Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:13 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugosvoice View Post
Why does that always have to be the case? In the 12 years we've been together I have had countless men come on to me. I never went seeking anyone else and in fact would HATE to be in another relationship/fling/anything for a long time. I NEED some me time.

And why was my age mentioned with regard to the tattoos? What does that matter?

I apologise if my reply sounds defensive, I am just at my wits end with people assuming they know what I’m thinking or why I’m doing what I’m doing or that one should be a certain person doing certain things (or not doing them in the tattoo case?) at a certain age. Why?

I am looking for advice. If there was someone else I would have said, so the advice given could be more helpful as you’d have been given all the facts. Leaving crucial parts out isn't going to help me.

Honestly speaking, being 33 years old.. wanting more tattoos and having dreams of just living in random parts of the world seems a little odd.

As of now, you're working as a receptionist... while there's nothing wrong with it it isn't exactly a highly skilled job.

How are you planning on making enough money to sustain yourself living around the world? You realize you can't work when you're not in Australia, right?

It just kind of sounds childish. I can understand we all have dreams, but come on... you're making under 3k a month and hoping to live the lifestyle of someone who grew up in the family of a multi-millionaire. Sure, people live the "nomad" lifestyle.. but they're also in their early 20s. That's the time to do it.. not when you're already 33 years old.

Instead of hoping on pipe dreams, try advancing your career to make more money. Get set up with investments. Start some projects so you can afford to actually do these things.

If you're going to get a divorce... realize after about a year that you still don't have enough money to do the things you want to do and probably wind up looking for a new guy who will give you "security".

If you hate your relationship.. end it. However, if you're with a good guy you better REALLY THINK ABOUT IT. Also realize, your ideas and dreams that you have now are going to be nearly impossible to reach at your current rate without the help of other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:16 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Minimum of $3,200 per month for the mortgage.

Wow, I knew Sydney was expensive but geez. Makes D.C. look like a bargain.
its quite ridiculous at the moment

Quote:
YEP. I pay exactly $1,612.61 as my half, each month. As a receptionist making around $2,800.00 a month, that doesn’t leave me with much left over, and what I do have all goes on bills. It's a miserable way to live. Well, exist. There's certainly no living going on.

I have tried to have some savings (for a holiday or something) but every time I put money aside I have to bring it back to pay some bills. I also don't have a licence and of course as a result never drive the car, but as his partner am obligated to pay all the car expenses too.
You should look at selling now, and moving a bit further out to something more affordable... You need to tell him that this isn't what you want to do, be paying off a mortgage for the rest of your life..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Gotta pay for the welfare nanny state.....

LOL, people forget that money comes from somewhere.... the taxes are pretty heavy in a lot of other parts of the world.....
lol... its nothing to do with a nanny state though. Its negative gearing, foreign investment and supply vs demand..... BUT an awesome city to live in

Old 05-17-2015, 11:19 PM

85 posts, read 62,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Honestly speaking, being 33 years old.. wanting more tattoos and having dreams of just living in random parts of the world seems a little odd.
Why? My mum didn't get her first tattoo until she was 45, now she has more than me!

Quote:
As of now, you're working as a receptionist... while there's nothing wrong with it it isn't exactly a highly skilled job.

How are you planning on making enough money to sustain yourself living around the world? You realize you can't work when you're not in Australia, right?
I think some of you may have misunderstood (my fault).

As I said above, I've no plans to leave Sydney. When I say travel the world I don't want to give up my job and live in a tent, going from place to place and selling paintings. My idea of a heavenly life is going somewhere different in the world every 6 months, if only for a week. <3

In terms of living elsewhere, perhaps that would be wonderful some day, but I'd have to make sure I was sure. That was much more of a realistic idea when I was 18-19.. maybe now I could do it for 3 months or so and my job would be held for me. I've been here a long time and my boss shares the same free spirited attitude I do. I'm sure he'd be more than supportive. In terms of work I wouldn't really care what I did. I have a bartender's licence and would be happy to mix drinks.

I'm not foolish when it comes to money. I have always been a saver and never owned a credit card. I don't just blow money and don't cover myself. I like feeling secure. But I like feeling free, too.

Quote:
Sure, people live the "nomad" lifestyle.. but they're also in their early 20s. That's the time to do it.. not when you're already 33 years old.
Again, why? Who's making these rules?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Why?

I think some of you may have misunderstood (my fault).

I have no plans to leave Australia for good. I want to keep my current job.

Again, why? Who's making these rules?

There are absolutely no rules how you live your life or what you do. The problem however, is that they have to be realistic. A secretary does not make enough money to allow herself to take off work 6 months to a year at a time to live in a new country. No matter how much you tell yourself that, it won't happen.

You're simply going to deplete any savings you might have, which will ruin you financially for the future.

I see this and just see a frustrated woman wanting to live out childhood dreams that are not possible.

Instead, try finding new skills in work. Make more money, set up investments and get money working for you. Talk to your husband and work out the kinks and get enough money to start traveling.

Again, I'm sorry .. but as much as you want it to be true... your ideas are highly unrealistic and you WILL find yourself unhappier unless you find some guy to support you financially.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
as much as you want it to be true... your ideas are highly unrealistic and you WILL find yourself unhappier unless you find some guy to support you financially.
Wow. So every person who has supported me up until now has been wrong? Holy cow.

Did you see my edited reply to your reply above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugosvoice
My idea of a heavenly life is going somewhere different in the world every 6 months, if only for a week. <3

Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvincline47 View Post
Are they being honest with you or are they telling you want you want to hear?
They're my family and closest friends so I would hope being honest!!!

Old 05-17-2015, 11:33 PM

Wow. I guess that’s it then. Dreams DON'T come true after all…

Old 05-17-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Wow. So every person who has supported me up until now has been wrong? Holy cow.

Did you see my edited reply to your reply above?

Well, if your family members supported what you said in your original post.. then yes I think they are very wrong.

Extended living outside of the country is a very different goal than traveling to a different country for a couple weeks every six months. I think if you wanted to do a trip to a foreign country for 2-3 weeks once a year.. that's very manageable with what you make. If you want more than that, you're going to have to change careers or find a way to make more money.

Remember, finding work outside of your own country is not likely. If you're going to travel to another country and bank your time on the funds you'll make working as a bartender .. you have close to 0% chance of making it.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
Quote:
Wow. I guess that’s it then. Dreams DON'T come true after all…
If it's any consolation, I can understand where you are coming from. Material things don't mean anything to me, I prefer spending my money going places and doing things. I'm curious has he always been this way? Have you told him how unhappy you are? Would it be possible to meet halfway?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:41 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
its quite ridiculous at the moment

You should look at selling now, and moving a bit further out to something more affordable... You need to tell him that this isn't what you want to do, be paying off a mortgage for the rest of your life..

lol... its nothing to do with a nanny state though. Its negative gearing, foreign investment and supply vs demand..... BUT an awesome city to live in
I agree! I've been there a few times and really liked it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships