Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
That's not necessarily a financial mistake, a) you don't know what his monthly payment is b) you don't know if he uses it for a tax write off, which would make it good financial decision....too many unknowns to be making such a snap judgement.
Yeah. I'm sure THIS GUY is thinking about tax write-offs. LOL

I don't need to know the monthly payment. It's not a snap judgment. Leasing a car is universally recognized by people who understand finance as a terrible idea. He literally could be flushing money down the toilet and would accomplish the same thing. Well, he couldn't drive the toilet, but financially, it is the same.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:25 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Huge difference in parents wanting to give you money from time to time and parents giving you money monthly, because you live in a high-rent area. Get some roommates.
True, but in comparison to her boyfriend, seems like she's way more financially independent than he is. I'm assuming he is living rent free in his parents house.

I agree she needs to clean up her act, but I think lots of the posters are being a bit too harsh on her. JMO

Old 09-04-2015, 01:33 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yeah. I'm sure THIS GUY is thinking about tax write-offs. LOL

I don't need to know the monthly payment. It's not a snap judgment. Leasing a car is universally recognized by people who understand finance as a terrible idea. He literally could be flushing money down the toilet and would accomplish the same thing. Well, he couldn't drive the toilet, but financially, it is the same.

Yea he may be thinking about tax write-offs judging from all his coupon clippings and penny pinching.

Well as a someone who works in the finance industry and having graduated from one of the top business schools in the country, I can tell you, your assumption is false. With your logic, owning a car period is flushing money down the toilet (which may be true, but is a necessity), since cars depreciate at an exponential rate, by the time you've paid it off through the standard 5 year financing plan, it's worth virtually nothing. Anyway, if he doesn't need a car, then yes I'd agree with you that he's flushing money down the toilet, but I'm assuming since he's a salesman, and lives in south Florida (which I don't think is an urban area) he probably doesn't have much access to public transportation, and therefore needs a car.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
True, but in comparison to her boyfriend, seems like she's way more financially independent than he is. I'm assuming he is living rent free in his parents house.

I agree she needs to clean up her act, but I think lots of the posters are being a bit too harsh on her. JMO
She is a step or two ahead of him, but her mindset is not where it should be for someone who claims to want to be completely independent.

She assumes that HE is the problem here, when they both have issues that are keeping them from progressing.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:10 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,845 times
Work on becoming a completely financially independent adult. Yes, you may need a second job, or you could downscale your expectations/requirements and make it on the one you have.
Dump him. He's a cheapskate (and enjoys spending all his free time going all over Creation to save a few cents) , and people with this kind of money-hoarding obsession do not change. I speak from experience.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:55 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I'm not sure why everyone is beating up on the OP. I think she's sick of her cheapskate boyfriend and is asking us if it's okay to break up with him.

He's not going to improve. Don't marry a guy who's not on the same page with you, most of the time.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:05 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I'm not sure why everyone is beating up on the OP. I think she's sick of her cheapskate boyfriend and is asking us if it's okay to break up with him.

He's not going to improve. Don't marry a guy who's not on the same page with you, most of the time.
He's a very black kettle - but she's a brown bucket. She still takes money from her parents, while spending money on expensive Cirque du Soleil tickets. She's doing better than he is - and needs to dump that perpetual child, but she needs to work on growing all the way up, herself. Maybe if she were dating a grown-up, it would help. Hanging out with Peter Pan is allowing herself to justify that she still depends somewhat on daddy and mommy, but that she's not as bad as Peter.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:05 PM

720 posts, read 500,923 times
I think y'all are being a bit harsh towards the OP. It's slightly misdirected. It seems to me the real problem isn't that her boyfriend is "cheap" -- he's broke. She's mostly independent -- she works, she lives on her own, she pays her own way and her boyfriend's way a lot of the time -- but she wants him to treat her more often. Problem is, her boyfriend doesn't have the means to do it.

There are two sides to every story, but if this dude is how OP has portrayed him, he sounds like a bum. A big, stubborn baby who is living off his parents and is looking for every excuse to not grow up. He can't work a full-time job, save his money, and move out because the world is gonna end soon. Sounds like he's one can short of a six-pack.

OP, you can waste another year or so with this guy, or you can buckle down, find yourself a better paying job, and leave this chicken dinner alone. Find a guy who is similarly self-sufficient and you wont have to worry about someone treating you out. I wouldn't make a big deal about stuff like shopping at Costco because everybody has to save money where they can, but being cheap and being perpetually broke are not the same thing.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
OP, your boyfriend doesn't sound like he is worth your time or mental energy. Dump him!

Old 09-11-2015, 08:41 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
Sounds like a match made in hell......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships