Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's most important?
Looks 26 28.26%
Personality 66 71.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,058,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
It seems that some people on this thread will only talk to attractive people. I find that odd.

I would substitute "good looking" people, or "people they find good looking" for attractive.

Maybe that is just me. But I think one issue on here is some people here use "attractive" and "good looking" as synonyms, when most people realize they're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:39 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,648,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I was attracted to them because of their personality. For many of them, I would never have given them a second glance if just out and about.

To answer the bolded, we just ended up talking and hitting it off. The last woman I mentioned she sat (with her friend) next to me at a bar and we started talking and it clicked. Dated about 9 mos, and we've become good friends.

That's usually how these things happen. You're out and about at fairs, shows, bars, whatever event and you're talking to people (young, old, male, female, whatever) and sometimes something just clicks and there is chemistry.
How can that be? I go out to everything everywhere everyday. A bit of hyperbole, yes, but I go out, Im friendly. Nobody talks to me but these crazy drunks and pipeheads and things wearing their clothes off their hips, but I see lots of better looking people receiving attention and winks, and Im just sitting alone or "the friend" guys are not attracted to.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
How can that be? I go out to everything everywhere everyday. A bit of hyperbole, yes, but I go out, Im friendly. Nobody talks to me but these crazy drunks and pipeheads and things wearing their clothes off their hips, but I see lots of better looking people receiving attention and winks, and Im just sitting alone or "the friend" guys are not attracted to.

Do you talk to them?

She (the woman I mentioned) initiated the convo with me. I was just watching a game, and she asked about a beer there (she was, it turns out, testing out my taste)... I answered correctly it seems!

(Pipeheads?)

But I can't answer your question. I don't know you. Lots of it is about charisma. Lots of good looking people don't have it, and lots of not so good looking people have tons of it.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 AM
miu

17,771 posts, read 40,227,414 times
Personality!!!! I've met a lot of handsome men who were duds. Conceited players whose only interest was bedding as many different partners as they could.

I prefer a less handsome man who has a good personality and knows that a good friendship/relationship requires some consideration and effort on the part of both.

And by personality, he needs to have a great sense of humour, not think too highly of himself yet have self-confidence, integrity and honesty and be a good listener and a good conversationalist.

A face having laugh lines is sexy.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,686,242 times
Quote:
It seems that some people on this thread will only talk to attractive people. I find that odd.
What? You don't only check out in hot cashiers' lanes? Insist your coworkers only be people who pass muster from a physical symmetry standpoint, because what if you have to talk to someone you consider less than attractive? Call the post office and request that your mail delivery person be reassigned, because he or she is not attractive enough for you to deign to interact with? Require only the most good-looking pediatrician for your kids?

How weird.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,686,242 times
Quote:
But I can't answer your question. I don't know you. Lots of it is about charisma. Lots of good looking people don't have it, and lots of not so good looking people have tons of it.
Yep. Guys who have not been at a glance to be my particular taste in the looks department have DEFINITELY gained my attention because they're charismatic to the extreme.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,643,409 times
Quote:
I don't only talk to men who I find attractive. I've just only agreed to go on dates with men who met a certain level of attractiveness.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:59 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,187,383 times
Quote:
I have many times. Last girl I dated had quite a bit extra, and I was mad about her.

And no, I'm not overweight myself. At the gym 6x a week, run 5-10ks bi weekly, and take fitness seriously.
That's pretty interesting. I've never encountered a man (friend, someone I follow on IG, etc.) who's seriously into fitness that didn't want to date someone of equal ilk, and only very few women that wouldn't.

That helps dispel the stereotype that fitness freaks are so shallow and narcissistic that they only want to date people that are on their "level", physically.

Hmm.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
That's pretty interesting. I've never encountered a man (friend, someone I follow on IG, etc.) who's seriously into fitness that didn't want to date someone of equal ilk, and only very few women that wouldn't.

That helps dispel the stereotype that fitness freaks are so shallow and narcissistic that they only want to date people that are on their "level", physically.

Hmm.

She's also into fitness, just overweight. She is a distance swimmer and biker, just 30# or so overweight (I'm guessing, I have no idea what she thinks she is).

Especially as you get older, you meet lots of people that do things like run marathons, do distance bike rides, rock climb, etc but are overweight. Out of shape and overweight aren't synonyms.

I've run into many thin people that look good, but are woefully out of shape.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:11 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,709,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Hmm.
I had a friend (typical nerd guy... a biologist, into comic books, I met him though a computer game, etc) and he married a personal trainer! I lost touch with them, but they actually made a blog about their differences and it was pretty funny to read. I lost touch with them when they moved away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships