Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:13 PM

116 posts, read 180,817 times

Advertisements

It's guys that I don't know that well, and guys that know me very well that always refer to me as "my girl". For instance, I met this guy at a bar, we were talking for only about two hours, then his friend comes in and he's talking to him, and then he turns to me and says "This is my girl."

Then a couple of my guy friends did the same thing. I was talking to a guy, and then my guy friend comes up, and hugs me, and says "This is my girl, dude!" Some guys that don't know me well say it too. It's awkward to me lol, I don't understand how they feel comfortable saying "my girl", when I am not anyone's girl! I thought that was only a girlfriend reference? I don't refer to any guys as "my boy". I don't get how guys feel comfortable saying "my girl" to someone they hardly know, or to someone they do know, but are just friends, and never dated. So why is that? Do guys feel more comfortable saying "My girl", instead of "My friend"? Is it a way of flirting? What do you think? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:21 PM

8,925 posts, read 7,755,770 times
I think you are looking too far into it or you like the attention one.

It doesn't mean anything significant.

Relax.

If it really bothers you...tell them to stop. Simple.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,681,637 times
It's a blue collar working class thing, not a put-down, not sexist. If you pay attention you will hear the same men refer to their male buddies as "the boys."

Old 04-28-2015, 04:51 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarOpposite View Post
It's guys that I don't know that well, and guys that know me very well that always refer to me as "my girl". For instance, I met this guy at a bar, we were talking for only about two hours, then his friend comes in and he's talking to him, and then he turns to me and says "This is my girl."

Then a couple of my guy friends did the same thing. I was talking to a guy, and then my guy friend comes up, and hugs me, and says "This is my girl, dude!" Some guys that don't know me well say it too. It's awkward to me lol, I don't understand how they feel comfortable saying "my girl", when I am not anyone's girl! I thought that was only a girlfriend reference? I don't refer to any guys as "my boy". I don't get how guys feel comfortable saying "my girl" to someone they hardly know, or to someone they do know, but are just friends, and never dated. So why is that? Do guys feel more comfortable saying "My girl", instead of "My friend"? Is it a way of flirting? What do you think? Thank you.
The ones that you know well, you should tell them you're not their girl, and ask them to stop. Because they could be ruining a good prospect for you. Are they kidding when they say it, or what do they mean by it, exactly? Some guys c*ck-block other guys, even if they're not involved with you, almost like a weird "turf" instinct that spontaneously surfaces. The problem with that is it wrecks the rare chance you might have with someone you might have been interested in. You need to put a stop to this, and find out why they do it. As for the guys who don't know you well, just say, "I only just met you. How am I your girl?" That should get the message across to everyone involved.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,423,283 times
It's them putting an unofficial "claim" on you. They are telling the other guy to back off.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It's them putting an unofficial "claim" on you. They are telling the other guy to back off.
True, but the question is, why? None of these guys is involved with her. Some are friends, others are strangers she only just met an hour or two prior. Why would a platonic friend have the need to mark his turf when they're just friends? Is this an instinctive response when another male shows up, or does it mean these "friends" are secretly into her?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:05 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,003,787 times
Quote:
This is incorrect.

They are saying "this is my girl" such as saying you are cool. I haven't heard the expression in a while ... but that's what it means. It was quite common when I was in high school.

Think of the movie Old School " You're my boy blue!!"

Same exact thing. No one is putting a claim on anybody..

Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,544,067 times
Quote:
This. Its pretty eff'd up imo.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
This is incorrect.

They are saying "this is my girl" such as saying you are cool. I haven't heard the expression in a while ... but that's what it means. It was quite common when I was in high school.

Think of the movie Old School " You're my boy blue!!"

Same exact thing. No one is putting a claim on anybody..
Its the same thing as a woman who comes up to a guy and hugs him a long time in front of another woman. She might even say...this is my boy. It's staking her "claim" and is an old technique.

Friends do this too. If someone sees their friend being buddy buddy with someone else, they go stake their friendship claim.

It can indicate romantic interest, friendly interest, be their ego stroke, etc...

People get jealous in platonic and romantic ways all the time.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarOpposite View Post

This guy was into you. He's telling his friend that he can't flirt with you.pretty clear intention here.

Then a couple of my guy friends did the same thing. I was talking to a guy, and then my guy friend comes up, and hugs me, and says "This is my girl, dude!"

Again, this guy was probably into you. It might just be a friend thing. It could go either way.

Some guys that don't know me well say it too. It's awkward to me lol, I don't understand how they feel comfortable saying "my girl", when I am not anyone's girl! I thought that was only a girlfriend reference? I don't refer to any guys as "my boy". I don't get how guys feel comfortable saying "my girl" to someone they hardly know, or to someone they do know, but are just friends, and never dated. So why is that? Do guys feel more comfortable saying "My girl", instead of "My friend"? Is it a way of flirting? What do you think? Thank you.
It can be flirting or a way to string along someone without much effort and keeping someone in the background just in case. Guys used to do this all the time and they will continue to do this. They just use different words.it may be a friendship thing too. It's hard to know.however if you don't know them, they are trying to keep you to themselves for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships