Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 17 days ago)

16,137 posts, read 21,276,066 times

Advertisements

Anyone here ever used those do-it-yourself kits that you can find online? Apparently it's legal where I live, no lawyers needed for a no fault divorce. The prices for the kits look to be anywhere from $40 to $150. Wondering why the big $ discrepancy, how easy are they to use, is this just another scam?
Thoughts, opinions, experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:01 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,658,754 times
I used one for my divorce (PA) - worked fine. It isn't a scam - you just have to make sure you dot all your "i"'s in the paperwork. You still have to appear before a judge at the end, after the alloted separation time, but as long as it's uncontested it works great.

Saves a bundle on legal fees, even considering the bit of running around you need to do for notaries, etc. We even drew up our separation agreement on our own.

If you don't like to use lawyers and/or don't have the money, this is a very valid way to do a divorce.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,104,706 times
Yeah, they come with a bottle of Xanax and the URL to a dating site.

Just kidding...I used one and the divorce went through legally. I do know they're easier if you don't have issues that will be argued over (such as custody or property). ETA: This was in the state of New Jersey.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 17 days ago)

16,137 posts, read 21,276,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
- you just have to make sure you dot all your "i"'s in the paperwork.
So are we talking two pages in layman's terms, twenty pages of legalese, or will it depend on individual circumstances ya think?

I've been separated for five years, not much left to argue over, so I'm all for cutting out the middle man if I can! THX

ETA: the Xanax sounds good, not so sure about that URL though...

Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,622,349 times
You get what you pay for comes to mind.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:49 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,658,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So are we talking two pages in layman's terms, twenty pages of legalese, or will it depend on individual circumstances ya think?
I think they're pretty much all the same - boilerplate, I think they call it. It's been about 8 years now, so my memory is fading , but I seem to recall that it wasn't all that involved - maybe a dozen pages, all understandable to the average Joe. There was some legalese, but nothing too scary.

I DO recall that it came with a step-by-step instruction list - kind of like assembling a bike - so as you do each step you can cross it off the list. When you cross off the last one, you get to yell the secret mantra -

"Free at last, free at last
Thank G*d almighty, I'm free at last!"

PS: Not sure why the big difference re: $$$ - unless they include a month's subscription to that website...

Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I think they're pretty much all the same - boilerplate, I think they call it. It's been about 8 years now, so my memory is fading , but I seem to recall that it wasn't all that involved - maybe a dozen pages, all understandable to the average Joe. There was some legalese, but nothing too scary.

I DO recall that it came with a step-by-step instruction list - kind of like assembling a bike - so as you do each step you can cross it off the list. When you cross off the last one, you get to yell the secret mantra -

"Free at last, free at last
Thank G*d almighty, I'm free at last!"

PS: Not sure why the big difference re: $$$ - unless they include a month's subscription to that website...

OMG, NOW it's getting creepy, Phil...I too was divorced eight years ago. And the day the final papers went through I drove home singing The Who's "I'm Free".

Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,309,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Anyone here ever used those do-it-yourself kits that you can find online? Apparently it's legal where I live, no lawyers needed for a no fault divorce. The prices for the kits look to be anywhere from $40 to $150. Wondering why the big $ discrepancy, how easy are they to use, is this just another scam?
Thoughts, opinions, experiences?
I wouldn't bother with those. We paid $400 for everything to get taken care of and to never appear in court. I think it's a reasonable price.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:04 PM

Oh, and...the dudes we used were called We The People and we did have to go to one of their "stores" to get the paperwork, come to think of it. There was no charge for that but I *think* it was $175 or something like that.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:09 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,865,105 times
My first divorce cost $50.
My second one didn't cost me anything.
She was so glad to get rid of me that she paid whatever it cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships