Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
For me attraction is stricly physical. The only way that a woman becomes more or less attractive in my eyes is if her physical appearance changes either for better or worse. No other factors afect attractiveness in my eyes. No attractiveness would make it impossible for a seroius relationship because the chemistry would be hindered
I am mostly the opposite of this. I have found that the relative attractiveness of a woman to me increases the more I am attracted to non physical attributes about her person/personality. Thats not to say physical attractiveness is not set in stone. Just that my level of want and desire for a woman is influenced by things more than just her straight physical appearance.

The best way I can put it is that I find attractiveness to be closely linked to chemistry. At least for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:36 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,129 times
Discourse in this thread can sound very simplistic in some comments, so it's worth to make a critical observation.

The major issue that people have today is the expectation of one or more of the following things:
1. Lack of, or diminished sexual attraction towards other people, except the person you date/are in relationship with
2. Sexual attraction towards the person you're in relationship with should be very high
3. #1 and #2 should continue throughout the whole lifetime, with sexual attraction towards your spouse being higher than towards anyone else.

Now, combine this with the attitudes, reasoning and behavior that people have today and you'll see why it is a recipe for dissatisfaction, it's like an invitation for dishonesty and lies for so many people. In other words, people are served with conflicting messages and they are in a constant conflict as well.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:36 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
To each their own. However, I personally would rather be alone for the rest of my life than be with a woman that didn't 100% turn me on. Again, been there, done that. What's interesting is that when I was younger & less sure of what I wanted, I did "settle". Now that I'm older & presumably should be more interested in settling down, I am actually much pickier & non-compromising when it comes to these things. Of course, I'm not into LTR's anymore, which helps. I'm also a lot happier than when I was younger
I think that's easier to say if you often find yourself 100% turned on by the people you date. For me, even being turned on 75% would be pretty amazing.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:38 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Some people get hotter once you get to know them. A big belly suddenly doesn't seem so big, the ugly eyes are suddenly cute and the big wart on the chin becomes interesting

I have had two long relationships with guys I wasn't physically attracted to for the first half year of hanging out. Once I got to know them and really liked their personality, I fell in love and didn't care anymore, they became super hot to me.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:23 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
I want to clear something up regarding my previous post. I said that to me attractinveness is striclty physical because that is what looks do for me. Now that being said I want to point out that to me Attractiveness is one thing and Desirability is another one. I will never find a woman more attractive because I get to know her better. Only if her physical appearance improves will I find her more attractive however I can find her more desirable over time because I get to know her better and we click but not more attractive. I know women that I find very attractive but not desirable. To me attraction is only physical, when referring to personality and chemistry that is when desirability comes into play. Two very different things. To me attractivness can exist without desirability but desirability cannot exist without attractiveness. That is how I function.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:42 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
What I found was a man 48 years older
Really? 48 years older than you? Or 48 years old?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Really? 48 years older than you? Or 48 years old?
LOL! Holy smokes... I usually catch my errors but that's a big one.

48 years old. 12 years older than my 36 year old self.

Yikes...

Old 07-31-2015, 01:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I don't have a preferred physical type. I have a mental/emotional type. The rest isn't as important as the brain power & heart power, as I call it. If there's a good mental/emotional/cultural connection, the rest will fall into place.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
It's an interesting question for me because I don't know that I have a "physical type" so to speak. I know what I don't like physically, but beyond that, I am pretty open when it comes to looks so long as the personality and chemistry work for me. Aside from those physical "dislikes" it's more like the personalty of that person makes or breaks if they "look good" to me physically.
Yep.

I have a pretty wide range of "types."

Old 07-31-2015, 02:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,784 times
I gotta tell you, I have dated people I wasn't crazy about the way they looked, who had wonderful personalities...they were funny and nice, laughed at my silly jokes and were such fun to be around. Then, when the lights went down, and the covers went down, eeeeeewwwwwww!

And there is something to be said for looking into a pair of dreamy eyes and seeing them looking dreamily back into yours as if you are the most fetching thing they have ever seen!
(Did I just now say "fetching"? Oh no! I am really showing my age! I don't think I have ever used that word in my life until now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships