Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:45 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I can't understand why anyone would flake on a date before even meeting the person. Staying home on the sofa was more desirable than meeting someone who might have been the right match for you? What's the point of OLD then? Sure, another person might always be coming along, but if you're not having success, maybe you flaked on a good person in favour of your sofa, and the next person coming along is another mismatch.
Agreed. Somebody who has this approach should not be OLD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 11:02 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Bud, it's the attitude that you carried. That just makes my blood boil. I just can't fathom it, sorry.

I think everyone can say that online dating is a lot flakier than real life, so really can't compare the two.
What attitude? That if I don't want to do something I don't do it?

I've found people to be less flaky online, for me personally.. although I could understand how it could go the other way.

Quote:
I can't understand why anyone would flake on a date before even meeting the person. Staying home on the sofa was more desirable than meeting someone who might have been the right match for you? What's the point of OLD then? Sure, another person might always be coming along, but if you're not having success, maybe you flaked on a good person in favour of your sofa, and the next person coming along is another mismatch.

I received messages every day. I signed up for online dating to meet someone nice, but there were days that I just really didn't feel like going out. Sometimes a night on the couch is all someone needs

Most dates I went on, I'd have to force myself to go. Dating can be fun, meeting new people can be fun... but I don't really like too many people beyond the level of acquaintance.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:03 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Regarding flakery, that's why I tried to plan OLD dates for right after work, just a quick drink on the way home. I will admit that once I get home, often enough, I just want to get into comfortable clothes, hang out with my pets, and watch a movie or hockey game. Going out with friends might motivate me, but meeting a stranger, not so much.

It served a secondary purpose, too: It weeded out the workaholic Washing-trons who really didn't have time for a relationship and just wanted to date on the weekends. If a man works so much he can never meet someone during happy hour, he's not my kind of guy.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:08 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It served a secondary purpose, too: It weeded out the workaholic Washing-trons who really didn't have time for a relationship and just wanted to date on the weekends. If a man works so much he can never meet someone during happy hour, he's not my kind of guy.
Unless you're curing cancer or saving babies from burning buildings who the F wants to work so much that you can never have a life... I mean really..... work sucks D and that's about it...

I've worked about 6 weekends in a row and I'll never do it voluntarily...

I think some people think or delude themselves into thinking that they are it and that the work world can't go on without them.... they have to be at work or things won't happen.

Last time I checked, they still managed to get the pyramids built and all of the rest of things around us while joe blow checked out with a cold......

Old 06-14-2015, 11:15 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Unless you're curing cancer or saving babies from burning buildings who the F wants to work so much that you can never have a life... I mean really..... work sucks D and that's about it...

I've worked about 6 weekends in a row and I'll never do it voluntarily...

I think some people think or delude themselves into thinking that they are it and that the work world can't go on without them.... they have to be at work or things won't happen.

Last time I checked, they still managed to get the pyramids built and all of the rest of things around us while joe blow checked out with a cold......

I never understood selling your soul for another person's gain. There have been plenty of times where I work extra hours (such as now) because I'm saving up for a house, car and marriage papers. Overtime helps, but I still want my life.

It's so easy to work your life away, build a budget around a 55-60 hour work week and still live paycheck to paycheck. I see people do it all the time, seems miserable.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:20 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Regarding flakery, that's why I tried to plan OLD dates for right after work, just a quick drink on the way home. I will admit that once I get home, often enough, I just want to get into comfortable clothes, hang out with my pets, and watch a movie or hockey game. Going out with friends might motivate me, but meeting a stranger, not so much.

That's an interesting way of looking at things. I don't like doing social activities after work. All I have is around four hours to myself after work, and I really don't want to waste any of it on someone who I don't know well. Also since I don't like my job, I'm usually not in the greatest of moods until Friday. lol So I much prefer to socialize on weekends, but I could make time for someone during the week if I really liked them.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:49 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
bebe, how did it go?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Well I had one or two instances where after I agreed to meet a person, I just had something come over me that said; trouble ahead, stop and turn around. I've had girls do it to me. While it sucks at the time, probably best.

Also you may have avoided the person who would have robbed you blind and/or dumped your body in the Potomac River by not going on a date you didn't see fit to go ahead with.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:34 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Well I had one or two instances where after I agreed to meet a person, I just had something come over me that said; trouble ahead, stop and turn around. I've had girls do it to me. While it sucks at the time, probably best.

Also you may have avoided the person who would have robbed you blind and/or dumped your body in the Potomac River by not going on a date you didn't see fit to go ahead with.
Well by that logic, you'd never meet anyone.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
It's a matter of being unwilling to expend effort, and not that motivated to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships