Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM

914 posts, read 766,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've seen a lot of women with chips on their shoulders (about being perceived as unapproachable due to their race, among other things) not get approached. People who wear the "Nobody will date me because of... [the color of my skin/insert other issue presumed to blame/etc.]" issues on their sleeve CERTAINLY give on an unapproachable vibe. Chip-on-shoulder attitudes put people off like no other, in general, no matter your individual other characteristics or attributes. If you're already defensive, that's not attractive.
Oh please, you probably experience the perks of white privilege everyday of your life and don't even realize it. How are you going to get up here and try to downplay a woman of color's personal experience, blaming her for the way she feels? Unless you've personally walked that walk please don't try to tell her it's HER fault. Just like a man doesn't have a basis to tell you how you should feel as a woman, you don't have a basis to tell this poster how she should feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 09:31 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've seen a lot of women with chips on their shoulders (about being perceived as unapproachable due to their race, among other things) not get approached. People who wear the "Nobody will date me because of... [the color of my skin/insert other issue presumed to blame/etc.]" issues on their sleeve CERTAINLY give on an unapproachable vibe. Chip-on-shoulder attitudes put people off like no other, in general, no matter your individual other characteristics or attributes. If you're already defensive, that's not attractive.
Nice way to spin what what she said around because of course it's the black woman's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
Oh please, you probably experience the perks of white privilege everyday of your life and don't even realize it. How are you going to get up here and try to downplay a woman of color's personal experience, blaming her for the way she feels? Unless you've personally walked that walk please don't try to tell her it's HER fault. Just like a man doesn't have a basis to tell you how you should feel as a woman, you don't have a basis to tell this poster how she should feel.
I actually don't remember the OP mentioning race at all as a reason why she can't get a date. Other posters sure did.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 AM

297 posts, read 294,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny4mythoughts View Post
I don't think race has much to do with it, I mean of course some people have their preferences. Im black too and I don't fit any stereotypes. Men of all races approach me. I think you can be pretty or aesthetically pleasing but not "enticing", and that is the issue here. Confidence is the number one key to attraction. It gives you that allure. Guys fall for women all the time that are far from pretty or overweight but they are confident, they feel they are sexy... which makes them fun to be around and like-able. I think the op is too conservative and it may come off as "stuffy" which is anti-enticing. I'm pretty sure becoming more comfortable with herself and loosening up some will make the difference.
You don't think race has anything to do with it, but somehow the stats suggests that American black women are more likely to be single than any other race of women in this nation. --But somehow, this is all merely by happenstance.

I'm happy that men of all races approach you, but based on the stats, this is not the case for most black American women who reside in the U.S. (irrespective of their relative attractiveness).

I don't know if the OP is too conservative, but even if she is, what does that have to do with her dating prospects? There are plenty of conservative non black women in the U.S. who have a plethora of dates. I've never heard anyone tell a white conservative woman to lighten up and not be so "stuffy." What generally happens is, she will attract a similarly suited guy.

People in this nation prefer to pretend that it's the OP who is just too "stuffy," or too judgmental, instead of just admitting that black American women are stereotyped very harshly, and these negative stereotypes have a deleterious impact on black women's dating options and marriage prospects throughout the U.S.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:41 AM

297 posts, read 294,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Nice way to spin what what she said around because of course it's the black woman's fault...I actually don't remember the OP mentioning race at all as a reason why she can't get a date. Other posters sure did.
The OP didn't mention it, but I brought it up, because this is the real reason why she is having such a difficult time finding a mate. D.C. is by far one of the worst places for professional black women to look for marriage minded men.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 AM

733 posts, read 1,664,500 times
By reading your post and looking at your picture, you seem like a friendly, attractive and fun girl. If I know you in real life, I'd definitely want to be your friend and introduce guys to you. So yeah... there is nothing wrong with how you are. Perhaps the places that you frequent are not the ideal for social interactions. Perhaps try going to meetups, networking events, etc where talking and making connections is the norm?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyDay2016 View Post
The OP didn't mention it, but I brought it up, because this is the real reason why she is having such a difficult time finding a mate. D.C. is by far one of the worst places for professional black women to look for marriage minded men.
Ok,

So what should she do? She can't change her race, obviously. And it may not be possible for her to move. Now what?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:06 AM

47 posts, read 30,781 times
Any woman, regardless of race is going to be approached less if she is dressed tooo conservative or grandma-like, or if she is not as confident in herself, or if she is too uptight. Thats not race related.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:08 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,212,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I actually don't remember the OP mentioning race at all as a reason why she can't get a date. Other posters sure did.
She hasn't, at least not in this thread. But people have asked what her preferences are and she has not responded. Her failure to respond combined with the fact that she is attractive and not overweight (based upon her profile picture), and that she mentioned in the OP that she lives near a prestigious law school (she is 31), leads me to believe her preferences are the issue. And, I am sorry if this does not apply to the OP, but it is a theme that I have observed on this forum, that AA people that post in this forum about their difficulties finding a mate/date will not mention that they are primarily looking for an interracial relationship until it is pulled out of them on page 10.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:25 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,850,176 times
Is op just into black guys?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
She hasn't, at least not in this thread. But people have asked what her preferences are and she has not responded. Her failure to respond combined with the fact that she is attractive and not overweight (based upon her profile picture), and that she mentioned in the OP that she lives near a prestigious law school (she is 31), leads me to believe her preferences are the issue. And, I am sorry if this does not apply to the OP, but it is a theme that I have observed on this forum, that AA people that post in this forum about their difficulties finding a mate/date will not mention that they are primarily looking for an interracial relationship until it is pulled out of them on page 10.
You reached that conclusion based on pure conjecture.

And taking into consideration the tone of this forum, I don't blame anyone for not stating that they are into interracial relationships. Look at some of the responses that she received without mentioning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships