Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times

Advertisements

Do not get married if you are having second thoughts about it. Just go on and continue dating until you are completely sure, or break up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
"Marriage" doesn't do anything to a couple. A couple gets married - and their marriage is what they make of it.

You keep talking about how you love her - but then everything you say about your possible future marriage and how she figures into it sounds like you think she's a horrible person and you don't trust her.

Something is amiss here...

Old 07-18-2015, 09:54 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Do not get married if you are having second thoughts about it. Just go on and continue dating until you are completely sure, or break up.
I don't think that "continue dating" will be an option. People don't generally want to continue dating after their partner called off their engagement.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:10 AM

491 posts, read 402,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
And don't forget, OP, your imaginary wife will steal those imaginary kids from you and you won't see them again! You might not even be the father of these imaginary kids but you will have to pay all your money and live in a cardboard box.

Continue to fight the good fight, OP. On the internet, under multiple user names, where it really matters.
Yep.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Sounds like a classic case of "cold feet" (aka commitment phobia) to me.
That's funny. It sounds like a case of Newmember agenda rerollia to me.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlocke View Post
No. I'm not going to make a huge sacrifice and potentially ruin my life just for the sake of making a gesture like so many other men out there. I'm not going to be another statistic, another lemming.

You say that if I love her, I'll do it, but if she loves me, and if she truly wants the real thing, she'll understand and stay with me. If she wants a gesture, she can have a ring. If she leaves, I'll move on.
Here's what stands out to me. You say you put a lot of thought in prior to proposing you get married.

Then you list a bunch of thoughts that supposedly frighten you, which would presumably be things you'd have thought of prior to deciding to propose marriage (or SHOULD have been things you'd have thought of), so apparently, you didn't do as much thinking about it as you say, or not enough, at any rate. And, FWIW, I think you are borrowing trouble with a lot of the things you listed, but enough people have already responded very thoughtfully addressing them bullet point by bullet point. And given that you've already decided how you're going to proceed, I don't see the point in wasting the keystrokes with refuting things or offering an alternate perspective on things you've already decided in your head are problems. Also, I think this thread is just another excuse for the usual members to bang the "marriage is a bad deal for men" drum that gets banged approximately 15 times a day around here.

I'll play, though. Here's the deal...

Why SHOULD you fiancee stay with you?

"Marrying you would be a huge sacrifice. I'd be potentially ruining my life if I married you. It would be an empty gesture, and I'd feel like a lemming. But I hope that we can continue to be together, because it's not that I don't want you. I just don't want to ruin my life by marrying you."

If you think there's another way to spin this sentiment that would make ANYbody think, "Oh, absolutely, let's carry on with this relationship," I think you are completely delusional.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
That's funny. It sounds like a case of Newmember agenda rerollia to me.
Yep. More of the same.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:55 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times
OP:

If this post is remotely true, then...

going by your original post as well as your replies, why did you 1) get involved in a relationship with her and 2) decide to get engaged?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:59 AM

Because he clearly gave it a "lot of thought," duh!

Old 07-18-2015, 11:07 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Hm. Creating an account to declare your intention to break up with your fiancee, then arguing with people about it. This sounds familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships