Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
So I'm supposing if some dude says, "Nice stems babe" that wouldn't go over well????
Lol, um wrong era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 10:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
people are whining about other commenting to total strangers about how good their legs look, all the time they are in fact showing off their legs by wearing short skirts, and short pants. if you are going to show off the art work, then you need to understand that some are going to comment on said art work. if you dont like it, dont wear revealing clothing.
Someone doesn't have to wear revealing clothing for people to make inappropriate comments. I would assume that respectful people will probably not make a person feel uncomfortable with a compliment. However, someone starting a thread to specifically ask about complimenting a woman's legs probably isn't one of those people. That sounds more like a fetish.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:13 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Nice pins! As my deceased dad used to say about what caught his eye about my mom while they were 'bowling'.

In most every instance - No - do not make comment to a woman you do not know on their physical traits in public. It would have to involve some level of eye contact / flirting and an environment where it wouldn't come off as being a direct comment on just her body parts. It just won't work with the vast majority of women - especially the younger generation. A prior poster gave a few instances where it can work (the ballet instructor for his daughter / or woman at gym in context).

Now, this past week I saw this gorgeous set of pins (in a red dress with a perfect cinch by a belt at the waist) coming toward me while walking at lunch (a favorite past time working in urban setting) and the internal dialogue was, "Oh my, there they are! The physical inspiration for the Warner Brothers cartoonists who made cartoons in a trailer on the Warner Brothers pictures back lot in the golden age of Hollywood studios. I wonder if this woman is a descendant of a Warner Brothers actress who was their inspiration? Whenever they would draw the occasional female lower half they always were so shapely. Meow, meow kitty come hither and wrap thyself around this horse's withers, and let me enjoy thy glorious Sartorius muscles"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCkSJhCD6SA

I wonder if I approached her in a Frenchman's voice and said, excusez-moi mademoiselle, you have the finest legs that inspire artists like Rodin to sculpt them. Would you grace my studio sometime? Of course, by that time she was past me going the other way....{sigh}

There's another young female who occasionally visits our office as an account exec who I also see occasionally on the train when I commute. She has the same sort of amazingly beautiful legs (what portions one can observe in business suit / skirt attire) but I would never say anything to her directly as it would not be appropriate.

Best thing to compliment a woman you don't know is a friendly knowing smile. That's one I've never had anyone say a bad thing about. Most reciprocate back with a smile, some do not. I think most women with great physical attributes know it and hear it enough from others - except for a rare few.

Longnote, please go ahead and compliment the next pair of legs you admire on a woman you don't know in public and tell us how it goes over.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:12 AM

403 posts, read 597,908 times
I don't think so personally but a lot of women would disagree so it would be best to avoid saying that.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:22 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You have to be smart about how you compliment people.

I'm sure sophisticated men wouldn't want a lady saying,"hey baby I like yer sweet azz".
i agree that people have to be smart about the compliments they make, and how they make them.

but you can bet that if a woman were to compliment a guy on parts of his anatomy, regardless of how sophisticated he is, he will accept the compliment with all the grace the average make can muster. it will usually go like this;

thank you maam, how about we get together for lunch today?

Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
i agree that people have to be smart about the compliments they make, and how they make them.

but you can bet that if a woman were to compliment a guy on parts of his anatomy, regardless of how sophisticated he is, he will accept the compliment with all the grace the average make can muster. it will usually go like this;

thank you maam, how about we get together for lunch today?
For some.Some men would be grossed out if you are a fat beast.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:33 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
Quote:
For some.Some men would be grossed out if you are a fat beast.
This is true. Most men imagine an attractive woman when they say that. If they are approached by someone they find unattractive, they change their tune. And they make sure to laugh about it with their friends.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 AM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Duh. Its about as appropriate and telling her what nice breasts or buttocks she has. Try something a little nicer, like her jewelry, or her shoes.
I rarely notice a woman's jewelry or shoes.

Quote:
Tell her she has a nice set of hooters.
I usually notice the lower half first, then the face, then back down towards everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Complimenting a woman's engagement ring is the best way to get laid.
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
It wouldn't really bother me if it was done nicely. I really like my legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Same. I never care when guys or anyone compliments me, hold the doors etc; I'm all about chivalry. I once had a guy say "nice stems!" And I laughed and said thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatetheheat01 View Post
Nice legs compliment- doesn't bother me but I hate my long ugly legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree ^^. As a woman I always appreciate a nice compliment, whether from friend, family or stranger. It is really all about how you say it, as others have previously pointed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
I don't understand the problem if it's done respectfully.

It's not like you are telling her she has nice boobs or a nice butt. That's a little over the line.

I would not be offended.

No wonder so many men think women have senses of entitlement.
The world would be a merrier place if more women thought like you ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No, wait ... you wanted to know which country was most likely to have big-legged women, right??
Yep, that was me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Networking_Guy View Post
I am into a girls legs like big time but complimenting them right off the bat is a bad idea. Try to get to know them first, date them and warm up to it. It takes a little time maybe a month or two. Take my advice and just save it. There is a time and place for everything and meeting someone for the first time isn't the time nor the place for that.
Lol, a month or two?!!? To comment on her thighs!!?? That's crazy, if she's not letting you smash by the second or third week, then there's something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Yeah, a woman's gotta' feel that it is a genuine feel, I suppose.

Unlike us guys, where if we get told we "have a nice a$$", we aren't complaining...but we acknowledge that comment with reservation if it comes from Fiona of Shrek fame.
Yeah, there is that double standard... I recently was getting fitted for a suit and this middle-aged lady was molesting my hips and buttocks like you couldn't imagine while she was "fitting" me. I didn't complain, because I kind of liked it, but there's definitely a double standard. I've been to the beach and have had my peck squeezed by a total stranger, again I didn't really care... Now, say I see a woman with a nice bum and I decide I want to give it a little squeeze, how do you think that would go over? The real question is, how long would it be before I was arrested, tried, found guilty, and labeled as a sex offender for the rest of my life .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
It's amazing that threads like these crop up so often. I thought everyone knew that in this day and age, it's inappropriate to even compliment women you do know (i.e., co-workers) because it could be misinterpreted & you could get into deep $#$% as a result.

So, yes, since it's inappropriate to compliment even women you do know it's very inappropriate to compliment women you don't know...
I've told female coworkers on numerous occasions that they look fit and/or healthy... They seemed to really like being complimented in that manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Even a creeper like me wouldn't do that. But hey, OP, feel fee to exercise your right to freedom of speech.
Next time a woman sits down next to me who's wearing something short and who has nice legs, I plan on saying something along the lines of, "Wow, you have really nice legs..." I'll be sure to report back.

Quote:
i prefer to tell her that she is looking fabulous, and then when she smiles, i tell her what a wonderful smile she has. compliments to strangers should be uplifting, genuine, and non-threatening.
As long as you're not getting close to her or acting in a manner where she thinks you may try to violate her, I don't understand how a compliment could be threatening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Refrain from making personal comments about strangers' bodies unless you WANT to be thought of as a creep.
It's not like I'm asking if it's OK for me to kiss and caress her sexy thighs, that comes later... It's just an observation, and a feeling of me needing to express myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Yes, it is VERY inappropriate. Her body is not public property for you to voice an opinion on.
... Huuh, yes and no. Her body isn't available for any and everyone to touch, but if she's in public and she's wearing some skimpy dress and she has a nice body, it's immature of her to be offended when people look and or make respectful innocent compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
I am all about being truthful.

but I am guessing that unless this is a beach the lady is gone slap you.

Ladies like the attention. but many times like it to remain just that. They like you to follow them with your eyes.

but just for a second or so. if it resumes and becomes 10 seconds, then you are a creep.

just be careful. not to get labeled.
I agree... It should be quick and non-intrusive/threatening. If she sits next to you or stands in front of you, what's wrong with telling her how shapely she is or complimenting her on a specific part of her body?

Quote:
then dont wear clothing that shows off your legs, and you wont get comments on them.
^^^ Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Hey this isn't Saudi Arabia. So you think just because a woman wears a skirt or shorts she's looking to get hit on? How about just controlling yourself and minding your own business?
This is what metrosexual America has come to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
That's why I only leave the house completely covered from head to toe. I don't even leave my eyes showing. Because otherwise - I'm just asking for it.
Smart lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Yeah, asking to touch/rub them, or saying "nice legs!...... they would be nicer around my waist" might get an unfavorable response, Lol.
... Smoooth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Inappropriate, and in three states (Utah, Alabama & South Dakota) it can result in an attempted rape charge.
.... It's idiotic laws such as this that will keep America as having the highest incarceration rate per capita of any country. America has never stood for freedom and justice for all or freedom of speech, no matter how many times that lie has been beaten into your

Quote:
people are whining about other commenting to total strangers about how good their legs look, all the time they are in fact showing off their legs by wearing short skirts, and short pants. if you are going to show off the art work, then you need to understand that some are going to comment on said art work. if you dont like it, dont wear revealing clothing.
Yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Hmmm. I see women every day walking around here in shorts and skirts because it frequently is close to 100 degrees. I think they are wearing it to be comfortable, not because they want comments on their "art work". Your thinking is sexist and outdated.
I don't think they wear revealing clothes for comfort, despite that being the excuse they often use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Artwork? Revealing clothing? They're legs, most people have them, and use them to move their bodies from place to place by foot.
Sure, just like breasts serve as nothing more than something a baby needs for milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post

This is true. Most men imagine an attractive woman when they say that. If they are approached by someone they find unattractive, they change their tune. And they make sure to laugh about it with their friends.
Yes, but I still wouldn't be offended if the compliment came from a fat wildebeest, I'd just say thanks.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:53 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post

It's not like I'm asking if it's OK for me to kiss and caress her sexy thighs, that comes later... It's just an observation, and a feeling of me needing to express myself.

Her body isn't available for any and everyone to touch, but if she's in public and she's wearing some skimpy dress and she has a nice body, it's immature of her to be offended when people look and or make respectful innocent compliments.
Innocent?? LOL you're only fooling yourself.

So you have this irresistible compulsion to express yourself, but SHE's the immature one?

Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Lol, a month or two?!!? To comment on her thighs!!?? That's crazy, if she's not letting you smash by the second or third week, then there's something wrong.
This is why complimenting women you don't know on their sexual attributes makes you look like a creep. You're not noticing her "artwork." You want to get up in there. That's why most women shut that down. Your compliment is simply a "wanna smash"? I don't typically use the word "creep," but if there's a textbook that approach is probably in it.

Quote:
Yeah, there is that double standard... I recently was getting fitted for a suit and this middle-aged lady was molesting my hips and buttocks like you couldn't imagine while she was "fitting" me. I didn't complain, because I kind of liked it, but there's definitely a double standard. I've been to the beach and have had my peck squeezed by a total stranger, again I didn't really care... Now, say I see a woman with a nice bum and I decide I want to give it a little squeeze, how do you think that would go over? The real question is, how long would it be before I was arrested, tried, found guilty, and labeled as a sex offender for the rest of my life .
If you called the cops instead of standing there enjoying yourself, and the cops did nothing, that would be a double-standard.

Quote:
As long as you're not getting close to her or acting in a manner where she thinks you may try to violate her, I don't understand how a compliment could be threatening.
I can't believe those stuck-up ice queens not appreciating your desire to smash them. I mean sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships