Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:15 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times

Advertisements

It depends on the person and the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 03:17 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
I'm in IT and didn't finish my degree. My wife has a PhD and it's never been an issue with us but we've been together a long time.

People are always surprised when I tell them I don't have a degree. They ask how I've gotten this far. Practice, I say.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:20 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
No, not necessarily.

Having a degree and being intelligent/smart doesn't necessarily correlate. So, her not having a degree wouldn't be a deal-breaker depending on her other qualities.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:23 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,701 times
It does not make difference to me, but I am a guy. I have a 4 year degree. My estimate is that a 4 year degree would be prerequisite for 25% of men and 60% of women.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
At least one advanced degree.
And it has to be legit.

Plenty of dumbos with letters behind their names.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:25 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Not a requirement at all. I've dated double Masters and PhD's, and let me tell you about the common sense they lacked

I'll take good common sense over any degree any day.

If we're talking about the ability to make money through higher education? I really don't care about someone's money.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:26 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
I have a Bachelor's and my first two serious relationships after college were with guys who did not have a college degree. I think most of the men I dated since have had a 4-year degree or more; however, this really was not an issue or requirement for me.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:44 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Yes, it almost always mattered to me, or at least some evidence of education, whether formal or autodidactic. There were definitely few exceptions. The ex before my husband is a self-taught software developer, and I also previously, very briefly, dated a self-taught video game developer. Neither have bachelors degrees and both make well into six figures, with the former having worked at Blizzard.

My husband went to UCSB and studied engineering before deciding it wasn't for him, transferred to Sac State and got his AA in Liberal Studies. The more he focused on BJJ the less he focused on getting his bachelors degree. In about 3-5 years we're looking to move so he can open his own school.

I give immense credit and praise to self-learners and those who clearly are both intelligent and educated. When I first reentered the dating scene I was returning to school to complete my undergrad, and I dated men with graduate and professional degrees who took no issue with it.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:45 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
I just prefer that he would be doing something that contributed to society and not sitting on his butt.

I am in school going for my bachelor's but I don't require that he has one....as long as he is doing something productive with his life and knows how to take care of himself.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:55 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
No, not necessarily.

Having a degree and being intelligent/smart doesn't necessarily correlate. So, her not having a degree wouldn't be a deal-breaker depending on her other qualities.
I lost count how many people with degrees got a simple OKC question wrong: "Which is bigger, the sun or the Earth?"

Many answered Earth. I've also come across a number of degree holders that can't spell or write for sh*t, or have gaps in logic and critical thinking. So, no, college education does not correlate with intelligence or even "education." Some learners do the bare minimum to get by or fail to apply themselves.

This question was part of my litmus test. C'mon, that should be basic knowledge. For me, I was/am most compatible with STEM folks, and a few within my own field. These people tended to have degrees or were exceptionally intelligent and educated in their field of study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships