Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 06:03 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
This is incorrect.

They are saying "this is my girl" such as saying you are cool. I haven't heard the expression in a while ... but that's what it means. It was quite common when I was in high school.

Think of the movie Old School " You're my boy blue!!"

Same exact thing. No one is putting a claim on anybody..
They don't do it to a stranger in a bar. They were very close with Blue in the movie.

A guy puts his arm across your shoulders when another guy comes up...claim staking.

A guy hugs you out of the blue and its not a greeting or goodbye...indicates interest.

guy hovering around you and pouncing if another guy approaches... Interested!

(The reverse is true if it's a woman doing the above.)

If it's someone you know, it can go either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:28 AM

116 posts, read 179,785 times
Thanks everyone for commenting! I didn't know it was a term for endearment, so thanks for informing me on that. Yeah, some of my guy friends like to c-block, but I don't get why it is so comfortable to say "My girl", cause it seems so girlfriend-ish lol. It seems like something you would say to your girlfriend. Especially the guys that barely know me, and say "my girl" is awkward too lol.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,344,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Its the same thing as a woman who comes up to a guy and hugs him a long time in front of another woman. She might even say...this is my boy. It's staking her "claim" and is an old technique.

Friends do this too. If someone sees their friend being buddy buddy with someone else, they go stake their friendship claim.

It can indicate romantic interest, friendly interest, be their ego stroke, etc...

People get jealous in platonic and romantic ways all the time.
I've had that happen to me, she was much older and she kept looking in my eyes, it was actually awkward... at first.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:04 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarOpposite View Post
Thanks everyone for commenting! I didn't know it was a term for endearment, so thanks for informing me on that. Yeah, some of my guy friends like to c-block, but I don't get why it is so comfortable to say "My girl", cause it seems so girlfriend-ish lol. It seems like something you would say to your girlfriend. Especially the guys that barely know me, and say "my girl" is awkward too lol.
Yes, it is a term of endearment depending on where you are from and cultural background. I sometimes introduce a female friend as "ole girl" instead of using her name.

But I tell you what though, being in California I have noticed that a lot of men tend to be a bit of grabby with their women. They hang on to them for dear life when passing by another man as if the other man is going to steal her. There is some high sense of insecurity in southern California by many men when around their women.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:08 AM

58 posts, read 68,606 times
because they think or you make them think you are their girl?

Old 05-01-2015, 06:52 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarOpposite View Post
It's guys that I don't know that well, and guys that know me very well that always refer to me as "my girl". For instance, I met this guy at a bar, we were talking for only about two hours, then his friend comes in and he's talking to him, and then he turns to me and says "This is my girl."

Then a couple of my guy friends did the same thing. I was talking to a guy, and then my guy friend comes up, and hugs me, and says "This is my girl, dude!" Some guys that don't know me well say it too. It's awkward to me lol, I don't understand how they feel comfortable saying "my girl", when I am not anyone's girl! I thought that was only a girlfriend reference? I don't refer to any guys as "my boy". I don't get how guys feel comfortable saying "my girl" to someone they hardly know, or to someone they do know, but are just friends, and never dated. So why is that? Do guys feel more comfortable saying "My girl", instead of "My friend"? Is it a way of flirting? What do you think? Thank you.
"My Girl" ew is a way of marking territory. Every time I hear them say it, I think of a dog taking a whiz when he's out and about just whizzing his way all along the public concrete, whizzing everywhere not stop and when there's not much to whiz.. whiz.. whiz.. whiz!

I personally get really irritated. What is this some underground meat market? How was I so uninformed?? And, I do have a right to choose ya sleeze.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:01 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,000 times
Are you old? "My girl" usually just means "my friend" same as how I'd refer to my male friend as "my boy" and it wouldn't mean we dated each other. I would guess you're at least 50 and live in a very white community if you're not familiar with such basic slang.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:09 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
If you are that uncomfortable with it then tell them to stop or when someone says this correct them immediately and say
something like "I'm not your girlfriend, we just met" or "I'm not your girl, we are just friends".

Otherwise you have no complaints if you do not correct the situation immediately.

After that you should probably stay out of bars, off of social media and quit analyzing every single word a male says to you.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Are you old? "My girl" usually just means "my friend" same as how I'd refer to my male friend as "my boy" and it wouldn't mean we dated each other. I would guess you're at least 50 and live in a very white community if you're not familiar with such basic slang.

The original poster is not 50 and those who are over the age of 12 do not use "basic slang" if they have matured along with their chronological age.

I would guess the original poster is about the same age as you if you are not 50.

PS ~~ Race has absolutely nothing to do with this topic so why mention it?

Old 05-02-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
They don't do it to a stranger in a bar. They were very close with Blue in the movie.

A guy puts his arm across your shoulders when another guy comes up...claim staking.

A guy hugs you out of the blue and its not a greeting or goodbye...indicates interest.

guy hovering around you and pouncing if another guy approaches... Interested!

(The reverse is true if it's a woman doing the above.)

If it's someone you know, it can go either way.
Are there any single people out there who do not play these silly games when looking for a date or relationship?

Cripes, it is tiring just reading all of this nonsense at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships