Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you guys still be upset in that situation?
Yes, I'll still be upset 9 18.37%
Nope, I'll let that one slide...it's exceptional 38 77.55%
Other 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:09 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
The fact that women can have babies and men can't doesn't give women license to batter their husbands during childbirth. An argument to the contrary is an argument in favor of gender inequality.
This is hilarious! Don't worry, Tex, nobody's declared open season on husbands during childbirth. It was a freak occurrence. Not worth getting your panties in a bunch.

No wonder some people think the OP was a troll post. *whew* jeez.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,705,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is hilarious! Don't worry, Tex, nobody's declared open season on husbands during childbirth. It was a freak occurrence. Not worth getting your panties in a bunch.

No wonder some people think the OP was a troll post. *whew* jeez.
Yeah, I have to agree. I wasn't saying women should be hitting men during childbirth... I am just saying I can completely relate to how something like a slap could happen during childbirth or any kind of lashing out when in pain. I think a wife would probably excuse a husband too if he was in the ER, in a lot of pain (passing a kidney stone or something) and he reached out and smacked her as well in the mists of a lot of pain. I don't think any reasonable person would call that "abuse" or call the police. Or no one would say a man is "Verbally abusive " if he smashed his hand with a hammer and started lashing out with a string of cusses while working on a home improvement project with his wife.

Not that I like to compare people to animals, but it's the same reason you don't hate your dog or put it down as "dangerous" if it nips you when it's injured and you pick it up to take it to the vet. It's just a reaction to pain. I'd say a slap is a lot like a nip.

Pain does something to the mind. Reasonable people understand that and make allowances for it.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:32 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A couple of posters showed outright hostility toward the husband, or toward men in general, in this thread.

While much has been made of this "freak occurrence," the gender inequality underlying the arguments of some of the woman's defenders is worth debating and exposing. And FWIW, I wear boxer briefs, not panties.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:51 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I don't think it's an "excuse"... but imagine being kicked in the balls every 5 minutes for 5 or 6 hours, then kicked in the balls every 2 minutes for 5 or 6 more hours, then every minute for a few more hours, culminating in having them clamped down on for another 15-60 minutes (give or take). That level of pain would push any man to the brink on insanity and cause him to react in ways that are completely and violently out of character, no?

(Sorry, guys)
If you'd been repeatedly kicked in the balls for that long, you wouldn't be able to move at all, you'd be too busy throwing up and occupying a small space on the ground just big enough to make a fetal position.

Bad example, though.

If I were being kicked in the balls repeatedly by SOMEONE ELSE and then decided to hit YOU for it, you'd be understandably miffed and upset that I hit you, would you not? Especially if it were in front of strangers trying to help me? Would you not feel embarassed and upset?

It's an excuse.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:03 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Here's what all of you guys on here fussing about this should do:

Stay out of the delivery room, period.

You're clearly not equipped for it. If a little slap is going to freak you out, there is no way in Hades you will be able to handle the blood, poop (yes, poop--many a mother craps all over her baby during pushing if there is no time for an enema beforehand), vomit, and episiotomy. If you are more concerned about yourself than you are your wife and new child, you have no business there and you're just going to be in the way. Not only that, but men like you may even make your wives and partners feel more pain, because you clearly lack the emotional intimacy with your partner to be appropriately supportive as she engages in an activity that may actually risk her life. This is one time in a woman's life when it's NOT ABOUT YOU. If you can't handle that, and you can't accept that you cannot control what goes on in a delivery room, stay out.

Dads in delivery room can make birth more painful: Study - Today's Parent

Then again, it appears to be mainly the guys who have no experience with this sort of thing, or any experience truly loving a woman and being a partner in her life, who are shrieking the loudest, and something tells me you will never have to worry about being in this position at all, anyway.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 AM

36,563 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Because many in this thread are advocating for gender inequality by excusing the woman's behavior citing childbirth as the reason why her behavior should be excused.

The fact that women can have babies and men can't doesn't give women license to batter their husbands during childbirth. An argument to the contrary is an argument in favor of gender inequality.
It is not gender inequality we are discussing. All are advocating that it is understandable and forgivable for one (male or female) in a situation of extreme pain and duress to lash out and strike. Labor and delivery are such situations. Women have said if their husband/SO whatever were in a similar situation, kidney stone for example and stuck them they would understand the context and excuse the primal reactions and even laugh about it later. NO where did anyone say it is alright for a woman to react this way out of pain and duress and not ok for a man to do so.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:56 AM

36,563 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Here's what all of you guys on here fussing about this should do:

Stay out of the delivery room, period.

You're clearly not equipped for it. If a little slap is going to freak you out, there is no way in Hades you will be able to handle the blood, poop (yes, poop--many a mother craps all over her baby during pushing if there is no time for an enema beforehand), vomit, and episiotomy. If you are more concerned about yourself than you are your wife and new child, you have no business there and you're just going to be in the way. Not only that, but men like you may even make your wives and partners feel more pain, because you clearly lack the emotional intimacy with your partner to be appropriately supportive as she engages in an activity that may actually risk her life. This is one time in a woman's life when it's NOT ABOUT YOU. If you can't handle that, and you can't accept that you cannot control what goes on in a delivery room, stay out.

Dads in delivery room can make birth more painful: Study - Today's Parent

Then again, it appears to be mainly the guys who have no experience with this sort of thing, or any experience truly loving a woman and being a partner in her life, who are shrieking the loudest, and something tells me you will never have to worry about being in this position at all, anyway.
Exactly, of the men I know every one was amazed and overjoyed to be a part of the birth of their child and were concerned only with the health and well being of their wife and child. If there was any cussing or slapping, etc. they didn't care about that and totally understood the situation.

Likewise of people I know who have been by the side of loved ones either in pain from accidents or medical emergencies, or elderly suffering from stroke or dementia have understood and taken with stride the lashing out physically and verbally from those people.

Those people with the attitude that this is some sort of gender inequality or domestic assault and direct attack on their fragile sensitivities which should result in the notification of authorities need to leave situations where empathy is required to more mature individuals.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It is not gender inequality we are discussing. All are advocating that it is understandable and forgivable for one (male or female) in a situation of extreme pain and duress to lash out and strike. Labor and delivery are such situations. Women have said if their husband/SO whatever were in a similar situation, kidney stone for example and stuck them they would understand the context and excuse the primal reactions and even laugh about it later. NO where did anyone say it is alright for a woman to react this way out of pain and duress and not ok for a man to do so.
Exactly.... Asking someone to still remain calm during that agonizing moment that's asking too much. I can imagine the added pain and stress if the person were to still confront their partner right away at the moment about it.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
I could give a **** about the original situation. I have 3 kids and although my ex was everything I sometimes think she was, she never slapped me during a delivery. If she had, I would have understood that it was out of character, and I'm pretty sure she would have apologized.

Aren't people responsible for their behavior? Don't reasonable people take actions to correct damage they've done, even if they're under duress when they do the damage? That doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
I still don't buy that this really happened. I think it was a troll post.

Women aren't going around beating up their husbands during the delivery of their babies. If it did happen, it was either in her character or out of character. ( some women do abuse their spouses)

If it was out of character, I am sure she would apologize. If it was in character then the Slap in the delivery room is the least of this guys problem.

Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.