Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:51 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,129 times

Advertisements

"Sour grapes" logic should be self-explanatory. Lots of people take rejection in a very personal way as well, my guess is it's because they have limited options for type of people they'd wish to have, thus they harass or attempt to shame people who obviously think there's some "red flag" (a popular term on this forum).

Are these types of people so much narcissist that they think just about everyone should like them? That practically everyone they meet or everyone towards whom they show interest should joyfully see it as some kind of great honor/divine sign and thus they aren't allowed to dislike anything about them or have some red flags that the "majesty" doesn't qualify for?

This thing really puzzles me a lot and I'd like to hear other people's opinions. You are free to give (your own) examples if you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 04:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Most people take rejection personally, more often than not. Most rejection IS personal. "I don't think YOU, PERSONALLY, are a good fit for this job," "I don't want to go out on a date with YOU, SPECIFICALLY," "I thought your writing wasn't good enough to publish," etc.

Feeling a personal sting of rejection doesn't necessarily mean they act out, have sour grapes, harass others, or are narcissistic.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:09 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Most people take rejection personally, more often than not. Most rejection IS personal. "I don't think YOU, PERSONALLY, are a good fit for this job," "I don't want to go out on a date with YOU, SPECIFICALLY," "I thought your writing wasn't good enough to publish," etc.

Feeling a personal sting of rejection doesn't necessarily mean they act out, have sour grapes, harass others, or are narcissistic.
Agreed with this. When someone is rejected, it's due to them personally, for whatever reason.

It's like how some girls want relationships. They meet a guy they like, hang out a bit, and he tells them he's not looking for anything serious. Sometimes it's true. Other times, what the guy leaves out is "with you." I am not looking to get serious "with you."

So, it's natural for rejection to hurt, and understandable that some are more sensitive to it. But not everyone is psychotic about it. Their feelings are just hurt, since they have been told they aren't good enough by someone they had interest it.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:39 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Agreed with this. When someone is rejected, it's due to them personally, for whatever reason.

It's like how some girls want relationships. They meet a guy they like, hang out a bit, and he tells them he's not looking for anything serious. Sometimes it's true. Other times, what the guy leaves out is "with you." I am not looking to get serious "with you."

So, it's natural for rejection to hurt, and understandable that some are more sensitive to it. But not everyone is psychotic about it. Their feelings are just hurt, since they have been told they aren't good enough by someone they had interest it.
"Other times, what the guy leaves out is "with you." I am not looking to get serious "with you."

Good point. I'm watching one of my coworkers do this. He's 36, over a divorce, nice, attractive, funny, and makes good money. He really is a good catch(when he is ready) but he's not even close to settling down yet, so he is constantly telling women "not looking for anything serious" and he says he never personalizes it so leaves off the "with you part".

Old 06-04-2015, 05:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Rejection is personal. I've been rejected for relationships or jobs. I just move on. I may have a fleeting ah man that would of been a good fit type of thought but that's as far as it goes. I don't dwell or stalk the other person or the situation. Ve turned diwn relationships or jobs. It just didn't work out for whatever reason. Move on with life

Old 06-04-2015, 06:32 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
"Sour grapes" logic should be self-explanatory. Lots of people take rejection in a very personal way as well, my guess is it's because they have limited options for type of people they'd wish to have, thus they harass or attempt to shame people who obviously think there's some "red flag" (a popular term on this forum).

Are these types of people so much narcissist that they think just about everyone should like them? That practically everyone they meet or everyone towards whom they show interest should joyfully see it as some kind of great honor/divine sign and thus they aren't allowed to dislike anything about them or have some red flags that the "majesty" doesn't qualify for?

This thing really puzzles me a lot and I'd like to hear other people's opinions. You are free to give (your own) examples if you wish.
Most people I know move on from being rejected. They bare no harsh feelings. It's usually the really really good looking ones who take to heart when they get rejected because they are so used to people throwing themselves at them, and when they get one single rejection? Oh yeah.. the narcissism shines through like an evil piece of turd set on fire. They get sooo angry!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:38 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Rejection is a fact of life. You will face all types: business, social, romantic

You can either learn to handle it in a healthy way or not. If you don't the only person you hurt is yourself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-04-2015, 06:41 PM

106 posts, read 87,810 times
No matter how you spin it rejection is personal. Nobody wants to be rejected.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 PM

106 posts, read 87,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Rejection is a fact of life. You will face all types: business, social, romantic

You can either learn to handle it in a healthy way or not. If you don't the only person you hurt is yourself.
Agreed. I have been rejected from jobs, women, and business. It stung but I got over it not everyone gets over it though.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:53 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
I'd venture to say most people get rejected more times than accepted. I know I've been rejected a lot in romance (a lot), most job positions that I applied to (send out 20 resumes... get two interviews and then don't get hired anyway kind of thing), colleges I applied to back in the day, school elections, music performances, you name it... it's part of life.

I wonder if the "everyone wins" attitude that people seem to embrace a lot nowadays (especially with kids) leads to them not being able to cope with rejection later in life. It's pretty much the same thing as losing after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships