus after we briefly conversed.
- Former girlfriend was visibly shaking when I met her for just the second time (she actually sought me out after meeting me once prior).
- Three girls I never met before picked me up at a bus stop and gave me a ride to my girlfriend's house.
- Girlfriend's mom allowed me to stay at her apartment for free until I broke up with her daughter.
- Girl that I had briefly met once prior asked me out on a date at a mission right in the food line (note that I was actually one of the homeless being served at the time) while she was volunteering.

All these things happened to me, not in a short span of time but over a period of about three decades. What would your first impression be of me even without seeing me after hearing this?
You have too much time on your hands.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:20 AM

22,720 posts, read 47,958,354 times
Quote:

That you are still hung up on things that happened up to thirty years ago.
Someone in their early 40s should not be keeping score like that....

Old 04-30-2015, 06:36 AM

48,636 posts, read 35,115,494 times
Your in your 30s and remember all this stuff? Why?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-30-2015, 06:38 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,404,521 times
A girl looked at you 20 years ago? Congrats, you're the man.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,127,524 times
Quote:

That there is something off with you for thinking about such things and deciding to post these "who gives a sheet" anecdotes on a anonymous forum.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 AM

733 posts, read 858,177 times
Don't be mean to the OP (Until ya have a good reason to be mean . Then go get 'em).

I'm not sure if you are having a sense of low self esteem, or if you are thinking highly of yourself now, because of your glory days.

I would say that when these past things happened to you, you must have been both attractive and, if you like people liking you for your looks, then lucky, I guess.

When people who were extremely attractive age, it can be a letdown. It can be confusing, and can cause esteem issues. If the attention was all because of extraordinary beauty or handsomeness, then when that is gone, you can be left drifting.

You can't recapture your past triumphs, but you can work on valuing worthy traits in yourself and others. If you cling to the shallow, you will not grow and advance. Best to just move on from your past, because you can't hang onto it, anyway.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,127,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Don't be mean to the OP (Until ya have a good reason to be mean . Then go get 'em).

I'm not sure if you are having a sense of low self esteem, or if you are thinking highly of yourself now, because of your glory days.

I would say that when these past things happened to you, you must have been both attractive and, if you like people liking you for your looks, then lucky, I guess.

When people who were extremely attractive age, it can be a letdown. It can be confusing, and can cause esteem issues. If the attention was all because of extraordinary beauty or handsomeness, then when that is gone, you can be left drifting.

You can't recapture your past triumphs, but you can work on valuing worthy traits in yourself and others. If you cling to the shallow, you will not grow and advance. Best to just move on from your past, because you can't hang onto it, anyway.

Those are his glory days?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 AM

387 posts, read 591,178 times
do you have dollar bills hanging or falling out of your pockets?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:46 AM

708 posts, read 826,829 times
Quote:

My first impression would be that like many, you fell into the trap of external validation, particularly via the opposite gender. I note that the number of times you specifically validated your self through females was about ten times or more.

Basing self worth through how others see or act towards us is unwise. I think that feeling positive from another persons appreciation is perfectly healthy but it sounds like you took that a step further and it is very common with men but with both genders to some extent. Once you learn to understand and appreciate yourself, none of that matters, it is just something you appreciate and move on, the same would be if you had no attention or negative responses from them girl too.

Once you truly appreciate yourself, whether you get attention from the opposite gender or from others in general barely matters, if at all. That's my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships