Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 AM

29,773 posts, read 34,497,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I like that he did research, went out of country, and got input from the previous generations.
Yeah, I've been hearing a lot about this book on various media, and I like that he's not just a comedian writing a dating manual a la Steve Harvey doing the "women, amirite guys?" schtick. He did research, he worked with a sociologist and seems pretty thoughtful about the whole approach.

Here's the interview Aziz did with NPR: Interview: Aziz Ansari, Author Of 'Modern Romance' : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 11:52 AM

19,467 posts, read 15,307,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I did, but the misery was of the marriages of older generations. Women married because it was their only way out, and they didn't do it for love.

It pisses me off when people talk about the "good ole days" of marriage (always dudes, or close to it)... sorry, marrying because you have to and not because you want to, isn't good. It freaking blows.
Yeah, I always think it's funny when guys crab about marriage when it was their baby to begin with. It started out as basically a business transaction, with the women being the "goods." I'm going kind of off-topic, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I think this is the "misery" part he touched on:

Why do you think people are so frustrated today with the current dating scene?

I've actually said pretty much the same exact thing on this forum before. Options are good, to an extent. But in modern dating, we have so many options, and it becomes overwhelming trying to find the perfect match because we always think we need to keep looking; because something better is sure to come along. Just look at all the perma-daters we have on this site who go through partners like they're dispensable assets that you use up for a short period of time until you're ready for something new. Commitment and dedication and working through relationship strife is so passé. Why work at it, when you can jump into something new at the click of your mouse button or swipe of your smartphone screen.
I agree completely. I've never dated online, and I'm actually relieved. I was never a huge social butterfly, but I still feel it's better to just come across someone you really like in "real life." OLD almost seems like online shopping. You look over the selection, put them in your cart, and click "Buy."

Quote:
Studies have been done on the affects of too many options, and essentially the more options the less happy people are. This applied to anything/everything.

I have found this applies to myself, especially shopping.
Exactly! And I just said this the other day. If I find a top, or something, I like, I hate it when it comes in like 20 colors. I can't decide, and then if you did buy a bunch of colors, suddenly it doesn't mean as much anymore. If you can only have one, you treasure it. I don't think it's good at all to have everything, everyone, at your disposal at all times. You don't value anything/anyone anymore.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Y

Exactly! And I just said this the other day. If I find a top, or something, I like, I hate it when it comes in like 20 colors. I can't decide, and then if you did buy a bunch of colors, suddenly it doesn't mean as much anymore. If you can only have one, you treasure it. I don't think it's good at all to have everything, everyone, at your disposal at all times. You don't value anything/anyone anymore.

I think I love you!

(in a completely non-creepy, non-sexual way )
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-16-2015, 11:57 AM

19,467 posts, read 15,307,729 times
Quote:
I think I love you!

(in a completely non-creepy, non-sexual way )
Lol! So I guess we get what each other is saying, then.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:17 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,818,110 times
The more options theory is well known. Infact, Costco carries only a few brands for precisely this reason. From their studies they found that if people are given too many choices they will defer making a choice!!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:43 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,122,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I did, but the misery was of the marriages of older generations. Women married because it was their only way out, and they didn't do it for love.

It pisses me off when people talk about the "good ole days" of marriage (always dudes, or close to it)... sorry, marrying because you have to and not because you want to, isn't good. It freaking blows.
Better than what we have now.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:44 PM

29,773 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Better than what we have now.
How was it better?

Old 06-16-2015, 02:55 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,122,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How was it better?
Lower divorce rate, more balanced options, a society more conducive to keeping families together.

social stigma for infidelity. When in relationship people behaved like they were in relationships.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:41 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Lower divorce rate, more balanced options, a society more conducive to keeping families together.

social stigma for infidelity. When in relationship people behaved like they were in relationships.
Only a social stigma for women. In a lot of ways it was considered "men being men."

I can see why some guys would like to go back in time: more social judgement on women's behavior, little no support if they leave, few jobs for women. The OP's definition of balance is much different then mine. Or are we going way, way back? We are essentially sold by our fathers for a dowry, we are then considered the husband's property (you can do anything you want to your property), women couldn't hold assets or inherit.

Yeah, I'll pass.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-16-2015, 07:52 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,214,858 times
Quote:
Only a social stigma for women. In a lot of ways it was considered "men being men."

I can see why some guys would like to go back in time: more social judgement on women's behavior, little no support if they leave, few jobs for women. The OP's definition of balance is much different then mine. Or are we going way, way back? We are essentially sold by our fathers for a dowry, we are then considered the husband's property (you can do anything you want to your property), women couldn't hold assets or inherit.

Yeah, I'll pass.
Um, I never said any of that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships