Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 09:56 PM

89 posts, read 94,110 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21yr old man who doesn't have much dating experience but I'm not picky. The only things I call for are: 1.) Good accent (where I live in Ireland there are some people with the equivalent of redneck accent). 2.) No fake tans and 3.) Good teeth.

It probably is a bit shallow and hypocritical seeing as I don't have good teeth but I've always been subconsciously turned off by women with a "gummy smile" where the incisors are too short and the gum shows or the opposite a "horsie smile" where the incisors are too large.

For me really, a good smile beats a woman's breasts or butt (I've never understood the fascination). Would this be the case for other men who are in the dating game?

Old 05-05-2020, 09:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I'm a 21yr old man who doesn't have much dating experience but I'm not picky. The only things I call for are: 1.) Good accent (where I live in Ireland there are some people with the equivalent of redneck accent). 2.) No fake tans and 3.) Good teeth.

It probably is a bit shallow and hypocritical seeing as I don't have good teeth but I've always been subconsciously turned off by women with a "gummy smile" where the incisors are too short and the gum shows or the opposite a "horsie smile" where the incisors are too large.

For me really, a good smile beats a woman's breasts or butt (I've never understood the fascination). Would this be the case for other men who are in the dating game?
People like what they like. It's not shallow in general to have standards, unless looks are the ONLY factor you're considering. That is truly shallow.

The bigger problem here is that you reject women for a characteristic that you admit to having yourself. So yes, in my mind hypocritical kicks shallow's *** every time.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:06 PM

599 posts, read 263,454 times
No. I'm picky when it comes to teeth. Everyone in my family had braces regardless if your teeth were that crooked.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:07 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,282,642 times
It sounds shallow to me but based on the equivalent here in America I am probably guilty of the same. I am from a posher sector and I wont date people who show signs of low class. Which here is like dirty clothes, signs of drug use (being underweight, unkempt), people without education, people living on benefits.

Accent doesnt matter here I guess. We judge class by other things. Though actually accent probably does matter. We just dont think of these things. Its just in the background, not something we discuss.

So, I dont blame you.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:13 PM

599 posts, read 263,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
It sounds shallow to me but based on the equivalent here in America I am probably guilty of the same. I am from a posher sector and I wont date people who show signs of low class. Which here is like dirty clothes, signs of drug use (being underweight, unkempt), people without education, people living on benefits.

Accent doesnt matter here I guess. We judge class by other things. Though actually accent probably does matter. We just dont think of these things. Its just in the background, not something we discuss.

So, I dont blame you.
Same here. I wouldn't even consider someone who didn't come from my background. It's just not going to work and life is too short to try and overcome the differences.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:43 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,375 times
You like what you like, but the things you mentioned could limit the amount of women who fit your criteria.

Teeth can be fixed. What if she gets a *fake tan* one time while you are together? Would you break up with her? Even if she was perfect for you in every other way?

How about focusing on the good things that you are looking for in a woman/relationship. That seems more productive.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:34 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
In the US, teeth are a sign of socioeconomic status. Same for the working class accent. In my zip code, a tan on May 1 means you ski or you could afford the trip south to have leisure time in the warm sun. I suppose a fake tan is like a knockoff purse pretending affluence you don’t have. I ski so my friends tend to have deep skier tans at this time of year in non-pandemic times.

The pragmatic reality is that if you’re searching out a long term relationship, you’re probably going to filter on cues of socioeconomic status. The economically successful couples in the US tend to be dual income and college educated. It’s rational to be looking for those cues.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:05 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
You can easily fix teeth.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2014/0...h-as-an-adult/

However, you can't fix stupid.

Focus on the important attributes like values and intelligence.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:09 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
You need to fix your teeth too, then. Women feel the same way about that.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:19 AM

3,149 posts, read 1,604,883 times
Most of us have preferences. Many women prefer tall men and won't date a man shorter than they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships