Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
did it perhaps occur to you it might be free for all the fatties and not us blokes?
Set up a fake profile as a woman and see if you still get the offer to upgrade. That will answer your question for you. Even Match, which is a paid site, allows you to set up a profile for free. If you want to try to initiate contact with anyone, you can't unless you pay.

I have a profile on OKC. I have paid for the upgraded membership. And yes, as my name implies, I am a girl. Since paying for the upgrade allows me to search for men based on level of attractiveness, I now know that site still only sends you matches they think are on the same level of attractiveness as you are. Perhaps POF does the same thing.

Now, if POF does require you to pay to see who "likes" you or whatever their equivalent is, then from the sounds of it, it is something new that none of us on this site who have used the site before or are currently using it have encountered. It could also be that they have changed the site and those who had profiles already were "grandfathered" in and still have free accounts. Or it could be that you are just misunderstanding. Perhaps posting a screen shot of what you are seeing would help the rest of us better understand why it doesn't seem to be free for you to use the site when it always has been a free site for everyone else with some options available only if you upgrade to a paid subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Some men will truly contact every woman they find remotely attractive and not read the profiles.
Those can be fun to play with. I would say most of the messages I receive are men who didn't notice the part where I said "live near me." Last I checked, the eastern half of the country and Europe were nowhere near here. Hmmm....if I want to attract someone local, maybe I should change my zip code to somewhere in NY. Of course, pretty much all those messages also come with the nice, big red warning to avoid internet scams. (I'm moving up! I'm attracting the scammers this time when in my previous attempts at OLD I couldn't even attract them!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've had to wade through hundreds of "look at my ripped abs," "look at this fish I caught," "look at my dog," military haircuts, dudebros of sport ball, gun nuts and ZZ Top lookalikes, just to find a few nice freaks.
My understanding that the men of POF here are either holding fish or posing with their motorcycle, or professes Jesus as the #1 person in their life. I can't say for certain since I've never tried that site; friends of both genders have told me to stick with OKC since POF is a "cesspool."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure there's no "ladies' night at the bar" effect going on with OKC or POF or similar, where women get a better deal of free features than guys do.

And the poster talking about wading through "dogs" to find a few hotties...yeah, well. We ladies have to wade through heaps of unsuitable men to find any we'd be willing to give a shot, also. It's kind of part of the package. I would venture a guess that if anything there are more duds to "nope" your way past if you're female, than if you're male. I know that my "nope" factor list is pretty significant. And I know that some of the guys who have tried to talk to me have not been interested in basic compatibility, they're just happy I'm not a "dog"...

I mention that anyone who wants to talk about GWAR or go to a show with me, should contact me. I had one guy send me a message saying "You rock, GWAR is really good band!" And I go look at his profile and he says he likes Christian rock and country. I wanted to ask him whether he preferred the song about the preschooler, or the one about the amputee...?
I checked out the dudes just to see what the women were getting, and I don't disagree with you that it goes both ways - some of those d-uchebags....I just shake my head.

But at the end of the day...let's cut the crap....men are far more oriented towards attractive women than vice versa, amitrite?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
^this one guy put his body type as "athletic". When I met him in person, that was obviously a lie. Somehow his pictures didn't show his gut.. I think due to the angle and he always wore black. When I confronted him about it he said he has an athletic life style, he runs, jumps, play sports etc. Umm.. that's still not your body type dude.
So you just never called him again huh? lol

Old 05-23-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Since paying for the upgrade allows me to search for men based on level of attractiveness, I now know that site still only sends you matches they think are on the same level of attractiveness as you are. Perhaps POF does the same thing.
How do they decide those things out? By using random info such as height, weight, color?

Old 05-23-2015, 02:25 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
well, well, well. Aha! The truth is finally established. You know, there was no need for the condescending tone of the previous posters - as I suspected the site wasn't free afterall. I didn't say "kind of free" or "partially free" as is clearly the case. Now that we've established it isn't free, is it free for the women?
It IS free. The guys that I dated that I met there, NEVER paid a cent.

Do you have this much trouble with everything else in life? You can find out everything you need to know about the site if you bother to search for it. I found this in about 5 seconds:

Cost of Plenty of Fish::

Plentyoffish.com offers a two-tiered membership system. You can create a profile for free, which will allow you to use the search function, create a profile, participate in the forums, and email members. A premium membership, which costs between $5.95 a month (if you're paying for one year in advance) and $9.80 per month (if you're paying for three months at a time), is intended to allow your profile and messages to stand out to other members with a special gold star designation.

Pros of Plenty of Fish::

It's free!
Your free membership includes a 48-question "Plenty of Fish Relationship Chemistry Predictor" assessment
There isn't much difference between the free and paid options.

Cons of Plenty of Fish::

In order to upgrade to a paid membership, you must first pass a 25-question test designed to measure your relationship skills. However, based on the questions, it seems as though the real goal is to weed out unfavorable characteristics, such as being controlling or taking on a different persona online.

However, upgrading to the paid membership doesn't come with additional features. The main benefit of an upgrade is just having your profile and messages stand out with a gold star.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
did it perhaps occur to you it might be free for all the fatties and not us blokes?
I wouldn't know. I don't date fatties, nor do the men that I date.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It IS free. The guys that I dated that I met there, NEVER paid a cent.

Do you have this much trouble with everything else in life? You can find out everything you need to know about the site if you bother to search for it. I found this in about 5 seconds:

Cost of Plenty of Fish::

Plentyoffish.com offers a two-tiered membership system. You can create a profile for free, which will allow you to use the search function, create a profile, participate in the forums, and email members. A premium membership, which costs between $5.95 a month (if you're paying for one year in advance) and $9.80 per month (if you're paying for three months at a time), is intended to allow your profile and messages to stand out to other members with a special gold star designation.

Pros of Plenty of Fish::

It's free!
Your free membership includes a 48-question "Plenty of Fish Relationship Chemistry Predictor" assessment
There isn't much difference between the free and paid options.

Cons of Plenty of Fish::

In order to upgrade to a paid membership, you must first pass a 25-question test designed to measure your relationship skills. However, based on the questions, it seems as though the real goal is to weed out unfavorable characteristics, such as being controlling or taking on a different persona online.

However, upgrading to the paid membership doesn't come with additional features. The main benefit of an upgrade is just having your profile and messages stand out with a gold star.
This is total BS. I have six users that want to meet me and when I click that link, it explicitly gives me this runaround: "6 users want to meet you! Upgrade now to see who they are!"

I'm sorry to break it to you darling but your posts are a total fabrication - misinformation.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
This is total BS. I have six users that want to meet me and when I click that link, it explicitly gives me this runaround: "6 users want to meet you! Upgrade now to see who they are!"

I'm sorry to break it to you darling but your posts are a total fabrication - misinformation.
I don't "fabricate" dear. You are trying to use a feature that is a part of the paid-for tier of the site. I don't get how this is so difficult for you to understand.

I used POF for over a year, and know many others that have used it. None have ever paid a cent, and yet somehow, they managed to contact others on the site.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't "fabricate" dear. You are trying to use a feature that is a part of the paid-for tier of the site. I don't get how this is so difficult for you to understand.

I used POF for over a year, and know many others that have used it. None have ever paid a cent, and yet somehow, they managed to contact others on the site.
Yes, I edited my last post.

I did indicate (before I erased it) that in fact I have received and given messages to others, so in that you are correct.

I'd like to see who wants to meet me (9 users, as it stands tonight) and I can't. Can I "go around" that and find them?...maybe. These users aren't necessarily the ones who messaged me (four people, all of whom I have little desire to continue on with).

Old 05-23-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, I edited my last post.

I did indicate (before I erased it) that in fact I have received and given messages to others, so in that you are correct.

I'd like to see who wants to meet me (9 users, as it stands tonight) and I can't. Can I "go around" that and find them?...maybe. These users aren't necessarily the ones who messaged me (four people, all of whom I have little desire to continue on with).
So what? They offer this feature to entice people to join. It wouldn't appeal to me, and clearly it doesn't appeal to others, as tons of people use the site successfully without paying for that. I watch OTA television stations for free, and there is more than I can ever watch, available. I could pay for cable, which would give me additional options for programs, but I don't need it, so I don't pay for it.

Same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships