Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times

Advertisements

same way. i too was the butt of joke and insults for years. it actually was a big reason i had anger issues when i was younger. these days i embrace the self deprecating humor. it works well enough to break the ice with the women as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:36 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Yes and I still am the "Meg" of everyone's jokes.

Especially when it comes to dating. I've become quite timid and reserved because of it. I don't have difficulty talking to people but I can't help feel self conscious when I am around others.

I cope with it by simply either ignoring them or retreating to my own space. It really messes up my focus and causes me to second guess myself A LOT. It sucks but you have to try to push forward and not think about it too much.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:46 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Used to get picked on all the time for my prostitute addiction back when I was a teenager. Old expats were the worst. My burning man friends also made quips about it for years. Nowadays no one ever really bothers me about it.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:51 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Yes I was picked on a lot, as I was one of those straight A kids, and we moved a lot, so new smart kid never goes over well. I never let it bother me though. I'm a tough cookie, and always have been.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:06 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,195,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Yes and I still am the "Meg" of everyone's jokes.

Especially when it comes to dating. I've become quite timid and reserved because of it. I don't have difficulty talking to people but I can't help feel self conscious when I am around others.

I cope with it by simply either ignoring them or retreating to my own space. It really messes up my focus and causes me to second guess myself A LOT. It sucks but you have to try to push forward and not think about it too much.
This for me. I was teased alot mainly during school years of course. When I was younger, it didn't bother me. I would go home and think nothing of it. Then as I got older, it started to bother me, and I became more shy-oddly enough.

Now, I just try to ignore it, or respond in a more mature fashion, which some people really hate. Example, this is just rudeness really-rather than school bullying or teasing.
Spoiler
A poster on another site hated a comment I made about a tv character, so they respond by calling me retarded. I just reported their post. They posted again, but just used different words that time. I replied casually that they weren't going to receive an answer to their question long as they were using personal attacks. They said I didn't deserve a cordial reply, so, I responded that if that was the case, then they deserved no answer, then I told them it was fine, and in the future I would just report their posts and have them deleted. I didn't insult back, or act angry. They got angrier with my "passive-aggressive" attitude and told me they hoped I died. I couldn't even be mad when that person was either trolling, or they were the ones mad and getting worked up. So, I mainly found it amusing. But responded no less than respectfully. It beats sinking to their level and throwing out insults and cursing. That doesn't get anyone anywhere.

That poster hasn't responded to me in 2 days. Maybe they're busy and will later. But I have them on ignore now anyhow.

So, nowadays, I probably will just respond with kindness or not show their comments may be upsetting or annoying. Sometimes people just want to get a reaction out of you,, so when you rant and rave, you gave them the upper hand that they have power over you. So unless you kill or permanently damage them, for a reaction they'll always push your buttons. So, even if someone does annoy or hurt you verbally, best not to let them know it does.

But when I was younger, I would argue back and get violent on occasion. Like trying to hit a guy with a desk, or beat one with a large umbrella I had. Some guys thought I was crazy. Now I wouldn't do that. Plus, if I acted on some of my thoughts, I would in in jail now. but getting that extreme is rare. I haven't been that bad since HS.

Last edited by HappyRain; 07-31-2015 at 12:30 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 12:21 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
I had a weird internet stalker around 6-7 years ago. Weird old British dude from a Thai expat site I used to post on. He claimed I had been rude to him in a bar. Decided to go on a personal vendetta against me. Spammed my youtube page with false accusations, joined 2 other forums I was a member of to post the same accusations. Even went so far as to contact at least one of the companies I contracted with. He eventually gave up after around a month of this. Was truly bizarre.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,334 times
I got picked on a lot in High School; I was not in the "In Crowd"; I was not a JOCK; I was not wealthy or popular; some physical picking on as well; but not much. That all changed by my senior year; not because they grew up; or the other students suddenly had conscience; it was the fact between junior and senior year, I went from 5'8" to 6'2" and from 135 to 185 in pounds; at that point I was the biggest kid in the class ; and the students were not stupid.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,926,023 times
in my teens I was the odd duck in my circle of friends...didn't seem to fit in
I found new freinds

Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
Some interesting input thank you all for your participaion.
I deal with folks some time with very low self esteem, and get upset/hurt very easiy .
I've learned to be a good and careful listener .
It is hard to apprach this issue with them, because you never know how they will take it.
Dad says you need thick skin and broad shoulders . I have learned that if your more like jello than stone you can take a lot of abuse and not get crushed.
I'm not saying invite criticism , but in sted,
treat criticism as "their" best effort of love, they are capable of.
After all, if I have a fault that I am unaware of, and some one makes the effort to reveal it to me , that may give me the oppurtunity to better my self , doing more good than harm.
On the other hand seeing some one with a trail of toilet paper on their shoe and saying nothing , would actually be hateful.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:29 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
I got picked on mercilessly during school. Now, I don't trust anyone and hate most of humanity and think they have ulterior motives and I'm usually right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships